What to wear.... (wedding related)

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So.. As alot of you know, Trav and I are getting married around October/November 2008. We want to have the traditional big event but it will have to wait untill 2009. Reason is, that my family has to save to come to Australia and we want to settle down first before we have the big celebration, but due to a few reasons we have to get married as soon as we return to Australia. It will either be at a registry office or somewhere along the beach with a celebrant and our witnesses.

Would you wear your wedding dress twice?

Would you wear something fancy for the first little celebration?

or would you go in something like jeans and a shirt?

I was thinking of wearing a little cocktail dress but in a vanilla colour, and then the wedding dress for the big celebration, but im not quite sure what to do..
Whats your advice??

And what are some websites where i could look at for pretty dresses?? other than ebay! Keep in mind I'm still in Europe!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wedding dresses can b pricy- you may as well get your money's worth out of it- what's wrong with wearing it to both ceramonies?

I like the idea of getting married on the beach at a small ceramony for the first one- it just seems more intimate/romantic than in a court room.
Congrats Fran! You're going to be a beautiful bride!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to wear your wedding dress twice, then I say do so! If not, you can wear whatever you like. Whatever you are most comfortable in. I am supposed to wear my dress twice because Rob & I are getting married on a Tuesday somewhere where guests are limited to a grand total of 25 (including the bridge, groom, and officiant!) So that Saturday we are having a large reception at our house. His mom wants me to wear my dress again, but neither of us feel like dressing up a 2nd time (and my dress was only $50 off of a friend, so I don't feel obligated to wear it a lot to get my worth from it!). Plus, both of these events are going to be outdoors in February! Who knows how cold it'll be!? (Although, it is December and in the 70ºs right now).

Honestly, I think just do whatever YOU want to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know but my biggest fear is that ill put on too much weight to wear the dress again. I am buying my dress from here as its only 200 euros, its curretnly being custom made too.

Since last october ive already lost a size but i just hate having this yoyo effect

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I reckon wear a pretty cocktail dress for the registry wedding, then save the dress for the special occasion so it still feels special.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was me I would the the initial marriage on the beach in something I would wear again like a long gauzy skirt, sandals (or bare feet) and a pretty tank top. I would have a more dressy/formal look for the ceremony that your parents would be at.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd LOVE to be able to wear my wedding dress again. We have friends who got married in one state and had a second reception back near us. She wore her dress to the second celebration, and it was lovely. I think it really set the tone of making the second celebration special.

If the dress is being custom made, perhaps you can ask the seamstress to leave and extra inch or so of fabric in the seams, so if you do gain a bit of weight you can have it let out later.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a tough one.

Fran, as you probably know, you have to get married at a registry office first in Germany. We made the mistake of having both the civil and the religious ceremony on the same day (too much), and I opted for a cocktail dress for both ceremonies, figuring that would be more practical than a wedding gown, because we were planning a second reception in the U.S. (where I wore a different cocktail dress).

My b-i-l's ceremonies were about a year apart, and their civil ceremony was very casual (too casual - the guests were more dressed up than the bride and groom), and the religious ceremony very, very formal. Although nobody said it to their faces, an awful lot of the relatives and other guests thought the white wedding gown and tux too much for a couple who had already been legally married for a year.

I know several people who've worn formal garb for the civil ceremony. I'd probably do either/or: wedding gown for both ceremonies, or cocktail dress for both.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would be wearing that dress as many times as possible! If you love your dress, not only are you getting the joy of wearing it, but you're family will be able to see you in it (rather than just through pictures)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wore my wedding dress to both. The family wanted to take pictures of me in the dress and I thought it was fitting for Jamaica.

What does your family think?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm ordering my dress from China - I can have exactly what I want made to measure but for a fraction of the price

I would go with the little cocktail dress in a cream/vanilla colour. Do you have a Monsoon out by you? They tend to be great! A little pricey sometimes, but if you hit the sale rails (like the January sales) then you can get some really sweet deals on beautiful frocks! Good luck hun, and once again, congratulations!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I know but my biggest fear is that ill put on too much weight to wear the dress again. I am buying my dress from here as its only 200 euros, its curretnly being custom made too.

Since last october ive already lost a size but i just hate having this yoyo effect
They can resize and alter it even if you gain a little weight.

But just do whatever makes you the most happy- this is your special time!!!!
You're going to be a gorgeous bride no matter what you choose to wear! Do what makes you the most happy!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If you are planning on having a large wedding at some point in the future, save the wedding dress for that day.

My friend had a similar situation. She helped her fiance come over from Guyana and they had to get married within a certain period of time of him arriving. They had a small ceremony at the court house. She wore a simple dress and he wore a simple suit. A few months later they had a large wedding and she wore a wedding dress on that day.

But wear whatever you feel comfortable in. And there is no rule that says you need to have an elaborate gown for the "big wedding" either. I've been to weddings where the bride wore a pretty suit jacket and skirt for her first marriage and looked absolutely stunning.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That's a tough one.

Fran, as you probably know, you have to get married at a registry office first in Germany. We made the mistake of having both the civil and the religious ceremony on the same day (too much), and I opted for a cocktail dress for both ceremonies, figuring that would be more practical than a wedding gown, because we were planning a second reception in the U.S. (where I wore a different cocktail dress).

My b-i-l's ceremonies were about a year apart, and their civil ceremony was very casual (too casual - the guests were more dressed up than the bride and groom), and the religious ceremony very, very formal. Although nobody said it to their faces, an awful lot of the relatives and other guests thought the white wedding gown and tux too much for a couple who had already been legally married for a year.

I know several people who've worn formal garb for the civil ceremony. I'd probably do either/or: wedding gown for both ceremonies, or cocktail dress for both.
we arent getting married here, we already enquired and its wayy too much money, in total it would be about 3,000 euros just for the ceremonies because we are both not german *including alot of paperwork stress and its just not worth it) , and down to 300$AUD for us if we got married in Australia.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I'm ordering my dress from China - I can have exactly what I want made to measure but for a fraction of the price

I would go with the little cocktail dress in a cream/vanilla colour. Do you have a Monsoon out by you? They tend to be great! A little pricey sometimes, but if you hit the sale rails (like the January sales) then you can get some really sweet deals on beautiful frocks! Good luck hun, and once again, congratulations!
i would love to get it made in china, on ebay they have beautiful dresses and prices, but unfortunately the feedbacks from friends in Australia that did it were terrible, one of the girls i know on her wedding day her dress was falling apart on her and she had to hold parts up for the rest of the day.

I would reccomend checking the seams before putting it on!

Monsoon not that i know of, but ill have a look!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I wore my wedding dress to both. The family wanted to take pictures of me in the dress and I thought it was fitting for Jamaica.

What does your family think?
My "family" only includes of my parents, they really want to see me in a white wedding dress and so does Trav, and well.. his parents dont quite know yet, because we are theoretically eloping

I spoke about it to trav last night and he said it would be good to wear the dress on both occasions, so they both have a special meaning to the day!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said wear it twice!!!! Who can say they wore their wedding dress twice (and with the same man
)????