Australian native birds.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest son lives on the South Coast of NSW & he used to feed the native birds & they became quite friendly. He's a landscape gardner & they were also eating the buds of the native shrubs he'd planted, so he no longer feeds them.

There are Eastern Rosellas, Rainbow Lorikeets & a male King Parrot.
We had a Rainbow Lorikeet (the birds on the dish) for 9 years until he died earlier this year. He had flown away a few times & we could hear him talking from the trees around our neighbours's houses. One time he flew up our driveway & over the house across the street. I thought that would be the last time we'd see him. My youngest son was home, so he went on his bicycle around the streets. He saw 2 young boys looking at something in a bush. 'Big Bird' was in the bush, & to the amazement of the 2 boys, Big Bird said 'hello', jumped onto my son's shoulder & rode home with my son on the bike.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eeeeeeeeee, eastern rosellas~! I love how pretty they are! I want to someday build an aviary and keep a few, in Florida. <3 Maybe.

Nice pic! I've always dreamed of visiting AUS, because I love all of the native parrots, such as cockatoos and cockatiels, as well as bourke's parakeets and budgies.

If there are rainbow lorikeets in FL, it's probably because of them either escaping from owners, or being let free, like the quaker parrots down there. Many species of non-native parrots have done such.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're lovely, aren't they? My grandparents live in Manly, and they get these beautiful birds daily on their balcony - they're on the third floor so they're kind of up in the trees anyway. So lovely. I remember when we went over to visit them when I was much younger I spent ages each day talking to the birds!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I thought my goldfinches, cardinals, and blue jays were colorful.

Thanks for posting the pic!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I loved all the birds in the picture and I know that you know that I have been to Australia.
Lorikeets? Saw the Rainbow, Musk and Little Lorikeets. Rosellas? Saw the Crimson, Pale-headed, Eastern, and, my favorite, the Green Rosella. We were at Port Arthur in Tassie and this Green Rosella flew by in the field of vision of my binoculars. Unbelievable.
From my signature, you can see I have budgies. Had 5 at one time, but some passed and are flying in bird heaven. However, all my budgies talk. They sound like me (Uh-Oh, with a NY accent). They mostly like pretty birdie or what a good birdie or some variation. My Sandy, though, is quite a talker. I asked him once, "How are you?" and he said, "I'm fine thank you and you?' Thought I was going to do something in my pants.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

OMG! I loved all the birds in the picture and I know that you know that I have been to Australia.
Lorikeets? Saw the Rainbow, Musk and Little Lorikeets. Rosellas? Saw the Crimson, Pale-headed, Eastern, and, my favorite, the Green Rosella. We were at Port Arthur in Tassie and this Green Rosella flew by in the field of vision of my binoculars. Unbelievable.
*insanely jealous*

I'm glad I have friends Down Under...I really should hit them up for some parrot pics...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're not everywhere unfortunately - the birds in New South Wales are stunning, but we don't get rainbow lorikeets or those beautifully coloured parrots where I live in Perth

Our most common native parrot is the `28' - green with a yellow ring around its neck. This is considered a pest by most Western Australians but I think they're pretty.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG those are so beautiful! I wish birds around here were that pretty. Most of the birds i see are those nasty black ones that poop on your car after you freshly wash it.
stupid poopin birds anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

We would probably be more annoyed at their poop if they weren't so pretty and loving!
Lorikeets don't poop like most parrots, it's runny & they squirt it out sometimes, really messy.
Your Sandy is a beautiful budgie.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Lorikeets. The Newport (KY) Aquarium has a walkthrough display with them where you can feed them. They would perch all over your shoulders and arms, I think one did number two on dad's shirt.

Such beautiful critters.