care after spaying

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am planning to have my 2 girls, both 5 months old, spayed soon. DO I need to be home more than usual post op to keep an eye on them? I'm usually at work out of the house from 8am until 5pm. Thanks.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you will have to weigh the situation once you get them home. My 2 girls both reacted differently. One was fine with no issues at all and her spay was more complicated because she was in heat. The other one who had a routine spay, would not leave her stitches alone, pulling them out, getting staples and pulling them out and went berserk with an E collar and couldnt be left alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok - thanks...that makes it kind of difficult to plan for, huh?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah .. you may if you can want to take the day of and after off so you can be home with them.. thou I am very dated the last spay was over 19 yrs ago

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, another question...while on the subject....just wondering what people have payed to get their cats spayed. I am in NYC and everything is more expensive here. But thought I'd ask!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ummm must not have hit send ... I called my local vets cause I needed to know ...150-250

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh - ok, our vet costs 225. (times 2) I guess thats just a small price to pay...right?

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That seems on the high side - it is 92 Euro in Ireland at the moment, I had my cat done a month ago and that's what they charged me. My vet gives a 10% discount for having two animals treated at the same time by the way - which I got for their shots and their spay / neuter. I paid 150 Euro for the two of them to get fixed (neutering is cheaper as it's not so big a job).

Lily was fine after it and didn't pick at her stitches, but it is best if you can keep an eye on them the next day just to make sure they don't pick and don't overdo it.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chloe is being spayed next month (she's a little over 4 months right now) and I am just now looking into prices. I have a feeling that my vet is going to be on the higher end of things because they seem to charge a bit more for everything (yet I do really like their office and it's very close to home, so I keep going there).

I'm sure that there are low-cost spay/neuter clinics where you live. They fill up fast but they are worth trying. I'm not sure if they charge on a sliding scale or if you have to be low-income.

ETA: I just looked up the pricing where I am for the low-cost clinic and it's $45 for spaying (more $ if they are in heat or overweight), neutering is $28, plus they do a microchip for an extra $15.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

ETA: I just looked up the pricing where I am for the low-cost clinic and it's $45 for spaying (more $ if they are in heat or overweight), neutering is $28, plus they do a microchip for an extra $15.
This is about what it is in my area. For NYC, a low cost clinic will probably be a bit higher. Just call around, perhaps ask the Humane Society for a recommendation.

Daphne had a tough time of her spay but is doing wonderfully now. I think it just depends. Cats are kinda like humans in that regard

So glad you are getting them spayed
They will heal quickly and be so much healthier for life. Just don't fall for the "would you like a declaw with that?" routine.

Please post photos if you haven't already. We love photos

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet charges the same for spay and neuter and keeps the girls overnight just in case there are complications. They only charge $70.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in South Dakota, so things are a little bit cheaper here. I pay about 150per spay, but thats for the overnight cost, the pain meds and the surgery so I never thought of it as being really high! My boys on the other hand only cost like $100 and we picked them up on the same day! I DID fall for the "would you like to declaw" and it was the worst mistake I ever made on their behalf... they were in severe pain afterwards and were laying in their own pee/poop. Pain meds went on and on for a couple of weeks and it wasn't worth it!! GOOD LUCK & LET US KNOW!!!

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sophie is due to be spayed in the next month or two. where i adopted her has an agreement with a vet the next town over to do the spaying and bill the adoption league. since i'm having these diarrhea issues with her i asked her vet what they charge and it's $350!! holy moly! i just cannot afford that, so she will be spayed at the other vet. we have only had boys for quite a while so we haven't delt with a spay for a long time. millie was already spayed when we got her.

sheeba07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JandM

I am planning to have my 2 girls, both 5 months old, spayed soon. DO I need to be home more than usual post op to keep an eye on them? I'm usually at work out of the house from 8am until 5pm. Thanks.
We just had Sheeba spayed a couple of weeks ago and I must admit that I'm glad that I'm a student and was able to be home more. Some cats bounce back really quickly after a spay, but unfortunately Sheeba had complications and it took 2 weeks before she was fully recovered. I don't want to scare you or anything, I'm just saying that you might want to have your girls spayed on a Thursday or Friday so you're home a couple of days after the procedure.

Although I'm very satisfied with my vet he wasn't so informative regarding what to look out for so some complications might have been avoided if I had known. You're always welcome to send me a PM for further information since I've just been through the whole ordeal