med advice (human)?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my throat started to get really sore. Other than grogginess, that was the only symptom I had.

So I picked up some throat drops and have been living off those, soup, OJ and tea since.

This morning my throat was in severe pain and I started to take some Advil for the pain.

I just held the flashlight to my throat and I noticed there are bumps on the back of my throat
Ummm....I've had strep before, but it never looked like that (just white spots).

Anyone ever see this? I'm planning on giving the doctor a call on Monday morning.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do the bumps look? is any part of your face or neck sore? are your sinuses stuffed up? what color is your tongue?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've been tired it could be mono. Do you have a fever? A fever is common with strep. As you've said white thing are common with strep as well.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the bumps could be from the acid in the OJ. the sore throat could be an ear infection. if your tongue is white and you have white bumps in your throat, it could be yeast...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look like they're the same color as the back of my throat: red.

No fever, although I've had hot flash all day while under a blanket. My temp is a normal 98.3

oh yea and my tongue is normal color too.

I just googled "bumps sore throat" and one site said it's probably swollen lymphoids due to whatever the virus is. Hopefully...its freaky when you see bumps on the back of the throat!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 13 years old I had (all at one time) mono, strep, tonsilitis and what the doc called "thrush"... the thrush caused white bumps all down my throat, on my tongue, inside of my cheeks and on the roof of my mouth. The bumps were extremely painful!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you still have your tonsils? Might be tonsilitis.. Your throat is sore with that and you can see the swelling in the back of your throat.

I only had that once (I still have my tonsils too.. LOL)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

do you still have your tonsils? Might be tonsilitis.. Your throat is sore with that and you can see the swelling in the back of your throat.

I only had that once (I still have my tonsils too.. LOL)
Nope, I had those removed when I was 12. Although I've always wondered if I could get tonsilitis without tonsils

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, and I should say that I don't feel tired any more...well for now.
I've stayed away from the caffiene today so that I could get plenty of Zzzzzz.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it is an ear or sinus infection. That would explain feeling hot and the irritation in the throat. Often, my first clue that I have an ear infection is a sore throat. The next day is when I feel it in my ear.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually when I get severe colds sore throats happen the first day and are just slight. I just never had bumps on the back of my throat so I freaked that it might be something else.

You're probably dead on with the sinus or the ear infection. I recently just started popping my ears which I know is usually linked to one or the other. I'll just wait to see what develops tomorrow.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going to say that too. Yep... tonsils do grow back. I'm actually living proof of that. I had mine removed when I was 20 (20 years ago) and I've since had a few tonsilitis episodes. The doctor himself informed me that they were growing back. They are not big like they were when they removed them (thank God) but I can see them.

I've just recovered from strep and for the first week my throat also looked like it had red bumps all over it. It was actually a deep, raw looking red and then the white patches appeared by week 3. I have to say it was not a pleasant month for me and I'm glad it's over.

Go see the doctor ASAP. You just never know...

Hope you feel better soon.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisker's mom

I was just going to say that too. Yep... tonsils do grow back.
Great to know...
I almost had to get mine out because I had reoccurring tonsillitis for about 3 months. They finally got it down with a number of strong pills and a shot in my butt for the swelling.

Hope you feel better and that it's nothing terrible.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like tonsil problems. But it could be the result of "post nasal drip". I have had bad problems wth my tonsils and for a few years was on antibiotics a few times a year because of them. One day I thought it was flaring up again because my throat was so sore and red and spotted. I went to the doctor and it turns out it was only a case of post nasal drip. That stuff is very harsh on the throat and can really irritate it.

Try taking some antihistamines like Benadryl for a few days to see if that clears it up. Drink hot fluids like tea with honey and lemon, or plain chicken broth. Both are soothing. Also suck on throat lozenges. You can also buy throat spray that has lidocaine in it to numb the throat.

Avoid scratchy foods like crackers, nuts, hard veggies, toast.....and avoid dairy because it produces excess mucus.

If it is still sore in a few days contact your doctor and make an appointment to go see him and get your tonsils checked out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If it is still sore in a few days contact your doctor and make an appointment to go see him and get your tonsils checked out.
That's not a spur of the moment decision one makes just for a sore throat. Getting your tonsils removed as an adult it very painful and takes longer to heal then in children. Most doctors won't agree to it unless a person is getting reoccurring tonsillitis or has a really bad problem with tonsil stones (also called tonsilliths).

If the tonsils have grown back and you just have a sore throat - no other signs of sickness you could have tonsil stones. They're caused by a little bit of food getting in a tonsil crypt and bacteria building up around it. End result is an awful smelling stone (sort of resembles the plaque off your teeth) stuck in a crypt that can make your throat very very sore until it comes loose on it's own or is removed. If you go to a doctor, ask them to make sure you are not getting these.
They're mostly harmless but some people do get their tonsils removed as it will not go away on it's own.

As for the bumps, are you sure you don't have a few bumps on the back of your throat when well too? Both DH and I do, but we both have some sinus problems so that may be the cause for us.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Nope, I had those removed when I was 12. Although I've always wondered if I could get tonsilitis without tonsils
You do know tonsils can grow back, right??
Sounds funny, but its true....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's not a spur of the moment decision one makes just for a sore throat. Getting your tonsils removed as an adult it very painful and takes longer to heal then in children. Most doctors won't agree to it unless a person is getting reoccurring tonsillitis or has a really bad problem with tonsil stones (also called tonsilliths).
I didn't say to go and ask them to remove the tonsils. I said to wait a few days and if her throat was still sore to go and get the doctor to check out her tonsils to see if that was the problem.

If it turns out to be the problem, then she will be given antibiotics.

A reputable doctor won't remove tonsils anymore unless it's absolutely positively necessary because they have an integral role in our immune system. A course of antibiotics is all that is usually required to treat tonsilitis.

In the late 1990's I was plagued with tonsilitis and ear infections. I had never had a problem with either before, but suddenly I was getting them several times per year. The last time I had tonsilitis I was put on a longer course of antibiotics and since then I haven't had a case of tonsilitis.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know the best thing you could do to find out is consult your doctor
sounds more like a sinus infection to me - I had exactly the same problem just before I moved (admittedly I had conjunctivitis and flu at the same time, so it was really messy)
and the best thing would be a course of antibiotics. The sooner it's treated, the less likely you are to get more uncomfortable. Flu + conjunctivitis + sinus infection = blind, deaf, wobbly woman!