TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Excessive Grooming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Excessive Grooming

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Okay, I'm new so I'll give some background:
I have a seven-month-old kitten who recently ate a foam earplug and had to have surgery to remove it from her intestine. I feel like the worst pet owner ever because of this, and there is a fine chance that I'm overreacting.

Since the operation (about three days ago) she's been grooming herself more than usual. And it's not even her belly, where the incision was, but her back. Normally I'd chalk it up to "Something bad happened to me and I need to do something to control the circumstances!" but this morning, after she ate, she started making terrible wheezing noises.
The Internet, which never lies, told me that this could be a sign of a hairball.

Does anyone have any ideas if I have a totally broken kitten? I fully plan to call the vet after the holiday, I just find myself unable to sleep due to the fact I broke my kitten.
post #2 of 13
My Cat has Asthma and Wheezes. Some Cats do it fom certain foods. Not sure why your Cat does it.
post #3 of 13
If the kitten is grooming a lot it could defiantly be a hairball. If it is a hairball you can use some hairball remedy that you can get from any place that sells pet supplies. The wheezing will become more of a coughing or a "vomit" noise if it is a hairball. Your kitty isn't broken. you didn't mean for the kitty to eat the ear plug and you are taking good care of your baby by getting it the medical attention it needed. I would defiantly go to the vet to make sure that everything is ok. But, a hairball would be my guess. Vibes and prayers for your kitty to feel better! Just take a deep breath and remember that everything will be ok!
post #4 of 13
Sending that its just a hairball!
post #5 of 13
It might be as simple as hairball and it might be something more complex. Excessive grooming after an operation or procedure as large as yours could be a way to control her stress. It also could signal hypothyroidsim or food allergies, two of the most commonly mis-diagnosed --and hard to diagnose -- symptoms from excessive grooming. I am so glad you have opened your heart to this delightful kitty and cared for her.

My only concern is your regard for the "Internet never lies"...there is certainly a wealth of information out there but nothing beats good quality time with an experienced vet. I, too, type in everything and anything on Google and see what comes up and educate myself far beyond the basics in that regard, but I have learned the hard way---and in a very sad way -- that the Internet is only a tool and should not be relied upon for everything.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashacat421 View Post
It might be as simple as hairball and it might be something more complex. Excessive grooming after an operation or procedure as large as yours could be a way to control her stress. It also could signal hypothyroidsim or food allergies, two of the most commonly mis-diagnosed --and hard to diagnose -- symptoms from excessive grooming. I am so glad you have opened your heart to this delightful kitty and cared for her.

My only concern is your regard for the "Internet never lies"...there is certainly a wealth of information out there but nothing beats good quality time with an experienced vet. I, too, type in everything and anything on Google and see what comes up and educate myself far beyond the basics in that regard, but I have learned the hard way---and in a very sad way -- that the Internet is only a tool and should not be relied upon for everything.
EXACTLY..
post #7 of 13
She may have been grooming so much to get rid of the 'vet' smell from her fur, and the hairball is a consequence. Not much help I know, but these things happen.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thank you for all the responses and vibes. It was also pointed out to be that the wheezing may have to do with an irritated throat due to the breathing tube she got during the operation.

The "Internet never lies" part was meant to be a joke. There's been many a time when WebMD has diagnosed me with Whooping Cough or scurvy, and I know better than to trust everything I read, I swear.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalander View Post
Thank you for all the responses and vibes. It was also pointed out to be that the wheezing may have to do with an irritated throat due to the breathing tube she got during the operation.

The "Internet never lies" part was meant to be a joke. There's been many a time when WebMD has diagnosed me with Whooping Cough or scurvy, and I know better than to trust everything I read, I swear.

Of course!
How is she doing?? Very interested to hear. How is she progressing today and how are you doing?
post #10 of 13
I saw Ishy's photo in New Cats....
she is adorable.

Under the circumstances, I think that I would want to have Ishy seen by your vet for the current issue.
Better safe than sorry.

I am sending vibes that everything is OK with your cutie pie...
please keep us updated.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the wishes and vibes, guys.

The Noodle (my personal nickname for her, since that is, I fear, what her brain may be made of) has eased up on the grooming, and I started giving her a little bit of a hairball remedy in the mornings. Oddly, it's her favorite thing since a coworker knitted her a dreidel full of catnip. We also had a frank discussion about eating earplugs, and when she got a lick of the one with tobasco on it, she repented her ways. I think that, like a human baby, she has just decided to tackle the world mouth-first.

This morning, for the first time since her operation, she woke me up in her customary way - knocking everything over to get my attention then a pounce and a little kitty massage on my tummy till I get up. She really is a sweetie.
post #12 of 13
I have 2 cats that recently both took trips to the vet, and when they both got home they were not only bathing themselves more, they were bathing each other alot more, so I agree that it is probably the vet smell he was trying to get rid of. Cats don't like the doctor anymore than we do. But it's good to hear that the Noodle is doing better.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalander View Post
This morning, for the first time since her operation, she woke me up in her customary way - knocking everything over to get my attention then a pounce and a little kitty massage on my tummy till I get up. She really is a sweetie.
This is excellent news.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Excessive Grooming