Can someone please tell me what FIP is?

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have found nothing with the search function that explains what it is. All the info I've seen, is how cats has passed away from it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a disease caused by a coronavirus infection. Many different strains of coronavirus are capable of infecting cats, but most do not produce serious disease. FIP-producing strains are distinguished by their ability to invade and grow in certain white blood cells. The infected cells transport the virus throughout the cat's body. An intense inflammatory reaction occurs in the tissues where these virus-infected cells locate. It is this interaction between the body's own immune system and the virus that is responsible for the disease.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FIP is a disease caused by the FIP-virus (FIPV). FIPV is a mutated form of Feline Enteric Corona Virus (FECoV). FIPV isn't a contagious however FECoV is and it basically transmitts through litter boxes. The mutation that creates FIPV occurs within the cat and is caused by genetic factors and different kind of stressors.

FECoV is normally a harmless virus and up to 80% of all purebred cats (all indoor cats?) encounters the virus some time during their life. It mutates to FIPV in appr. 5-10% of the cats.

It's most common that young cats develop FIP. The sympoms are many and often diffuse to it can be very hard to diagnose. There's no definite test for the disease, only an autopsy will give a definite diagnose.

You can read more about FIP here:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fip.html
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/fip.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/fip.html

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Hissy is the FIP expert on site!

Alot of us having been going through the whole FIP thing recently!

I lost my Glitch Nov 16th to the Wet form of FIP. There are some people on here that have kitties who have the dry form of FIP and they do a little bit better. The wet kind is pretty much a death sentence! Terrible to say, but its true...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a cure?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to toss this out there for others who are reading this thread

FIP is not the same as FIV.
FIV cats can live long, healthy lives. They really need different initials for these!
"V" and "P" sound way too much alike.

I had a kitten die from FIP once. It was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed. As far as I know, there is no cure.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no cure for FIP. The wet FIP is much worse than the dry form. With the wet form, goo starts to fill the belly, they become extremly lathargic, they wont eat, wont drink... Alls you can do at this point is be there for your kitty. There are ways to prolong their life, but with the wet form its just giving them fluids every couple hours and special meds. My kitty was too far gone and didn't qualify for any other meds than the ones he was on. When he could no longer do anything for himself, I made the decision. I took him to the vet, the vet said we can probably keep him alive until monday or tuesday.... I said what quality of life would he have the last few days, they said a poor quality. I knew right then what had to be done... It still doesn't make it any easier!! So I held my boy, while they put the shot in, I watched him go. I held him throughout the whole process, crying! The last words he ever heard were mine, telling him how much I loved him....It was a horrible expereience that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. NO kitty deserves to go through that, and no owner deserves to watch the best friend they have ever had, die like that. I am thankful they made it fast for him.... I couldn't have taken it otherwise~

The whole process of your kitty getting sick with the WET form of FIP to death, is usually between when the first symptoms of belly swelling, to when they can no longer move on there own takes just weeks in most cases!

Just typing this stuff on a computer is very hard on me, so excuse me if anything was spelled wrong or anything like that...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Are there shots to prevent cats from getting this?
There's an intranasal vaccine, but there's quite a bit of controversy about its effectiveness, so it's not recommended by a great many vets.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Are there shots to prevent cats from getting this?
There's a vaccine available but it's only effective if the cat has tested negative for FECoV before it's inoculated with the vaccine. The effectiveness is also controversial. The vaccine is calculated to give 0-70% of protection against FIP... in other words, there's no way you completely can protect your cat from FIP except from keeping your home free from FECoV which isn't easy. In catteries it's according to some impossible, others claim it can be done if you work hard and keep rigorous hygiene.

My personal belief is that breeding healthy cats, feeding them well, keeping stressors at a minimum and keep normal hygiene is the way to go and no, I don't vaccinate my cats against FIP.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

There's a vaccine available but it's only effective if the cat has tested negative for FECoV before it's inoculated with the vaccine. The effectiveness is also controversial. The vaccine is calculated to give 0-70% of protection against FIP... in other words, there's no way you completely can protect your cat from FIP except from keeping your home free from FECoV which isn't easy. In catteries it's according to some impossible, others claim it can be done if you work hard and keep rigorous hygiene.

My personal belief is that breeding healthy cats, feeding them well, keeping stressors at a minimum and keep normal hygiene is the way to go and no, I don't vaccinate my cats against FIP.
Good post.
Most of the articles I've read claim 60 to 80% efficacy, but I have my doubts. Unfortunately, an FIP vaccination is required for any cats boarded in my county, even at vets' offices, so Jamie (indoor, taken outside every day wearing a harness) and the neighbors' moochers (indoor/outdoor) get the vaccine. So far, so good, but...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet doesn't give the vaccine for it at least not on a routine basis. I guess if someone was required to get it for their cats for some reason they would get it for them. I have been on some breeders websites mostly for Siamese and I noticed a lot of them have put in the contract that the FIP vaccine will void the health part of the contract. It does seem like I have been seeing more posts about cats having it lately.

sapling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats has been looking very sick - we took him to the vet and they did a ton of bloodwork, then got back to us today to say

- He has an elevated white blood cell count
- He is anemic
- He has elevated liver enzymes

They wouldn't get any more specific, only saying "He may have a virus, or some form of cancer, but there's nothing more we can do."

I find this a very unsatisfying answer - they can't even diagnose him?! So I did some internet research myself and came up with FIP, which is heartbreaking... what makes it seem to fit is his odd bodyshape - on his back and neck you can just feel ever single bone and ridge, but then he's got a pouchy underbelly. I didn't understand it, but now it sounds just like wet FIP.

He's lying on my bed curled up against my shoulder right now.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ug,

I'm so sorry to hear that your kitty is sick. I hope it is not FIP! Please let us know!

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sapling

One of our cats has been looking very sick - we took him to the vet and they did a ton of bloodwork, then got back to us today to say

- He is anemic

They wouldn't get any more specific, only saying "He may have a virus, or some form of cancer, but there's nothing more we can do."

I find this a very unsatisfying answer - they can't even diagnose him?! So I did some internet research myself and came up with FIP, which is heartbreaking... what makes it seem to fit is his odd bodyshape - on his back and neck you can just feel ever single bone and ridge, but then he's got a pouchy underbelly. I didn't understand it, but now it sounds just like wet FIP.

I'd definitely go to another vet.. especially if he's acting sick. I just lost my 7 month old kitten to what I'm thinking may be the wet form of FIP and it was AWFUL once it really 'hit' him. Trust me, if it is FIP, you don't want to wait and have him get to the point of suffering. Actually, regardless of what it is, you don't want to let him suffer.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sapling

- He is anemic

I hate to say the "F" word, but I'm sorry to say that it sounds as if your kitty may have the wet form of FIP, which is indeed fatal: there is no cure for it. I would get a second opinion from another vet - especially if you can't get something more constructive from your vet. But even if you do get a more accurate diagnosis, there is no actual positive diagnosis test available for FIP unless an autopsy is performed to determine FIP. The bloated belly is usually a pretty accurate indication that the cat does have the wet form of FIP. Did your vet drain any fluid from your kitty's belly to determine what's causing the bloating? I sure hope it's not FIP.

As already stated, there is no cure for the wet form of FIP. There are, however, some drugs available to help keep a cat in remission if they have the dry form of FIP. I have 2 cats now who were "diagnosed" w/ the dry form, and they are both on Interferon to help keep them in remission. Both of them are doing well on the treatment so far.

Let us know what happens with your furbaby.
If it does turn out to be FIP, the humane thing to do would be to have your baby PTS. No one wants to consider that option, but it's the humane thing to do. There are several members here who have had to make that heartbreaking decision, and even though I know they dreaded having to do so, they knew in their hearts that they did what was best for their furbabies..

~KK~

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please try and find another vet... It doesn't sound like your vet is being very through...

Keep us updated....

Lots of vibes for you and your baby

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FIP...OMG I SHAKE AT THAT WORD!!!! My 1st Kitty in 25 years died feb 14 2007 of it.
It was so sad, she was suffering greatly and we decided to put her down, she was only 10 months old. It broke my heart but i knew she had to be put out of her misery. it hits fast and hard and if a cat gets it , its usually around 10 months old. The skinny body and fat belly sounds just like my kittygirl. She stopped using the litterbox also. I knew we had to do something when she started to hide.
I am so sorry and I know its hard to make a decision like this, but I think of my Kittygirl pain-free and happily playing "over the rainbow bridge" Best Wishes! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

sapling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Just an update - Boxer is doing MUCH better!

We found out he either has a B12 deficiency or a food allergy - so he's on a special diet and gets a B12 shot about once a week. He's doing so much better - his fur is very soft and fluffy and he's plumped out and is perking around.

Thanks so much for your support and information!