crock pot recipe?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
So I got a 4 qt slow cooker/crock pot for christmas (yay!) but I don't have any good recipes.
Was wondering if people might share their favourites for me to try out, of if anyone new of some great websites for such things?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use bettycrocker.com. You can search for recipies for slow-cookers specifically. I'll post some links to my favorites in a few minutes!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is my FAVORITE!!! It's easy and soooo tasty! I kept telling my mother about it and she just finally made it, and she's hooked now too! It's called Cowboy Stew: http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/...RecentlyViewed

I've done a roast (with potatoes and carrots) that I smothered in horseraddish and it was fantastic. I can't remember if that's a Betty one or if I got it from someone here.

Mom makes apple sauce in hers also. She's like a crockpot queen. I think she has at least 3 of them now.

This link should get you started with the slow cooker recipes off BettyCrocker.com: http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/s...er&Tab=Recipes

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're looking for a cookBOOK for crockpots, try any of the "Fix it n' Forget It" series -- I have the Lite version. they're great because they tell you the ideal size crock for each recipe, so say if it's written for a 6qt you could cut down the recipe to fit in your 4qt, or you could just skim thru for recipes written for 4qt pots.

And there is absolutely NO substitute for real, crockpot macaroni & cheese!!!!! (I'll see if I can dig up that recipe in a bit!)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taco Soup

Brown one pound hamburger with chopped onion. (as much a you prefer)
Combine hamburger in a crock pot with one can of kidney beans, one can of pinto beans, one can of stewed tomatoes, one can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, one can of corn (drained), a packet of ranch dressing and a half cup of water. I cook mine on low for five to six hours then serve it with shredded cheddar cheese and taco chips.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my crock pot! It is the savior of single guys. I can put some roast in there, some potatos, onions and carrots and when I come home, I have a great meal waiting for me!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love crock pots. Here is a recipe I sent in to a fundraising recipe book. I love this recipe.

1 chuck roast
1 med. onion
1-2 tbsp veggie oil or olive oil
1 med bell pepper
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup water

Season roast with spices of your choice before browning. Heat oil in skillet. Add roast and bown on all sides until a nice golden brown. Take roast out of skillet and put into crock pot or a pot large enough to cook in all day. Slice onion, bell pepper, and crushed garlic to the crock pot. Add 1/2 cup of water. Cook all day on low or until roast is done. I usually cook mine 4-6 hours until it almost falls apart.

This recipe you can add anything you want in the pot with it. I once used totmato sauce (plain in the can) in instead of water. It helped to tenderize the roast as it cooked. And boy was it good. Crock pots are nice you can cook just about anything in it. I have heard of people cooking fryer chickens in them as well.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my FIRST CROCK POT for Christmas too!!!

My husband went Grocery Shopping today & got the ingredients for me to make this as my FIRST CROCK POT meal in the next few days
I'm excited & it sounds delishious!

It is a recipe out of a Rival Crock Pot Recipe Book that I got as a Gift too

Mexican Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef
2 cups corn or crushed tortilla chips (I plan to make it with the crushed tortilla chips as we're serving it with mexi corn YUM
)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup salsa
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons taco seasoning

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
2. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in slow cooker. Cover; clook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.

Makes 4-6 servings

For a glaze, Mix together 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 table spoons brown sugar & 1 teaspoon dry ustard. Spread over meatloaf. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 minutes.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Beef" Sandwiches

3-4 pound inexpensive chunk of beef (limit the fat on the cut)
1 jar Pepperocino peppers, undrained
1 can beer
Au Jous packet (McCormick)
1 onion, sliced thin (optional)
1/2 green pepper, sliced thin (optional)

Put the first 3 ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for about 6-8 hours, or until it is easy enough to shred with a fork. Remove it from the pot and let it cool slightly. Shred the meat and return it to the pot with the Au Jous packet. Optionally, add onions and peppers at this time. Cook another hour on high. Serve over crusty rolls or french bread.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight I have some friends coming over for the football game. A quick easy way to serve food (for me) is to just put about 20 hot dogs in the crock pot, with a full jar of sauerkraut and set it on medium! Then when ever someone wants a dog, there they are!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili is always good. I make black bean and steak chili. I also grow my own peppers. This recipie is for a 6qt crockpot...modify as necessary. I also make a good bean soup.

2-3 cans of black beans
2-3 cans of stewed tomatoes (I dice them myself instead of buying them diced)
4-6 anaheim or poblano peppers for a mild-spicy chili
-or-
1-3 cayenne, jalapeno, or habenero peppers for a mild-to-wallpaper removing chili
1pkg of pepper bacon (cooked and drained)
1.25lbs of stew meat or steak
1 cup of frozen corn
.75 cups of chopped celery
1 bunch of green onions (chopped)
a couple cloves of garlic
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp fresh oregano
.5 tsp cumin
.25 tsp black pepper
some worchestershire sauce
some tiger sauce (or whatever hot sauce is handy)

I make this recipie in a 6qt crockpot and it is full when everything is done cooking. Take your peppers and put them on a lightly greased cookie sheet and broil them a couple of minutes until the skin starts to blister. Turn them over and repeat the process until the peppers are evenly blistered all the way around. If you are workiing with some of the hotter peppers, wear gloves when you are working with them. Do not touch your face after handling the peppers. When the peppers are evenly blistered, take a knife and slit them open, peel the skin off of the outside and scrape the seeds from the inside. Also cut away the stem. When your peppers are all cleaned in this manner, mince them up until they are basically a paste. You don't want any large pieces floating around in your chili.

Take your stew meat or steak and cut it into nice, small bits...probably about .5in cubes. You want the pieces to brown easily. Mince your garlic and onions and add them to a frying pan. Brown them in a little bit of oil then add your meat. While your stew meat is browning, add some tiger sauce and some worst sauce for flavor. You want the meat to be nice and brown, not grey. It takes a little while, so be patient.

Now, add everything to the crockpot. You may want to add 2-3 cans of water to achieve a good consistency. I just use the can that the black beans came in to measure out the water. You can add more or less of the herbs that I listed depending on personal taste, but remember that the cumin is what adds that essential chili flavor. Also, if you want just a hint of sweetness, add some brown sugar. Have fun!!!

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for the ppl that handle the peppers then rub their eyes...consider yourself warned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yummm.
Mom sent me back here with some turkey leftovers (drum stick) which I'm kinda bored with, BUT I'm also sick and craving soup, so I may make myself a huge pot of turkey soup tomorrow...shouldn't be too hard, but tonight is chicken nuggets and fries cuz this cold has exhausted me :p
Thanks for the ideas, definitely going to try some of them!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want a really good book, check this one out. There's lots of good stuff in it.

Also, do a search of this forum. You'll get about a bazillion threads, where people have offered recipes and ideas.

Have fun! It's a great tool.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I make a mean chicken & kluski noodle soup in my crockpot.
I chop up some celery & carrots & some onion, & some boneless chicken, toss it all in a big skillet with some margarine(i can't believe it's not Butter) & brown it all together till the onions are translucent. I scrape everything into the pot with the large can of chicken broth(Swansons). I don't usually add alot of seasoning, the browning makes alot of flavor, I might add some pepper & let it cook all day, starting on high till it bubbles, then turning to low for the rest of the day.
If you have leftover cooked chicken, you could just saute the other stuff with the onions & add the chicken later.
When it's almost done, I cook the noodles seperately on the stove in a large pot. If you can't find Kluski noodles, you can use the wide noodles, cook them till not quite done, drain & carefully add your crock pot mix to the noodles & simmer for a while till the noodles are done the way you like them.

It's not an exact recipe because it's just something I do & is very basic & open for interpretation.
Kluski noodles might be kind of a Pennsylvania regional thing, if you can get them in Canada, do so, they are thick & wonderful! Also chicken broth is a must!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

If you're looking for a cookBOOK for crockpots, try any of the "Fix it n' Forget It" series -- I have the Lite version. they're great because they tell you the ideal size crock for each recipe, so say if it's written for a 6qt you could cut down the recipe to fit in your 4qt, or you could just skim thru for recipes written for 4qt pots.
I got the regular "Fix it and Forget It" crockpot cookbook for Christmas.....so many yummy things to try.

Here's one I made and its REALLY easy and SOOO yummy!

EASY CHEESY SLOW COOKER CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • garlic powder, to taste
  • 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
PREPARATION:

Rinse chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix undiluted soup and pour over chicken in a Crock Pot. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.
Serves 6.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
My apologies. I wanted to reply to this thread...until i realised it didn't say 'crackpot recipes' like i first thought

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

My apologies. I wanted to reply to this thread...until i realised it didn't say 'crackpot recipes' like i first thought
now I'm pretty sure that's a pretty easy recipe!

Does anyone have that Mac and Cheese recipe? I'm a sucker for the stuff!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my crockpot. I have a 4 quart as well. ITs great, especially on cold winter nights.

I recomend this book, Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever. You can get it at Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Slow-Cook.../dp/0060172665

I use it about once a week. For New Years Eve we are making the Clam Chowder out of it.

I also use this site ALOT

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

It's labled as Southern Food but it has about 1400 recipies just for the crockpot. You can do a search for anything you want and it will give you a ton of ideas. I searched for Macaroni and Cheese for you they have a few for the crockpot/slow cooker. Just scroll down about half way and you will see the links for them.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/mac...se_Recipes.htm

I hope this helps. Have fun. If you like chili I have an amazing recipie for it.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Does anyone have that Mac and Cheese recipe? I'm a sucker for the stuff!
My Grandma's Macaroni and Cheese recipe....to die for!

8 oz dry elbow macaroni, cooked
3-4 cups shredded sharp chedder cheese, divided
13 oz can of evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
chopped onion to taste

1. Combine all the ingredients, except 1 cup of cheese, in greased slow cooker. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top

2. Cover. Cook on low 3-4 hours. Do not remove lid or stir until the mixture has finished cooking.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got married we got 5 crock pots as gifts! We kept three believe it or not! Well I decided to keep a large, medium and small one. It's great to have a variety because I can have a different one depending on what I'm making and how many people I am serving for.

I usually go to www.allrecipes.com to find recipes. You can find anything there.

One crock pot recipe I found that I really enjoyed was Mediterranean Style Chicken. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not but it was really good.

* 1 jar Ragu Old World Style Pasta Sauce
* 1 large onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
* 1/4 cup chicken broth
* pinch ground cinnamon
* 3-4 pounds chicken
Hot cooked rice (optional)
Fresh Rosemary (optional)

1. Combine pasta sauce, onion, garlic, olives, broth and cinnamon in Crock-pot. Add chicken, coating with sauce.
2. Cook on LOW 8-10 hours or HIGH 5-6 hours. Serve, if desired, over rice and garnish with rosemary.