KatKwiz 2008 Poll - What is fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before voting, please consider the following:
  • Those with under 1200 posts normally do not have a lot of points.
  • Those with under 1200 posts, generally speaking, would not compete well against those with more posts.
  • KatKwiz was originally intended to train new members on the use of The Cat Site in finding information.
  • About 12.5% of active members have over 1200 posts (1 out of 8).
  • ---------BUT----------
  • 4 days ago there were 6 points in the KatKwiz account. Now there are over eighty five thousand, all contributed by members with MORE than 1200 posts.
So, what is fair? How should we start the new KatKwiz for 2008?
In the future we could vote again; perhaps even have a two level KatKwiz.
I am going to abide by the results of this poll.

Changes to KatKwiz rules are going to be kept to an absolute minimum. There can be no changes after January 1, 2008, except by a constitutional amendment. If you are unfamiliar with KatKwiz, please click on the link in the siggy.

Thank you for your time,

Lee and Crew

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
To be fair, how about only newer members can post during the first few hours? If at that point you do not have have a correct response or any responses then the quiz is open to all members?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that it is fair only new members get involved. Those of us with thousands of posts and points don't really need the points. What do we use the points for anyway???

Us older members with tons of points can just create our own games if we feel the need.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about alternating? Make some questions for newer members only, some for everyone?

You can announce it in the title, that way the easier questions are only open to newer members and the more challenging ones are for everyone.

I like the challenge of answering the questions, but the points don't matter as much to me now.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of leaving it open to everyone. Some people have 1200 posts but left TCS for whatever reason for a while and came back recently to lots of new stuff, like yourself Persi who it would help.

I also think different days would get too confusing and the whole adult cat thing can be confusing as people have the Adult Cat beneath their name after the number of posts but may have only been a member for a short period of time and still not know stuff.

Also people who have been members for years still learn new stuff they didn't know was there

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

How about alternating? Make some questions for newer members only, some for everyone?

You can announce it in the title, that way the easier questions are only open to newer members and the more challenging ones are for everyone.

I like the challenge of answering the questions, but the points don't matter as much to me now.
I like this idea, I think maybe run a special contest for older members every once in awhile, with extra hard questions

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think, given the purpose of the contest -- to help newer members learn their way around the site and learn to use the site -- that it should be primarily for the newer members. I'd say anyone newer than Top Cat gives a reasonable cutoff point, especially if occasionally there were a question -- a harder question -- that's open to everyone. I also think that the regular questions could be opened up to all comers if there isn't a correct answer within a given period -- as long as there's a decent chunk of time protected for newer members.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I say let everyone play.

Or you could just donate all the points to me! That is a great option too!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I think, given the purpose of the contest -- to help newer members learn their way around the site and learn to use the site -- that it should be primarily for the newer members. I'd say anyone newer than Top Cat gives a reasonable cutoff point, especially if occasionally there were a question -- a harder question -- that's open to everyone. I also think that the regular questions could be opened up to all comers if there isn't a correct answer within a given period -- as long as there's a decent chunk of time protected for newer members.
I wholeheartedly agree - newer members only. Even folks who have gone and returned know much more than new members and IMHO it was their choice to leave so I don't see a need to "compensate" them for returning.

If, after a designated period of time the "newbies" cannot find the answer then older members can have a shot at it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still weighing the question.
I rather like the idea of reserving, say, the first four, five, or six hours for a correct answer given by a Kitten, Alpha or Super Cat, and if none is given, awarding the points to the first Top Cat who posts the correct answer after that period has elapsed. Once in a while, a (particularly difficult) question could be open to all comers.

The majority of the members who have over 1,200 posts don't know what to do with all their points and can spend an evening or two sending gifts or making donations to bring their total points down to a less-than-obscene level, so I think most would participate just to face a challenge, rather than win points.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm still weighing the question.
I rather like the idea of reserving, say, the first four, five, or six hours for a correct answer given by a Kitten, Alpha or Super Cat, and if none is given, awarding the points to the first Top Cat who posts the correct answer after that period has elapsed. Once in a while, a (particularly difficult) question could be open to all comers.

The majority of the members who have over 1,200 posts don't know what to do with all their points and can spend an evening or two sending gifts or making donations to bring their total points down to a less-than-obscene level, so I think most would participate just to face a challenge, rather than win points.
Nicely said!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lee, as I mentioned in my PM to you......I voted for the newbies.Us older members, have been around and IMO, have enough points.Why not let it be for the newer ones, so they can buy gifts or whatever they want to?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason i hoard my points is for things like this. if i was a new member i couldn't donate that many points back into the system. So all the points i won from KatKwiz pretty much went back to this game. As Persi & Alley said, the older members with lots of points donate the points for other people to win.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't even know that there was a KatKwiz.

Are new members told about it when they join?
Were is it located?

Would you post a link to it please.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I didn't even know that there was a KatKwiz.

Are new members told about it when they join?
Were is it located?

Would you post a link to it please.
No link...Persi & Alley/Lee comes up with the questions and posts them here.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think it should be open to everyone. Even those of us that have been around for a bit can learn things from this. I tend to only visit a few areas of this site, and would enjoy learning about other areas. As well, a lot of the newer members might not even know about it to participate.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with those who say it should be for newbies for the first few hours. Newbies for the most part wouldn't stand a chance against most of the rest of us, and the questions would be answered within minutes. Where is the fun of that?
After a few hours, it can be opened up to everyone else.

This is a good opportunity for new members to join in and participate. It's hard enough for some people to put themselves forward. Do most of us really need the points? And is it really that big of a deal to not answer a question for a few hours?

For those of you who donated points, but now would like them back because they cannot participate, PM me, and I'll give you the points back. I'm going to donate a large chunk to Lee for the game, but I'll wait a few days so those of you who would like your points back can contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.