Gnawing on things!

kurolynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Tidus likes to chew on things, like a dog. Nothing that is dangerous, like cords. He doesn't eat the stuff he chews on, just chews in it, like gum. He chews on the wooden knobs of my TV stand, which I don't mind, but there's no more knob left so I'm curious if there are any sort of toys or things that he can chew on to stay content? I don't want to stop him from doing it because he enjoys it, so I'm curious.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kurolynn

My cat Tidus likes to chew on things, like a dog. Nothing that is dangerous, like cords. He doesn't eat the stuff he chews on, just chews in it, like gum. He chews on the wooden knobs of my TV stand, which I don't mind, but there's no more knob left so I'm curious if there are any sort of toys or things that he can chew on to stay content? I don't want to stop him from doing it because he enjoys it, so I'm curious.
How old is he? Could he be teething? I'm thinking it's a bit rare for cats to chew and not "swallow" (like Pica).

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cats were teething, someone here suggested straws....my cats loved chewing on those.

catsrule40

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female does the same thing. She's about 8 months old. Thankfully she doesn't chew on power cords, just my purse strap, wallet, the edge of the cat tree, a box, just whatever she can sink her teeth into.
I figure she'll outgrow that soon when she gets older.

CR40

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kurolynn

My cat Tidus likes to chew on things, like a dog. Nothing that is dangerous, like cords.
What makes you think that chewing on cords isn't dangerous?

First of all, electrical cords that are chewed/broken can destroy the products to which they are attached. More significantly, they can cause fires.

Second of all, your cat can get electrocuted. Or, if he's "lucky," he can get an electrical burn in his mouth or throat, which could affect eating and/or breathing.

There are numerous recommended solutions to cord chewing. Spray the cords with Bitter Apple, which most cats hate to taste. Wrap all of the cords in PVC pipe. Invest in a special extension cord that automatically shuts off the power if the cord is chewed through. This product is called Fire Shield.

Cord chewing is not something to be taken lightly.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, I have the same problem with my oldest cat, he has to be near 5-7 years (got him from a pound so I couldn't swear on a age). He has this habbit of chewing and making a miss of anything cardboard, paper or wood. The worse is when he goes after my books, I have about 7 with teeth holes in them now. He doesn't eat it, he just leaves the pieces all over the place. If I find anything to help I'll let you know, will you please do the same for me?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

What makes you think that chewing on cords isn't dangerous?
Robert - I think you read it wrong. I think the poster was saying the kitty doesn't chew on cords - the cat doesn't chew on things that are dangerous to her, for example, cords (which would be dangerous).

One of our kitties LOVES to tear paper. So yes, there are cats that like to bite or chew or tear in addition to scratching.

If there are things your kitty chews on regularly that you don't want her to, do get the bitter apple. Unfortunately, the best way to make it work is to spray a little bit into her mouth.
She will hate you for a while - but she will not chew on anything sprayed with it.

Next, bendy straws are GREAT for kitty to chew on! When our kitties were teething, we bought a box and scattered it throughout the house. They are fabulous. Kitty can chew on them - but unless they've been really chewed on for a few days, no little bits come off. Just make sure you pick up any pretty chewed up straws and throw them away.

Also - will your kitty chew on a cardboard box? Cats love to play in them. Maybe cut a few "strips" into the sides and pull them down - tempting treats, perhaps, for a kitty that likes to chew on things.

What about milk jug rings? Cats love to play with them - and they're great to chew on. Especially the kind that peel off. Again, like the straws, they don't get chewed to pieces very quickly, so swallowing the plastic isn't a danger for kitty.

Will she chew on rope? Not string - that's very dangerous for cats. But thick nylon rope - cut into pieces and tied into a knot with ends left out on either side?

May come up with more ideas.... will post if I do.

Laurie

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Robert - I think you read it wrong. I think the poster was saying the kitty doesn't chew on cords - the cat doesn't chew on things that are dangerous to her, for example, cords (which would be dangerous).
Oops. I never considered this, thanks to you and kluchetta for pointing it out . I guess I might have been a little too quick with the trigger finger.
kurolynn, if my interpretation of what you wrote was the exact opposite of what you intended, I sincerely apologize.

Well, maybe someone else learned something anyway....

blacknoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use double sided sticky tape to curb scratching of furniture and nibbling on things that do not need kitty teeth marks.

My cats love to bite into the soft wood of our nightstands. A little tape for a few weeks on the corners stopped it.

sweetkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oooh, I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread. I don't care when Oliver (9 months old) chews on cardboard boxes or toys, but I just refinished my mahogany bedroom set and he's having far too much fun with a couple spots on the headboard. I'm trying to sell the darn set and here he is, going to town gnawing on the thing. Gah.

Good to know that this is relatively normal. Hopefully he'll grow out of it.

For now, though, any tips on keeping his little teeth away from my headboard? I'm worried that double sided tape may leave residue and a spray may damage the wood. Thoughts?

Once I sell the set I'll be buying a wrought iron bedframe that I have my eye on. I'd like to see him try to chew on that. Ouch!