2 cats hate the dog!! HELP!!

chickymedic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am new here, and at the end of my leash..sort to speak. I really need some help!!!

3 years ago my husband and I brough home our chocolate labrador puppy (harley) into the house with 2 mature indoor female cats.
I have to admit, I was not educated on the subject of introducing Harley to the cats, and perhaps did it in appropriatly.
Since then, harley has grown to love the cats, he wants to play with them any chance she gets, the only problem is the cats hate her.
Harleys behavour with cats is not the problem, as we have tame barn cats, that live outside, and she gets along with them great. The barn cats love her, and she loves them, respects them, and plays with them nicely.

The problem is the indoor cats. Anytime she (harley) walks by one, it will hiss, yowl, spit, cry anything, which will send harley in a fury of excitement and want to chase/play with them. My house ends up with cats sratching the hardwood to get away, with my 70lbs lab hot on their trail. My house is a zoo!!!

I don't think its a harley thing, but a kitty thing. If the cats would just keep quiet when she walked by, she would take no notice, but they make such a raquet that she can't help herself to get in and play.

These cats are so vocal, dinner time at my place sounds like a cat symphony, it;s terrible.

Any suggestions on how to get Harely and the indoor cats to live in harmony?
How do I keep my indoor cat's yaps shut?!!!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPp

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand the introduction phase ended long ago - but the issue are the same: because you cannot control the cats, you will have to train the dog. Here is the TCS "manual" for introducing cats to dogs: http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/5...s-to-Dogs.html (there are two more sections - make sure you click on them).

In the meantime, while you work on retraining your dog, you should rub your dog all over, and put that "dog scented" towel under the cats' food dishes. Take another towel, and rub the dog all over with it, and after a good play session with the kitties, put treats out on that towel for them. The idea is to help the kitties come to associte the dog with good things. Remember - this is not going to happen overnight. I'd refresh that "dog scent" on the towel under their food dish every few days, and I'd continue with this and the treat towel for several months.

I don't know how to train dogs - but I'm sure that info is out there somewhere.

Hope this helps,

Laurie

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chickymedic

3 years ago my husband and I brough home our chocolate labrador puppy (harley) into the house with 2 mature indoor female cats.

Since then, harley has grown to love the cats, he wants to play with them any chance she gets, the only problem is the cats hate her.
Harleys behavour with cats is not the problem, as we have tame barn cats, that live outside, and she gets along with them great. The barn cats love her, and she loves them, respects them, and plays with them nicely.

The problem is the indoor cats. Anytime she (harley) walks by one, it will hiss, yowl, spit, cry anything, which will send harley in a fury of excitement and want to chase/play with them. My house ends up with cats sratching the hardwood to get away, with my 70lbs lab hot on their trail. My house is a zoo!!!

I don't think its a harley thing, but a kitty thing. If the cats would just keep quiet when she walked by, she would take no notice, but they make such a raquet that she can't help herself to get in and play.

These cats are so vocal, dinner time at my place sounds like a cat symphony, it;s terrible.

Any suggestions on how to get Harely and the indoor cats to live in harmony?
How do I keep my indoor cat's yaps shut?!!!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPp
Welcome! Glad you are here

My cats tease my big dogs too (one is over 90lbs.) they are NEVER allowed to chase the cat though. Yes, it is unfair she can tease them but they can really hurt her in rough wild play so that is out. Cats are cats, your cats are being cats. Most cats I know are no where near quiet and just sit around. Mine is always catting around up to no good.

Alowing your dogs to chase and get really worked up starts the prey drive kicking in and everyone gets along a lot better when they dogs learn to control themselves and let the kitty start the play, not them. You have to control the dog, you can't the cat(s).
You said Harley does a fury of excitment - that is NOT good with cats. That is a problem. Sorry. It will get worse from the time the dogs eyes light up for "play" and chase with kitty in that way. Maybe with time it will be better, but for now you must control the behavior of the dog to be calm around kitties. If you can't control your dog with your voice, use a leash while you are training.
And my cat is vocal too, never shuts up. This is just how she is and I deal with it
Sorry, can't help there. Use the search though about dogs like yours and cats, it seems to come up from time to time.