Food Recomendation

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OKay since my cat Bear got his bladder infection crystals from the food we are feeding him now. I don't want to feed that to my other cat Rocko.

What dry food that you can find at Walmart or Petsmart would you recomend for him?

He likes to throw up a lot from his food because he eats too much too fast and he has hairballs. I would like dry food that is good for the UT and for hairballs.

Thanks!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what foods are available in your area, but I would imagine Petsmart has some better choices than Walmart, at least up here.

They tend to be prone to bladder infections to get one, it isn't just the food, but a higher quality food will help.

I am sure sharky will be along with some recommendations but how much are you prepared to spend, and do / will you feed wet or dry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always feed my cats dry because there poop smells worse when I feed them wet.

Is wet food more better for cats than dry?

But I perfer dry. I'd say no more than $40.00 for a good size bag of whatever it is.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you feed currently? You might want to look at Nutro or Royal Canin.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might look at Nutro Max. It's available at Petsmart. They have a hairball variety that doesn't contain wheat like the regular adult does. (Wheat does not agree with any of my cats stomachs but all cats are different) Someone else here might know if the roasted chicken hairball variety it is UTI friendly like the regular roasted chicken variety is.

straybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

nutro max is uti safe
do you have something to back that up? wet or dry?

OP, if your vet can't reccomend a food (beyond the typical prescription diet) you may want to look into seeing a feline vet nutritionist or holistic vet for diet help. they will work with your reg vet if the reg vet is open to it. been down this road and was given diet and supplement help (my vet is both traditional and holistic). i also have a Dal, which is a breed that is born with crystal/stone issues, so we're big on UT diet health around here

you may want to try some different wet diets or float a dry diet. on the wet diets, when you find one that works for your cats' systems, it shouldn't smell much. proper diet for your felines should produce less stool (waste) and a lower stink factor
also, if you don't have a kitty fountain, you may want to add one. proper moisture helps keep the system flushed and clear. another reason to stay away from a strickly kibble diet

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by straybaby

do you have something to back that up? wet or dry?

OP, if your vet can't reccomend a food (beyond the typical prescription diet) you may want to look into seeing a feline vet nutritionist or holistic vet for diet help. they will work with your reg vet if the reg vet is open to it. been down this road and was given diet and supplement help (my vet is both traditional and holistic). i also have a Dal, which is a breed that is born with crystal/stone issues, so we're big on UT diet health around here

you may want to try some different wet diets or float a dry diet. on the wet diets, when you find one that works for your cats' systems, it shouldn't smell much. proper diet for your felines should produce less stool (waste) and a lower stink factor
also, if you don't have a kitty fountain, you may want to add one. proper moisture helps keep the system flushed and clear. another reason to stay away from a strickly kibble diet
WELL SAID

Yeah it is FDA certified in the dry( the adult in chn in orange bag ... since a mild refomulation is now showing up the testing is being redone

MOST wets are UTI safe as there phos calcium and magnesium fall into safe guidelines... Purina has one dry and wet in both pro plan and one that are certified ... ie 18-24 months of FDA testing as that claim fall s under them... YOu can PM me if need be as I have covered this topic alot

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

MOST wets are UTI safe as there phos calcium and magnesium fall into safe guidelines... Purina has one dry and wet in both pro plan and one that are certified ... ie 18-24 months of FDA testing as that claim fall s under them... YOu can PM me if need be as I have covered this topic alot
But no fish in wet for UTI health, right?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I advise that since most fish has the "bones" in it and thus is high in ca and phos and mag...

straybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

i've heard for cats you shouldn't feed fish more than once or twice a week regardless. but my brain is tired and i could be thinking home-prepared diets vs commercial. (and that may not even make a dif!) we do fish on the weekends here as it's easy for me to remember

Sharky, no offense, but i trust the fda about this much (-), lol!~

what they approve for us to eat scares the heck outta me. and when i saw how they did things during the pet food recall, i became even more scared. they went from not releasing ANY meat/poultry that had eaten tainted food to doing a QUICK "study" and suddenly it was all ok. their "study" was based on the average 132lb person . . i only wiegh 105 and my pets even less! lol!~ maybe one of these days they'll get these agancies up to speed with our food supply. i say stick to as many whole foods and ingredients as possible for human and pets and know your sources!
and that is easier with many wet diets for cats. there are some brands you can get that are mostly a single source protein with supplements. K.I.S.S. seems to be a good bet with commercial pet food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by straybaby

i've heard for cats you shouldn't feed fish more than once or twice a week regardless. but my brain is tired and i could be thinking home-prepared diets vs commercial. (and that may not even make a dif!) we do fish on the weekends here as it's easy for me to remember

Sharky, no offense, but i trust the fda about this much (-), lol!~

what they approve for us to eat scares the heck outta me. and when i saw how they did things during the pet food recall, i became even more scared. they went from not releasing ANY meat/poultry that had eaten tainted food to doing a QUICK "study" and suddenly it was all ok. their "study" was based on the average 132lb person . . i only wiegh 105 and my pets even less! lol!~ maybe one of these days they'll get these agancies up to speed with our food supply. i say stick to as many whole foods and ingredients as possible for human and pets and know your sources!
and that is easier with many wet diets for cats. there are some brands you can get that are mostly a single source protein with supplements. K.I.S.S. seems to be a good bet with commercial pet food
I dont put alot of faith but it is better than a food saying well we fit the % but have never actually tested our food s...
.. for cats with dry whole can actually mean eating more and digesting less ..18-24 month s does seem to be a bit more than quick but then again they call the foods drugs

lol.. I agree with trying to know all sources ... mine eat three different dry s and homemade ( working back to raw since I finally am catching the learning curve on the latest chronic to hit the house)