Jezabel got adopted yesterday.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only i'm not soo sure about the family that got her
I really don't have the best feeling. Her adoption was approved by my boss while i was busy doing surgeries. She ran in the room to tell me the good news (she thought it would be a good family) so i went out to talk with them. It was a mom and her two older daughters. They have 4 cats and no dogs- perfect for her as she loves cats, just not dogs. Indoors only. Then I told her " you do understand that Jezabel under no circumstances may be declawed because she only has three legs and uses her front two legs and claws to help her balance/move around- without them, she would loose that ability." I also told her that normally i recommend Soft Claws as a humane alternative to declawing- but since little Jezabel needs her claws to help her move around/balance- i would not recommend putting covers over them.

The woman then said "oh....well all of my other cats are declawed, we'll just have to talk to our vet and see"
i about slapped the woman! I then pulled the shelter vet out of surgeries and had her explaine to her WHY she could not be declawed (and why any other reputable vet would not agree to preform that surgery.) I told the lady she didn't need her if she was planning to deforme an already amputee kitten even further. I did NOT like her.
I'm soo worried now. Since my boss had already approved the adoption, we let the woman get Jezzy. but now i'm worrying if this woman is going to declaw this poor 3 legged kitten who has already been deformed and mutilated. I don't feel good about this home at all
I should have kept her myself. My boss ment well- she thought she was getting a good home until the lady pulled that. I'm just praying now that this woman has heard from our vet that she can not be declawed- i'm hoping that her vet will say the same thing and keep in mind what's in Jezabel's best interest. I told the lady that she has been at my house since the surgery and has never once scratched at furniture or the carpets- that she uses only her scratching post and she likes the sisal ones and uses them well.

Can we please get some vibes that this woman does NOT put Jezabel through a declaw and winds up being a better home than i'm thinking she will. I'm soo worried

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate it when things like that happen. We have to remain neutral on declawing, I know quite a few of my bottle babies have been declawed.

I hope that the lady realizes that she'd be severly harming Jezzy if she declawed her. Can you call to check up on her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I hate it when things like that happen. We have to remain neutral on declawing, I know quite a few of my bottle babies have been declawed.

I hope that the lady realizes that she'd be severly harming Jezzy if she declawed her. Can you call to check up on her?
You know what, i have the ladies number in the adoption files, i think i will call in a week or so and just check up. Unfortuantely, the shelter i work for tries to remain declaw neutral as we are a city run shelter- although i ALWAYS advise against it and recommend soft claws. In the case of Jezabel though- we ALL told her she should not declaw- and the lady gave us the vets name (which is one i know so i'm hoping since that is a good vet- he will refuse to do the surgery). I'm soo worried about her

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Even if the adoption was approved, why didn't they cancel it after it was made aware that she was going to have her declawed?!

If it were me I'd go and offer her double the adoption fee as a refund just to get that poor kitty away from her

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear...... I wish that declawing was illegal in the states..... I didn't know how bad it was until I joined this site. I still haven't been able to talk my mom into not declawing her two cats
She tells me they are clawing up everything and she's going to declaw them. I tell her, if I have three cats and NONE of them claw up anything that isn't theirs.
Still she thinks there's nothing she can do for her cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

OMG! Even if the adoption was approved, why didn't they cancel it after it was made aware that she was going to have her declawed?!

If it were me I'd go and offer her double the adoption fee as a refund just to get that poor kitty away from her
My boss had already approved the adoption
(she honestly thought she was getting her a good home...that is until i told the lady about the whole declawing situation). And unfortunately, right now is just not a good time for our shelter- lots of animals at the moment....so to turn down a home where she'd be indoors only, with other cats (which she needs), have an owner who would provide proper vet care/food/etc....it's just not a good situation.
I brought the shelter vet out and had her talk at length with her- and i'm going to call the other vet (whom she says she uses- he's a personal friend of mine) and if she brings him in hopefully she'll listen to him and understand. I'm really worried though- why on earth would someone want to put a little 3 legged kitten through an unnecessary surgery!
And another thing- Jezzy has NEVER gone after furniture or carpets/etc- she uses her scratching post- it might be one thing if she was destructive- but she is not. I hope the woman listens. I plan to call and do a follow through and check up on the situation. I hope it's nothing but good news. I'm just worried

Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Oh dear...... I wish that declawing was illegal in the states..... I didn't know how bad it was until I joined this site. I still haven't been able to talk my mom into not declawing her two cats
She tells me they are clawing up everything and she's going to declaw them. I tell her, if I have three cats and NONE of them claw up anything that isn't theirs.
Still she thinks there's nothing she can do for her cats
I wish it were illegal as well

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to suggest that you call the woman's vet, but I see you already plan to do so. I guess that's about all you can do in the situation.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no..... I don't understand why someone would want to declaw a cat in the first place.
I pray she's told that she can't declaw Jazzy. Fortunately de-clawing is not an option here. I'm glad you plan to call the vet and let him know, it would be good to have his back-up.