calling all computer-literate people

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am at wits-end with my computer. There are several programs that need some sort of internet connection (such as i-tunes and ICQ) that my computer seems to interfere with. The help sections say that it is my firewall, but even when I turn off the firewall, the programs still cannot connect in the way they need to. I am running windows vista with a wireless DSL connection and using Norton as my primary virus program. Any suggestions?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes even if you disable the firewall, as you did, you still can't acess those programs. Sounds like you need to go into the firewall and find where the programs are listed and click on allow those programs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried that. Even when i click on the programs that I want to add, they never show up on the list. I actually did an online chat with the Norton tech people. The guy said that if the programs didn't work when I turned my firewall off, the problem was not my firewall.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Tried that. Even when i click on the programs that I want to add, they never show up on the list. I actually did an online chat with the Norton tech people. The guy said that if the programs didn't work when I turned my firewall off, the problem was not my firewall.
Sorry to say this and I don't mean to offend but.... There's your problem (Norton). Something is obviously blocking these programs from accessing the internet. It's either a firewall, antivirus or you have a virus or trojan horse. The guy is not necessarily correct. I used to have Norton (Symantec) and it would mess everything up including I couldn't get on the internet, if I turned their software off.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding the program manually, usually there is program search and manual add.

In manual add you would have to go to C://Program Files//Program and add the .exe file (the one with the iTunes or ICQ logos) and then setting them to the level of permissions yourself.

I would also download one of the free virus scanners and check to see if Norton missed something.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried adding the programs manually to the firewall. For some reason, they never show up on the list of allowed programs. I have added them about half-a-dozen times but no luck.

I have downloaded A-squared free which is supposedly a good anti-virus.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Mzjazz2u about Norton. You might consider trying AVG for your antivirus software. They have a free antivirus version that updates daily - I highly recommend it.

Here's a link: http://www.grisoft.com/

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Norton Internet Security a couple of years ago and got a bunch of viruses, etc. that pretty much wiped out my hard drive. I took my computer to my friend's computer guru, Frank, and he formatted and reloaded my computer, deleted Norton completely and installed Panda antivirus. I've never had a problem with Panda, and I've been running it for over three years now. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone who wishes a reliable, daily updated antivirus/firewall software. I had absolutely nothing but bad luck and trouble with Norton....and Symantic was HORRIBLE with tech support!!! Many of my problems were like you're having....trouble with firewalls and accessing internet sites. I have never had any issues accessing any sites with Panda.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had trouble with Norton and finally ended up using their delete tool to get rid of it.

Have you tried this....
While off-line:
Turn off your Norton firewall and antivirus...
Then turn on your windows firewall before you access the net again.

Go to what you want to download and see what happens.
My guess would be that if you can download...
the odds are that the issue is with Norton.

Good luck..
Please let us know how you resolve this.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I had trouble with Norton and finally ended up using their delete tool to get rid of it.

Have you tried this....
While off-line:
Turn off your Norton firewall and antivirus...
Then turn on your windows firewall before you access the net again.

Go to what you want to download and see what happens.
My guess would be that if you can download...
the odds are that the issue is with Norton.

Good luck..
Please let us know how you resolve this.
Alright, I gave that a try and it didn't work.

The exact error message from iTunes is "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again." Based on what I have learned from the iTunes forum, it is probably a problem with my firewall. I would be open to other suggestions.

When I try to update a squared free I get this message "Could not connect to the update server. Please check your internet connection and proxy settings"

I get a similar problem connecting with ICQ (have since gotten frusterated and deleted it though)

I have a feeling that all of these problems are connected.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But if it was Norton's fire wall...
when you turned it off, and used windows it should have worked.

You might try to delete Norton's antivirus/firewall using the Norton's Delete Tool from their web site (that gets rid of reg. things better than Windows uninstall) then try what I suggested above.

Sometimes computers can drive us nuts.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all the problems are connected. Something is blocking them from connecting. It's just hard to figure it out without being there and playing with it. Sometimes, even if you uninstall your firewall or antivirus, it will totally disable your internet connection. It's tricky. Let me get home (I'm at work) where I can get on the internet and have free access. I'll search some of the techie forums I use and see if I can find a solution.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a router that has its own firewall? I know in the last place I worked there was a firewall attached to the router that you had a web address to connect to. It could be that blocking the port they open on.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that our wireless router does act as a firewall. I have no idea how to manipulate it though. It is a linksys wireless router.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I believe that our wireless router does act as a firewall. I have no idea how to manipulate it though. It is a linksys wireless router.
I would go to the Linksys web site and look for help there. I'm still looking at tech forums too. Haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet and my time to look is limited this week. I'll keep trying.