Sugar glider owners!!!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, I know there are other sugar glider owners out there, so show yourselves and your gliders!!!

I'll start...

WARNING!!! CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!! (you've been warned...)

Spice

Sugar

Faith

Annabelle

Silvara(she's not here yet, still at the breeder's. I got the pics from the breeder's site)

Sugar and Spice argueing over mealworms

Group pic!

kimistry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
w00t!!! SUGGIES!!

You are on GA aren't you!?!?!?!? I've seen that licky picture before!

My girlies, just about a 5 minutes ago...

Mimzy, helping me type about 2 minutes ago .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eek!!! Your girls are so "fluffy"! lol. I'm jealous, I keep telling mine to eat more. Annie will eat more, but then she spends the rest of the night working off the extra weight in the wheel, little bugger, haha.

Yup! I'm on GC. My username is Guerita135 and the pic you recognize is in my avatar.
Not many people like me there right now because of the whole "priscilla price" thread, lol. Who was I to know that in-breeding was an accepted practice.
Poor ignorant me.
Haha.

Alright, everyone else, I KNOW you're out there! Don't make me hunt you down! lol

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I love gliders they are so beautiful DH and I have looked into getting them but currently dont have the time for a caged animal
but one day...Yours are beautiful!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD! I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THOSE!!!!! EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

What are they like as pets??? Do they run away really fast? Get lost in your house? Bite?

I have a rat if that's close at all???

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I always like to start with telling people the cons. If you can survive that, THEN you can consider getting one, lol.

CONS:

*They poop/pee all over you

*They bark throughout the night

*They have VERY strict diets. MUST have fresh fruits/veggies every night as well as a "base" for their diet, which you have to make by hand.

*They can live up to 15 years(or longer), so that's a LONG commitment.

*They bite and "crab"(pretty much their way of "yelling" at you)

*You have to spend HOURS with them each day in order for them to bond with you

*You have to be VERY careful what you put in their cage or they could get injured/die

*Males will pee all over and it smells awful(so I've heard...)

*Vet bills are VERY expensive because they are exotic animals

*You have to keep them in a HUGE cage(The new one I'm getting will be about 6 ft tall). Their cage needs to be at LEAST 3 feet tall, the bigger the better.

*They need out-of-cage time every day.

I'm sure there are some more negative things, but I just can't think of them right now, lol.

Anyways, so, if you don't mind spending a goo portion of the next 15 years of your life slaving for some little creatures(oh yeah, you need to get at least 2) that will re-pay you by biting you, scratching you, and pooping and peeing all over you then by all mean go for it!

Heehee.

Oh yeah, and they're expensive! About $200 for a glider(but you'll need at least 2, so make it at least $300 for both), $150 for a cage, and about $100 for all the rest of the supplies. So be ready to fork out at least $550-$750.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're lovely! I've always been fascinated by them but would probably never actually have any, but I do love looking at all yours

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow they are so cute! Where do they come from - as a species? Do they adapt well to confinement? Sorry, I think this is the first I've seen of them outside a nature show
Love the pics! That baby is as cute as a kitten. And the photo with the tongue? I have had days when I feel just that way

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are oppossums, but the can glider, like flying squirrels.

Well, I don't think ANYTHING is as cute as a kitten, but they sure are just about there.
I've raised kittens from being newborns and I've never seen any animal that was quite as adorable as a newborn kitten asleep in my hands. *sigh* I can't wait til Spring, I want to foster kittens again! lol.

I guess when my girl has her first baby(ies) I may feel differently, but for now kittens are the #1 on my list.

As for the tongue pic. I have no idea how I managed to get so lucky and catch my glider grooming herself! I'm still stunned with that! It's such a hilarious pic!
And, yes, I have days like that too, rofl!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG...OMG...OMG...
i want one.
darn you for showing me how adorable they are...LOL!!!!
*goes back to read the cons carefully*

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

*They bark throughout the night
they bark? no way! now i must search on youtube to hear what they sound like!

kimistry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah thats about right. But, when my two get into it, they bark like crazy together! and it is loud enough to wake me up. They are NOCTURNAL. and are up ALL night!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah! I forgot the nocturnal part, lol. Thanks Kimistry.

I think that the barking is cute, sounds like a little yappy dog, heehee. However, my hubby(who has to get up early for work), doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm. :p

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

OMG...OMG...OMG...
i want one.
darn you for showing me how adorable they are...LOL!!!!
*goes back to read the cons carefully*
Oh gosh, I'm with you on that!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see other exotic animal owners out here
They are very adorable
, but there is no way I could ever have one of them in my house. They would be bobcat food in seconds flat. I never realized gliders lived that long though. Great advice you gave for anyone interested in owning a glider. I give the same strict advice as well, when it comes to anyone wanting to know what it is like living with my big cats. Thanks for the pictures

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting a pair of sugar gliders in a few days! I'm so excited... I have been looking to adopt some for a long time now (don't worry, I've done a lot research!)

I just have one question-- do you guys keep your cats totally out of the room where the sugar gliders' cage is? If not, how do the cats act around the cage?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My gliders are in the livingroom and my cats like to sleep on top of the cage(I put some fleece down so they don't bother the gldiers), but they don't dare get too close to the side of the cage or the gliders will reach out and grab em, rofl! Binx got his paw bit and learned his lesson pretty quick.

However, I always put the cats i the room when the gldier cage is open, just in case...

By the way, I notice you're in IL too! Where are you getting your gliders from?

The breeder I got my 2 babies from and will be getting my new girl from in is Aurora. Her site is zenexotics.com. I HIGHLY recommend her.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that breeder when I was looking for one to adopt from! I was considering one breeder called Savanna Gliders, but then I ended up finding a pair whose owner no longer has time for them... I like to "rescue" when I can. I understand it can take quite a while for them to bond with a new owner if they are older but I am patient...I've had shy and 'unhandled' rescued pets before so I know how to socialize them slowly.

I was planning to make a fleece "backing" for behind the cage, so the wall behind it won't get dirty. When I had pet rats I always had to clean the wall behind the cage... Maybe I'll add fleece on top too.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, my 2 adult gliders I got from a woman whose friend owned them, but no longer cared for them. They were already over 2 years old and mean as ever! lol. I've had them for about 7/8 months(lost count) now and they have FINALLY settled down. Every once in a while I'll get alittle nip when I reach into the pouch, but I think tehy only do it because they are asleep and I startle them, they don't do it to be mean.

I got the babies(Faith and Annie) in Novemeber and they only crabbed for about a week and a half before I could handle them without bites.
I was amazed by the difference! However, I think I can honestly say that I appreciate MORE all the effort that I had to put into the adults to get tehm to trust me. For that, they've become the sweetest things in the whole world! I even carry them around in my bra sometimes! lol.

Oooooo.....talking about the fleece backing reminded me of another thing to put on the "CONS" list, lol:

*They throw their food and it ends up sticking all over your wall and floor! Bwahahaha!

Warning: BML is the original superglue, ROFL!

You thought your RATS were bad, eh? What til you get your little gliding monkeys, heehee. They throw their food all over. :p I should put paper behind my cage and sell it as "glider art", haha!

A cage cover does pretty good to protec tthe walls, but don't forget, they'll throw the food out the FRONT of the cage too!

Have you decided what diet to feed your gliders?

I used to feed BML, but my gliders got sick of it, now they're on The Pet Glider Diet and LOVE it. My breeding gliders will be on HPW because after doing a short poll I found out that that's what the gliders with the most beautiful and fluffy-tailed gliders feed, lol. Also, it's REALLY cimple to add the extra vitamins needed for a preggers female.
I'm all about simplicity!

Ok, last thing, when you get your gliders, the #1 thing I can recommend to get them to like you is bribery! Laugh all ya'll want, but it really works! I started doing that with my gliders and now whenever I go to the cage they come running over because they know I have treats. :p

Alright, I've REALLY gotta go to bed! Can ya'll tell that I'm ruled by my gliders and the little buggers don't get up til midnight! Nighty-night!