TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › For every woman who ever feels inadequate...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For every woman who ever feels inadequate...

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
As a graphic artist, I used to retouch photos with a program called Photoshop all the time, and I thought I knew what was being done with model shots... but I had no idea. You've got to see this:

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/
post #2 of 27
OMG that was awesome thanks for that now everytime I look at one of those magazines I wont feel so bad! I cant believe they do all that!
post #3 of 27
One of my teachers showed us that and another video about touch ups. I wish I could remember what it was.....I'll surf you tube for it real quick...
post #4 of 27
I found it I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


This is AWESOME! It's a Dove flim.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fPQlpqfVLug
post #5 of 27
Thanks..now when I look at one of those magazines, I won't feel as happy...lol
post #6 of 27
I remember the Dove video - its amazing how much they change a girl - and for what?
post #7 of 27
I remember reading something awhile back about Jennifer Lopez's photos being retouched. They thought her backside was too big. Sheesh.

I'm going to pass this on to my nieces
post #8 of 27
I remember that commercial too. Yeah it is getting pretty pathetic of how we see beauty. People are dying literally all for the sake of it.
post #9 of 27
Cool!

Now I don`t feel like I`ve fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

It`s so sad that alot of people are so shallow. I guess they ignore all the damage it does. Nice to see a company like Dove trying to redress the balance!
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
As a graphic artist, I used to retouch photos with a program called Photoshop all the time, and I thought I knew what was being done with model shots... but I had no idea. You've got to see this:

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/
Oh yeah. i so know about it. I am glad you made the thread here so let everyone that models or star movies pictures are not always what you are seeing. i ll wait till i see someone girl who mentions about their own bodies, and i will tell them "you are imagining yourself into so bitter too much" i think everyones beautiful with their own naturals. i wish i could get a link for this so i can play with my own picture to see how are those pictures being done look like. haha
post #11 of 27
I've seen the Dove video. I've known about "airbrushing" for a long time. I've seen magazine pictures so touched up that the texture of the models skin looks very fake. Look closely next time you pick up a magazine, and you'll see what I mean. It's moreso apparent in men's magazines.

Here's an even better example of how retouched and altered models' pics can be:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0VI8j-xfFNE *WARNING* Naked bottom.
post #12 of 27
I wanna look like the "Swedish Bikini Team" (as I call them) in the Santa hats, in the lower-left-hand corner of the "Why we do this" part of the website.

Any of them will do...

We women always are complaining about our appearance--admittedly, I'd rather hear someone do that, rather than brag, but still. I have a friend, in her 50's, who is tall and skinny. She has lost weight (though I think she didn't need to), and told her what a nice butt she has in pants, and what nice, slender legs she has. She thanked me, but then said, "But it's too [her butt] wide, don't you think?" (And no, it's NOT; it's actually rather small for a woman.)

Ladies, we're not supposed to look like men! We're supposed to have some padding, especially around the hips and rear!
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
I found it I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


This is AWESOME! It's a Dove flim.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fPQlpqfVLug

Does anyone remember the commercial from a few years back about drug abuse (think it was about heroin)? It showed a model,who was a long-time drug addict, and her make-over done in reverse. They removed her make-up, which had made her skin look healthy, her cheek implants (her face in, reality, was sunken, as she had lost her teeth at a very, very young age), and then her false teeth. It was a simple, yet powerful message.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeCat View Post
Does anyone remember the commercial from a few years back about drug abuse (think it was about heroin)? It showed a model,who was a long-time drug addict, and her make-over done in reverse. They removed her make-up, which had made her skin look healthy, her cheek implants (her face in, reality, was sunken, as she had lost her teeth at a very, very young age), and then her false teeth. It was a simple, yet powerful message.
I remember that commercial.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeCat View Post

We women always are complaining about our appearance--admittedly, I'd rather hear someone do that, rather than brag, but still. I have a friend, in her 50's, who is tall and skinny. She has lost weight (though I think she didn't need to), and told her what a nice butt she has in pants, and what nice, slender legs she has. She thanked me, but then said, "But it's too [her butt] wide, don't you think?" (And no, it's NOT; it's actually rather small for a woman.)

Ladies, we're not supposed to look like men! We're supposed to have some padding, especially around the hips and rear!
I read an article awhile back that said guys actually prefer to have a woman with some curves instead of a stick figure. I looked up and asked the hubby if it was true (because I was feeling like I needed some positives for not looking like I did in High School) and he said that he actually preferred a woman who looks like a stick figure
post #16 of 27
that's awful.

but thanks for the site. I teach middle school this is something the should know about. If they don't already.
post #17 of 27
As i have said several times before. I had a friend back in collage who was in playboy.
She looked nothing like what showed up.

smooth airbrush to make her skin white.
smaller hips, bigger chest, bigger lips.

people seem to forget add compaines , TV, porn etc. are saling a dream not reality.
post #18 of 27
oh my gosh! i can't believe what lengths some people go to!
post #19 of 27
Its crazy how much a person can be changed by a program! I love that, thanks for posting
post #20 of 27
its amazing what you can do with photo editing software. i love photoshop. This is one of my examples i have done in the past. Its a photo of my imediate family, minus one brother in law who was at work and my brother who was behind the camera. But with careful editing they are both in the family picture. So yea, if i can do this as a amature just fooling around its not hard to imagine what a professional could do.


This was the orriginal picture.

my brother in laws picture taken the next day.

my brothers picture

Brother Added


Final picture after 5 edits.
post #21 of 27
Wow!! I can't believe that!!!!!! Every young teenage girl should see this!
post #22 of 27
Wow!! All that is amazing!!!
post #23 of 27
Personally, I think the girl looks better before all the retouching.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
I do too! The pose is already provocative enough -- but the retouching makes the girl look downright trashy, and I hate to see childhood brought to such an early end.

Retouching isn't always a bad thing, of course -- the photographer who took the author photo for my father's book (coming out next year) did an outstanding job of softening the scars from my father's skin cancer surgeries.
post #25 of 27
It just makes me so sad knowing that girls everywhere are seeing these pics that are basically mutilated and they try so hard to look like these false images. I'll admit that from time to time I see an actress/model/singer and think to myself wow she has beautiful legs or such a cute nose but deep down I know that I can't afford the plastic surgeon or the personal trainer or diet expert they can. I live in the real world where after working 8 hours attending my meetings Mon, Wed and thurs nights a pizza is all I can muster up the energy to get for dinner. But I'm ok with that. My SO tells me all the time how sexy he finds me and how beautiful I am.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl View Post
I've seen the Dove video. I've known about "airbrushing" for a long time. I've seen magazine pictures so touched up that the texture of the models skin looks very fake. Look closely next time you pick up a magazine, and you'll see what I mean. It's moreso apparent in men's magazines.

Here's an even better example of how retouched and altered models' pics can be:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0VI8j-xfFNE *WARNING* Naked bottom.
Oh my goodness! I haven't seen that video before! Really amazing!


It is terribly sad how women see themselves I hope times change and HEALTHY women with some meat on their bones are seen as the sexy women!
post #27 of 27
I think the whole skinny stick thing started with fashion designers who found it was easier to design fashion for hangers than real women.

I know how women take these idealized visions and become dysfunctional. I've never really heard the male side of it. Are they looking for perfect unachievable women or do they find us attractive in our own skins?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › For every woman who ever feels inadequate...