scaredy cat

krushdstars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my 11 month old cat, who i adopted from a friend, at my house for about 2-3 weeks now and it still seems she hasnt settled in. I have a 2 story house and she still won't go downstairs. I did have kind of a "she'll go downstairs when she's comfortable enough" attitude, but I now see I'm going to have to take on another strategy. I also have a yorkie that stays downstairs and I have introduced them a few times and they're comfortable being in the same room, so I know she isn't scared of him. So what is it and what should I do? She's totally content being in the upstairs area (there are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom) and acts totally normal, affectionate, playful, etc. But at the same time, she's always "on the look out" out the bedroom door making sure something isn't coming for her. For this reason especially I feel like she needs to know that nothing's coming for her and she needs to look around downstairs.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krushdstars

I've had my 11 month old cat, who i adopted from a friend, at my house for about 2-3 weeks now and it still seems she hasnt settled in. I have a 2 story house and she still won't go downstairs. I did have kind of a "she'll go downstairs when she's comfortable enough" attitude, but I now see I'm going to have to take on another strategy. I also have a yorkie that stays downstairs and I have introduced them a few times and they're comfortable being in the same room, so I know she isn't scared of him. So what is it and what should I do? She's totally content being in the upstairs area (there are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom) and acts totally normal, affectionate, playful, etc. But at the same time, she's always "on the look out" out the bedroom door making sure something isn't coming for her. For this reason especially I feel like she needs to know that nothing's coming for her and she needs to look around downstairs.
Leave the cat alone. If she doesn't want to go downstairs, then she doesn't want to go downstairs.
Especially considering you got a dog downstairs.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats take awhile to get used to a new place, to the sounds outside and inside. They hear things we can't. Plus all the new odors and things to see. It sounds like she is doing one section at a time. She is comfortable upstairs which means you are doing something right
Cats are usually curious and she will investigate when she feels comfy enough to take the chance. Have you posted photos of her yet? We love those!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have their own schedule - just let her check things out in her own time is the best strategy.

I agree - you've done something really right if she's already happy and comfortable upstairs! An 11-month old cat can take quite a while to get comfortable in new territory.

Cats are territory oriented, and she's made upstairs her territory - she'll get around to downstairs at some point. Putting a litter box and food and water bowl will help (if you free feed) - but leave her stuff upstairs too.

Our cats are all feral rescues. They've made the entire home theirs (we moved here in May) - but they STILL constantly look out the bedroom door to see what evil lurks out there - even though the entire house is their territory. They jump and scatter at a loud noise (like a cough or when we drop something) - that's just the way they are.

Also - is there "vertical space" for her downstairs? She'll feel safer exploring there when she gets to it if she's sure she can get to her safe space upstairs and if she's got places to jump up onto downstairs.

Thanks for adopting this kitty!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krushdstars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put some food for her in the hallway by the stairs so when she goes to eat it, she has to be face to face with the stairs and she'll eventually get curious enough to go down them. She's totally comfortable upstairs and is being surprisingly bold. She goes to check whenever theres a noise anywhere upstairs (2 bedrooms and a full bathroom).