Help Me Decide on a New Years Eve Dinner

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This year was so crummy for me that I can't wait for it to be over.

It's been my tradition for the past couple of years to watch a Pirates of the Carribean movie on New Years Eve, so I will be keeping with that tradition and watching the last one this year.

I have a little bit of extra money this year so I want to treat myself to something special for dinner on Monday too.

So help me decide on what to have:

BBQ ribs, baked potato, asparagus, salad, black forest cake

Pork roast, roasted potatoes / carrots / celery / onions, apple sauce, black forest cake

KFC

Chinese food

Other - Please specify

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1# sounds very yummy but we generally eat option 2# for New Years Day.
I see the black forrest is in both options so you can't go wrong there.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BBQ Ribs sound wonderful! I'd probably have that with a nice side salad and some applesauce, the roasted potatoes, and blackforest cake if i had to choose!

Whatever you wind up eating, i hope you have a great New Years dinner!

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well im going to be doing a crispy leg of lamb roast with rosemary, glazed roasted baby carrots, tender asparagus, mashed sweed, cauliflower cheese and roast potatoes

And for afters, a hot steamed treacle pudding with cold custard, I just love that combination of hot and cold, its a bit like black and white, ying and yang.
Enjoy whatever you decide on

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

Well im going to be doing a crispy leg of lamb roast with rosemary, glazed roasted baby carrots, tender asparagus, mashed sweed, cauliflower cheese and roast potatoes

And for afters, a hot steamed treacle pudding with cold custard, I just love that combination of hot and cold, its a bit like black and white, ying and yang.
Enjoy whatever you decide on
You're making lamb? OMG that sounds amazing!!!!
Last time i had lamb was at my favorite Greek resturant and that was well over a year ago. I need to go back sometime!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for number 1!! That sounds soooooooooooooo yummy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha! Lots of rib fans here I see! It was my original choice for my dinner, but then I got to thinking about other things and well.. ended up confused

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be having pork chops and sauerkraut. I am not a big fan of kraut but where I am anyway that combination is a tradition for New Years. I don't know where the superstition started but it's supposed to bring good luck. It's usually the one time in the entire year that I eat kraut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I will be having pork chops and sauerkraut. I am not a big fan of kraut but where I am anyway that combination is a tradition for New Years. I don't know where the superstition started but it's supposed to bring good luck. It's usually the one time in the entire year that I eat kraut.
OMG! Now I want sauerdraut perogies! LOL

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I chose the pork roast (I'm not a ribs kind of person). I often make the following recipe, that as usual, was invented out of sheer desperation; I make it for company often (my "party piece"), and they love it:

1 pork loin roast
Garlic cloves, peeled (at least 5--more if you really love garlic)
Spicy brown mustard
Fresh rosemary (you can use dried, if no fresh, but try for the fresh)
Sliced onions (optional)
Potatoes, baby red ones, cleaned & UN-peeled
Small bottle of hard cider
Pint of heavy cream
Chicken broth

Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray. Place cleaned roast in the pan. Cut enough diagonal slits in the pork roast for your garlic cloves. (Skip the garlic right now.) Rub the roast all over with the mustard; then insert the garlic cloves in the slits (yes, I know this all sounds rather violent
). Arrange the rosemary springs on and around the roast. Place the onions and the potatoes around the roast. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan; and cover loosely with tin foil. Roast as long as it takes to make the roast well-done (as it's pork, it must be well-done to be safe). Usualy, mine takes about 1.5 hours, but I also use a meat thermometer to test for doneness.

When done, use the pan drippings, and make a cream gravy with the hard cider, broth, and drippings.

Just as good without the gravy and the potatoes, too!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Down here in Texas we have nothing special on New Year's Eve, but you HAVE TO HAVE black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck the whole year long!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Down here in Texas we have nothing special on New Year's Eve, but you HAVE TO HAVE black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck the whole year long!
LOL I remember we talked about this last year, which sprung into the New Year's traditions thread...pennies on the windowsill and all that....lol

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our New Year's Eve family tradition is to have hors d'oeuvres, wursts, pumpernickel and rye breads (we're German) and lots of cookies!