I Could Just Cry...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Army buddy came over this morning to take a look at the computer (which crashed about a week ago), and told us it's shot.
Apparently, the mechanism he called the motherboard is destroyed. I'm just so bummed out I could cry..
It's gonna cost around $300.00 to replace - which isn't too bad (we're gonna go the cheapest route possible, and just replace the actual computer component, or whatever it's called, and keep the monitor & printer/scanner); anyway, that's not too bad, but it is when you're broke..

I know I should be grateful that I still have my WebTV unit - and I am to some extent: but it drives me nuts b/c it's sooooo slow, and you can't do even half the stuff w/ it that you can w/ a computer. It wouldn't bother me so much if I wasn't housebound all the time like I am, due to my back disability: if I was still working and able to get out and do more things, it wouldn't be so bad. But b/c I am home so much of the time, the computer was my outlet to the outside world, and I could do so much w/ it to keep myself occupied. I'm not one who can just sit around all day long and just watch TV or read or do puzzles, etc. I need to keep my mind & hands busy; if I can't, I get frustrated & depressed. The computer was my "life" so to speak. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true..
I was beginning to sink into a deep depression before we got the computer, b/c of sitting home all the time and not having enough to do to occupy my time: after we got it, my depression was easing up, b/c I felt more connected again, and had something constructive to do. Now I feel that depression returning again: I am just so bummed out...

I have no idea how long it will take for us to save up that amount of money to get the computer replaced: we're struggling so much right now - $300.00 is a lot of money when you're on a limited income. I'm trying not to let it get me down b/c it's not the end of the world, but it's difficult not to when your main outlet and source of entertainment/activity has been taken away from you.

I guess I just need to vent.
Thanks for listening..

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your friend to make a very thorough list of your computers stats?

A motherboard should not cost $300 unless you're running a top of the line computer with lots of onboard extras. If you didn't spend $3k-5k for the comp to begin with, I'm guessing here that you and your husband are only typical computer users.

If that's the case your board or a suitable replacement should only be $50-$150.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

A motherboard should not cost $300 unless you're running a top of the line computer with lots of onboard extras. If you didn't spend $3k-5k for the comp to begin with, I'm guessing here that you and your husband are only typical computer users.

If that's the case your board or a suitable replacement should only be $50-$150.
that sounds very expensive, and even if you had a decent computer, it doesn't sound like you, as an average user, would use it so you could replace it with something lower in price.

Even a motherboard and processor would be cheaper than $300 for the average computer.

TigerDirect and other companies like them sell refurbished computers for under $200, with no monitor. It is almost worth buying one of those rather than a new motherboard

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It is almost worth buying one of those rather than a new motherboard
It depends on the motherboard needed. Besides, why throw away a bunch of perfectly good parts? It's just more trash to clutter a landfill.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is a lot of money to be spending on a motherboard. What kind of computer do you have?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone here - I'm pretty sure you can get a motherboard for a lot cheaper than 300$.
Sorry you're feeling bummed out. Chocolate helps.... really it does!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay guys (gals) - I'm getting confused!
(don't forget I'm new to all this computer stuff!). Just what the heck IS the motherboard? Isn't that basically the "brain" of the computer??
It seems to me that if that's the case, wouldn't you be better off getting the entire unit (minus the monitor & scanner/printer, etc.), than to just replace the motherboard thingy itself??
I don't know: I have noooo idea how computers work, or what hardware, software, and all that other jazz is..

The Army buddy said he found a good deal for us online, and printed out the info and will bring it to me sometime tomorrow so I can take a look at it.

Thanks for all your info everyone, and I appreciate it - even though I'm totally confused as to what y'all are talking about..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Wow that is a lot of money to be spending on a motherboard. What kind of computer do you have?
It's an HP..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know if he can.
Doesn't he need to be able to get on the computer first, before he can gather any stats??

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

that sounds very awful my friend!...
....I´m so sorry about that

and you do it so well I mean you can to vent anything here!...
CoolCat, my computer probably blew up b/c of all those questions of yours I had to answer a few weeks ago, when I was the Spotlight Member of the Week! I myself needed a stiff drink after that, and my computer needs a lot more than a drink!!

(just kidding, ya know!)

Imp, I checked out the link to the website you posted, and I'm more confused than ever!
All those components, all those different parts you need - it's enough to drive a person insane!
I'll never figure it all out!

Help me, peeps! What's a CPU? Isn't that the computer itself (the main unit, or whatever you call it), where you hook everything up into it?? What's hardware, and what's software??

I think I'm slowly sinking into insanity: maybe it's more peaceful there.

Maybe I misunderstood what my Army buddy said regarding the motherboard thingy. From what I understood, he's saying that the entire big box thingy where everything is hooked into, is what needs to be replaced.
I apologize if I'm confusing anyone. I know I'M confused!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

All those components, all those different parts you need - it's enough to drive a person insane!
I'll never figure it all out!
Stop right there. I keep telling people to give themselves some credit, that they can do more then they think they can if they put their mind to it. You are no different.
There really isn't that many parts. Try looking up information for building pcs or look up each individual piece to see what it does. Learning is a good thing and it makes it a lot harder for people to dupe you.

Help me, peeps! What's a CPU? Isn't that the computer itself (the main unit, or whatever you call it), where you hook everything up into it?? What's hardware, and what's software??
A CPU or processor is the chip you put on the mother board that sort of acts like a brain for the computer - it processes information.
Hardware is a part you can physically hold in your hands. Say you removed your cd or dvd rom drive, that would be a piece of hardware. Software is something you install from a disc or file, but isn't physically real - such as an OS.

Maybe I misunderstood what my Army buddy said regarding the motherboard thingy. From what I understood, he's saying that the entire big box thingy where everything is hooked into, is what needs to be replaced.
I apologize if I'm confusing anyone. I know I'M confused!
Big box everything is hooked to? Maybe the power supply?
Still, regardless of the part, I doubt any of them would cost you $300 for the part. If getting it fixed at a shop - maybe, as they tend to over charge for something that may take 10-15 minutes to fix.

I don't know if he can.
Doesn't he need to be able to get on the computer first, before he can gather any stats??
Stats would be what is in the comp. If you have a list of the parts in it that came with the computer when you bought it that would work. Usually it will say on the side of the box unless it was custom built. If custom, you should have a receipt somewhere.

-For those with working computers who want a list of everything on their comp you can use something like this http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
(probably better ones now, but I haven't really ever needed any)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Belarc is awesome when you have to reinstall all your programs again. It also will list key codes like for windows in case you lost it.

I talked to DH and he said that only a HP or Dell system should cost you $300 cause they are more particular. Like there is more than one type of memory card slots and stuff that your existing stuff has to fit into.

You don't need anything else if it is just the motherboard. You will not lose information since your hard drive is something totally different.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Stop right there. I keep telling people to give themselves some credit, that they can do more then they think they can if they put their mind to it. You are no different.
There really isn't that many parts. Try looking up information for building pcs or look up each individual piece to see what it does. Learning is a good thing and it makes it a lot harder for people to dupe you.

A CPU or processor is the chip you put on the mother board that sort of acts like a brain for the computer - it processes information.
Hardware is a part you can physically hold in your hands. Say you removed your cd or dvd rom drive, that would be a piece of hardware. Software is something you install from a disc or file, but isn't physically real - such as an OS.

Big box everything is hooked to? Maybe the power supply?
Still, regardless of the part, I doubt any of them would cost you $300 for the part. If getting it fixed at a shop - maybe, as they tend to over charge for something that may take 10-15 minutes to fix.

Stats would be what is in the comp. If you have a list of the parts in it that came with the computer when you bought it that would work. Usually it will say on the side of the box unless it was custom built. If custom, you should have a receipt somewhere.

-For those with working computers who want a list of everything on their comp you can use something like this http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
(probably better ones now, but I haven't really ever needed any)
Thanks for taking the time to post all of this, StrangeWings.
I'll read it, and read it again, till I can process what you're saying, and post a response when my head is clearer. Right now, I'm getting burnt out, and wouldn't make much sense..

BTW, the "big box thingy" I'm referring to is the thing that you plug the monitor, printer/scanner, phone jack, etc. into - the thing that holds the motherboard and whatever else that is inside it. I don't know what it's actually called.
I hope that helps to clarify what I'm referring to..

Thanks again for all your help!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Belarc is awesome when you have to reinstall all your programs again. It also will list key codes like for windows in case you lost it.

I talked to DH and he said that only a HP or Dell system should cost you $300 cause they are more particular. Like there is more than one type of memory card slots and stuff that your existing stuff has to fit into.

You don't need anything else if it is just the motherboard. You will not lose information since your hard drive is something totally different.
Thanks for your input & help, too, CrazyforInfo.
Every bit is helpful and appreciated..

~KK~

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

BTW, the "big box thingy" I'm referring to is the thing that you plug the monitor, printer/scanner, phone jack, etc. into - the thing that holds the motherboard and whatever else that is inside it. I don't know what it's actually called.
I hope that helps to clarify what I'm referring to..

Thanks again for all your help!

~KK~[/b]
The computer case? Metal case that the mother board is screwed to?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The computer case? Metal case that the mother board is screwed to?
I guess so.
But I thought that the mother board was on the inside of it.

~KK~

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess so.
But I thought that the mother board was on the inside of it.

~KK~
Yep it's screwed to the side panel that doesn't come out. Opposite side that you open.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Problem is, that it is an HP. It has a proprietary motherboard that most likely houses the sound card, video card and the network card. I worked for HP for 6 years as a NetServer tech. To be honest, your best bet is to get a new computer. You can usually get a very good deal at Staples on their store brand computer. I have sen them as cheap as $150 for just the tower. Since you already have all the peripherals, you only need the tower. Where do you live? I will do some research for you and point you in the right direction. An HP with a fried motherboard is a paperweight unless you want to pay their exorbitant price for their parts.