Calcium Oxilate Crystals...

jasmine's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question regarding my sister-in-laws kitty. He just had surgery to remove several Calcium Oxilate Crystals. The vet has recommended the kibble... "Royal Canin Vet Diet, Urinary SO 30". I was thinking Nature's Variety Raw patties (since this seems to be a problem due to chronic dehydration)... but she would really like to feed a kibble. One of the best kibbles that comes to mind is Innova Evo... but I don't know what to think since he already has a pre-existing condition. What do you guys think would be best??

Thanks!
Sandra

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what the ingredients are in Innova Evo - but with calcium oxilate crystals the problem is how the kitties metabolise calcium. The "worst" type of calcium for kitty when they're prone to these type of crystals is greens and I remember our vet saying something about the magnesium levels (which help metabolise the calcium) in seafood - so greens and seafood need to be avoided. No more kitty grass. No fresh catnip. No seafood flavors of anything - no tuna, shrimp or whatever as treats.

Our Tuxedo also had surgery to remove calcium oxilate crystals that had become embedded in his bladder wall.

The problem is not hydration - though it can contribute. Dry food is fine - perhaps suggest she consider purchasing drinking fountains to encourage hydration. Also, we feed the cats one meal of wet food a day, though they free feed on dry all day. She can also boil chicken and feed them the chicken-water to encourage hydration. And meat baby foods make great treats for kitties with this tendency. Ours get it instead of regular treats. And we mix a touch of warm water into the baby food before we put it down for them to snack on.

Royal Canin is actually a pretty high quality food, and IMO there's nothing wrong with the vet's suggestion.

Laurie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a vet gives a RX usually it is for a acute illness... in this case IMHO I think it is to dissolve the stone s ... LAURIE gave a great list of do and donts.... If you think another food is good I suggest taking a copy or ingrediantand analysis panel to the vet and going over it ... IMHO and I AM NOT an EXPERT with oxalayte but NONE of the grain frees are uti friendly

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

When a vet gives a RX usually it is for a acute illness... in this case IMHO I think it is to dissolve the stones...
Actually, you can't dissolve calcium oxalate crystals.
Struvite crystals can be dissolved by lowering the pH of the urine, but calcium oxalate crystals have to be flushed from the system - thus the issue with hydration so kitty doesn't become blocked and need to have the system flush done at the vet - but the prescription diet is to prevent the formation of calcium oxalate crystals.

( ...and I'm no expert either. Just two of our kitties have had calcium oxalate crystals, and one has had struvite crystals).

Laurie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Actually, you can't dissolve calcium oxalate crystals.
Struvite crystals can be dissolved by lowering the pH of the urine, but calcium oxalate crystals have to be flushed from the system - thus the issue with hydration so kitty doesn't become blocked and need to have the system flush done at the vet - but the prescription diet is to prevent the formation of calcium oxalate crystals.

( ...and I'm no expert either. Just two of our kitties have had calcium oxalate crystals, and one has had struvite crystals).

Laurie
AHH thank you ... I thought both got dissilved ..lol... too much reading at once