Help...diarrhea-very water!

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asher has had bouts of diarrhea for the past week or two. It's very watery. He eats Jack's kitten chow, could that be the culprit? I try to keep their food separate but sometimes it's hard and Asher gets into it and Jack gets into Asher's. He's also been pooping outside the litter boxes (this started around the time we got Jack which was in August). I'm a little worried about my kitty boy. Thanks.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is the possibility that the kitten food is giving Asher the "runs", but just to be safe, I would take a fresh fecal sample into the vet and have it tested for parasites, just in case. He may be pooping outside the box due to the arrival of Jack, or he may have caught a parasite from Jack and that may be why his litterbox habits have changed. for Asher feeling better soon!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's watery, it could be that he's picked up a protozoan infestation such as giardia or coccidia, so I'd take him and a stool sample along to the vet. It could be the food, but it's important to rule out other causes before assuming it's that - but I think if the stools are actually watery, rather than just soft or slightly runny, then it doesn't sound as though it's likely to be the food causing it - watery stools are more likely to be caused by infestation or infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

With the pooping outside the box, I would get him checked out by the vet

Did you add extra litterboxes when you brought home Jack?
I've got two boxes right now, but I'm thinking I should get a third.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

If it's watery, it could be that he's picked up a protozoan infestation such as giardia or coccidia, so I'd take him and a stool sample along to the vet. It could be the food, but it's important to rule out other causes before assuming it's that - but I think if the stools are actually watery, rather than just soft or slightly runny, then it doesn't sound as though it's likely to be the food causing it - watery stools are more likely to be caused by infestation or infection.
Both of my cats are strictly indoors, could they still get these protozoan? Only one has diarrhea.
My poor boy is a hellraiser at the vet. He will not let anyone near him to check him out, especially the vet and even the techs. He has to be anesthetized.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that some of his stools are very watery and others have the consistency of pancack batter.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, even indoor cats can get diseases. Many airborn diseases can live on your clothes for a while, so if you came into close contact with a cat outside etc you can bring the disease home which is why vets recommend vaccinations for indoor cats too. There is a much smaller chance, but it can happen.

I would try the extra litterbox, it may stop him doing outside the box, but to me the watery stool still is something that warrants a vet visit, especially if it is ongoing and lasted for more than a few days without obvious causes.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those sorts of things are commonly found in soil, streams, lakes, reserviours etc. - it's something you could easily bring in from outdoors on your shoes.

I'd be a bit concerned if it's been going on for a while - give the vet a call and see if you can just take a stool sample along for analysis, there may not be any need to stress your cat unduly

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Those sorts of things are commonly found in soil, streams, lakes, reserviours etc. - it's something you could easily bring in from outdoors on your shoes.

I'd be a bit concerned if it's been going on for a while - give the vet a call and see if you can just take a stool sample along for analysis, there may not be any need to stress your cat unduly
I called the vet and they said I could bring in a fresh sample for evaluation. Now I just have to wait for a fresh sample.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any luck yet?

Just an FYI --- "fresh" in this case means no more than 24 hours or so. I was also told that the sample should be refrigerated if it'll be a few hours before it can be brought to the vet for analysis.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Any luck yet?

Just an FYI --- "fresh" in this case means no more than 24 hours or so. I was also told that the sample should be refrigerated if it'll be a few hours before it can be brought to the vet for analysis.
I ran to the store this afternoon and as I got all my groceries inside I noticed Asher in the litter box and he was going #2 so I quickly grabbed a ziploc bag and scooped it up when he was done. I immediately took it over to the vet. Probably the freshest sample they've ever had!

Anyway, Asher does not have any parasites/infection/etc. The vet said it could be caused by stress, eating kitten food, or maybe he got into something in the house. He gave me some meds for diarrhea that I have to give to Asher 2x/day for 7 days and hopefully that will clear him up.
When I think back, I believe Asher had a bout of diarrhea a few years ago and I had to give him some meds for it then too. I think he might have a sensitive GI system.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarySmith

Try boiling some chicken and white rice and adding a little apple.
I would ask the vet on this .. it is a common anti or post diarreal diet but I suspect the meds should work... Glad he gave you a sample
I know the run it over well

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh godd, I may never eat pancakes again! Thanks for the description! LOL

Im glad you got a "fresh" sample to the vet! I had to take one of mine in one time for a "fecal float" and I think it would have been easier to get a sample myself!! Im glad they didn't find anything!!
Good luck keep us posted!