Cat Licenses and Finding a Good Vet

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I actually already have a good vet, but something occurred recently that has me thinking I need to search for a new one.
Niles went in for his final round of distemper last Friday. My mother took him for me, since I still had to work. Niles is now a little over 6-moths old, and looks very un-neutered
We have two vets at the same office, and the younger of the two saw Niles that day. He was very insistent that Niles should be neutered. My mother told him that he is a show cat and cannot be neutered; our breeder would kill us! The vet responded to her that he NEEDS to be neutered; the world has enough babies.

My sister is slowly starting to set things up to breed Turkish Van cats, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m worried that our younger vet might not agree philosophically with breeding animals. However, I am reluctant to switch because the older of our two vets was recommended to us by our uncle, who bred schnauzers for fifteen years. I never considered this being a problem before, but how did you breeders here go about finding a vet that approved of breeding?

Also, I live in an area where annual cat licensing is required. However, I have no idea where to find out about licensing breeding cats. Should I just ask my veterinarian? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve received some pretty bogus information in my search; even heard that 3+ cats in my county is considered “hoardingâ€!! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve tried to look online, but have not found anything that lists the laws.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the license I would contact the County Clerk at your County Courthouse. That is who we contact about our dog license here.

As for the vet it is unfortunate but I would find a new one. Yes there is an overpopulation of cats, worse than dogs, but most breeds of pedigree cats are rare. And why should our beloved breeds suffer because of irresponsible people who let their random bred cats roam and reproduce.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with finding a new vet. I'm lucky, my vet is a breeder (Burmese) and a show judge. I'm not a breeder but it's nice to have someone at least a bit familiar with breeds as most vets don't seem to know much about the different breeds.

The info you found on 3 cats being 'hoarding', that could well be true. Over here some councils have cat/dog limits, but people can apply for a permit to house more than the limit.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not good breeders who are responsible for overpopulation, it's people who don't get their pets neutered.

Find a vet who understands this and already deals with breeders - ask other breeders in your area who they would recommend. It's important to have a sympathetic vet, you're no doubt going to be in and out with kittens and pregnant queens once you get started. If you ever use a stud cat from another breeder, you need a vet who is willing and able to do FIV/FeLV testing on your queen and have the results and certification done rapidly (here the test, results, and proof of negative status need to be done within the 24hrs before the queen is taken to stud - it requires a sympathetic vet to be able to organise this quickly when the queen goes into heat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I spoke with a few breeders from my area at the cat show I attended today. I've gathered some names of vets used to working with show cats. I'll be switching over my cats from the office I am currently using.

It also looks like I can apply for a "fanciers license" which will cover my entire household. What's funny about this license is that it is for AKC and CFA animals only. I'm still not sure how many animals are covered under the license, though. . . guess I'll find out when offices are open on Monday.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

It also looks like I can apply for a "fanciers license" which will cover my entire household. What's funny about this license is that it is for AKC and CFA animals only. I'm still not sure how many animals are covered under the license, though. . . guess I'll find out when offices are open on Monday.
I find the 2nd part of the paragraph interesting...I wonder why that it is so....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets:

I would find a new vet. While its important to be neutering/spaying cats - the fact that this vet does NOT understand show cats would cause me to find someone else to be working with. In due time, I'm sure he will be neutered if its necessary. I'd have a problem too if still breeding and my vet insist I HAVE to neuter/spay.

License:

You should contact your local city hall or Licensing dept (in the government pages in the yellow books) - they can direct you to the right office for license and the requirements. But be aware that unneutered animals will be much higher and you might have a limit or inspection thing. Tread carefully!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently I can get a "Fanciers' License" for my entire house for $50. It requires that I have at least three CFA registered cats, attend cats shows (does not state how often), and have no more than two litters of at least two kittens per year. I guess one kitten litters are not litters!