How do you heat leftover cat food?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie and Chloe are becoming pickier about eating leftover cat food, and of course it's because they know I just started buying larger cans (because they are cheaper per oz). I've never saved them longer than a day, I use those plastic can covers too. I usually heat up the leftovers by running the can under hot water for a while or I'll just let it sit until it's room temperature again.

Do I need to stick it in the fridge if I'm only going to be serving the rest a few hours later (like with Chloe's kitten food)?

Do you microwave your cat food?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stimpy likes a different kind of food than Nabu. So Stimpy gets a 5.5 oz can split 4 ways. A quarter of the can 2x a day. I use a can cover, and refridgerate between meals. At meal time, I microwave it for 5 seconds, stir to get rid of any hot or cold spots, and serve.
I don't keep open cans longer than the second day.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put the leftover in the fridge right away. The food can spoil and I assume has the same out of the fridge shelf life as something you would cook so I wouldn't leave it out if they aren't going to eat the rest more than 2 hours from the time you open the can. Maybe even less time then that.

I heat the left over for about 10 seconds on high and stir the food. I test it with my finger to make sure it's not to hot. Stirring is important since the food will heat more in some spots than others.

I find that when I heat the food to slightly warm to the touch, they like it better.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb will not eat it microwaved
I am still trying to figure out the best way. Those tiny cans will run $60 a month otherwise.
Someone on another thread suggested mixing it with warm water.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I microwave the leftover food on high for about 7 seconds. I stir it and then test it with my finger to make sure it isn't too hot for kitty. I don't have any problems with them not eating warmed up food.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if he wont eat it microwaved what about adding a little water to it and heating it in small soup pan? My guys will sometimes take it better that way then with microwave if not sometimes I heat the can in boiling water in a small soup pan and test the temperature other then that Im not too sure

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

if he wont eat it microwaved what about adding a little water to it and heating it in small soup pan?

my kitties are sometimes picky about the leftovers too...

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our kitten seems to love to eat the leftover right out of the fridge. In fact, he seems to like it more than freshly opened cans right out of the shelf. It's strange but true.

I hope there isn't anything wrong with eating cold food. The kitten seems to like it.

sheeba07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, mine are picky about refrigerated leftovers too and I've been wondering if there's a trick or something

Sometimes they'll eat it if I microwave on low. The warm water suggestion is worth a try!

Btw, how long do you think it's "safe" to leave an open, covered can in the fridge? And do you reheat several times or just once and then trow it out if the cats don't eat it? Sorry to intrude on your thread Sakura

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie usually insists on small cans, unless it's Eagle Pack Holistic, which isn't available in little cans. I store the can in the fridge with a plastic lid, and reheat it by adding several spoonfuls of hot water and stirring. I figure the extra liquid is good for him.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by efrost6

our kitten seems to love to eat the leftover right out of the fridge. In fact, he seems to like it more than freshly opened cans right out of the shelf. It's strange but true.

I hope there isn't anything wrong with eating cold food. The kitten seems to like it.
mine like the cold leftovers, too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't found a good trick for getting mine to eat leftovers. I've tried microwaving, heating with hot water, adding warm water, warming it at room temp for a few minutes, and even warming it with my hands. Sometimes Swanie will eat it, usually he won't, and I don't think I've ever seen miss picky princess Cindy eat leftovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by novemberflowers

mine like the cold leftovers, too.
Chloe doesn't mind cold leftovers, Mattie is pickier.

I am going to try microwaving and see how that goes.