Menu ideas for a true Polish meal

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So DH bought a Kielbasa(sp?) today and wants me to make a true Polish style meal tomarrow(Friday). I have no idea what to make and serve with it. I know saurkraught(sp) but thats about all. What else should I make. I don't think the two things would be enough food. I have no idea why he wants this but oh well, I will make him happy. I do know to have plenty of antacids and things on hand. Please help, any and all ideas will be taken. Remember this is only going to feed two people so we don't need a ton of food, just enough to enjoy it and maybe have some leftovers.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

How about some Pierogies? I think that those are Polish...I know that they are good

and also Paczyki (sp? -> Pronounced Puunchki) for dessert!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked my husband (he's Czech) and he suggested you add dumplings (known as knedlik - just google search this for a list of recipes) if you want to add something to the sauerkraut. It seems that most recipes are common between Polish/Czech/Ukrainian folks.

Also, you always have to have a loaf of good rye bread. I think that's mandatory.

You could make a stew called lecho. Here's one version, but there's a million variations out there.

1Tbsp olive oil
2 Lbs red peppers sliced
1 Lb ripe tomatoes chopped
1 onion chopped
3/4 Lb smoked keilbasa
2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbsp cayenne or to taste
1 egg-beaten (optional)

In a large saucepan, pour olive oil and add chopped onion. Cook till the onions are soft then sprinkle with paprika and cayenne. Add the peppers and the tomatoes and cook for 20-30 minutes. Add the sliced sausage and cook 10 minutes more. Add to the pot while stirring until the eggs are cooked. Serve hot with good rye bread and butter.

Hope this helps!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got this recipe from my polish MIL. Both of her parents were born in Poland and this is one of their traditional meals. Put away the tums. The kraut is so mellow that you will be OK with this one. Serve with pierogies (sold in the freezer compartment usually next to frozen ravioli), or with parsley boiled potatoes. It also goes very good with a robust rye bread and butter.

Kapusta

2 pork steaks or chops, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, cubed
1 stalk celery, cubed
2 lb. kraut
Kielbasa (or any good smoked polish or german sausage)
1-2 cups mashed potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley (large dash)

In a large pan, cook cubed pork and onions in oil until browned (use as little oil as your pan can handle). Barely cover with water; cover and simmer ½ hour. Add carrots and celery; cover and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.

While carrots/celery are cooking, cook undrained kraut in saucepan for 20-30 minutes. Drain in colander and rinse thoroughly with water. Brown the Kielbasa then cut into serving size portions.

Add the kraut and the browned Kielbasa to pork/veggie mix. Add mashed potatoes, salt, pepper and parsley. Cook, covered for 1 hour. Best put in refrigerator and reheated the next day.

(oh yeah, and my grandmother was born in Warsaw)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 cakes yeast
1 1/3 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm (about 85 degrees)
5 ½ cups flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ oz rum
Prepared prune or apricot filling
Fat for frying
Confectionerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s sugar

Crumble yeast into bowl and add lukewarm milk. Add half the flour and mix well. Beat eggs and egg yolks with sugar and salt and add to flour mixture. Add melted butter, vanilla and rum. Work in remaining flour. Allow to rise in warm place until spongy, about 2 hours.

Turn dough out on floured board and cut into round sections with juice sized glass. Spread dough apart enough to fill with prepared filling. Seal filling into dough. Allow bismarcks to rise in warm place until double in bulk. Then fry in hot deep fat (about 375 degrees) until brown. Turn just once. Drain on absorbent paper. While still warm, sprinkle with confectionerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s sugar.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pierogi

Makes about 130 (yes, 130) medium-sized pierogiâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s

About 4 lbs. flour
1 tbsp. salt
10 eggs
3 cups warm water

Dump flour on table and make a hole in the middle.
Break eggs into the hole and start mixing and add
salt and water. Knead until spongy. Sprinkle flour
on board or table so dough doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stick. Roll dough
and cut into circles using a glass, cup or a cutter.
Fill each circle and fold in half. Press ends together
good so they wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t open when cooking. Put flour on
fingers when pressing so dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough could be stretched a bit to make filling easier. Be careful not to rip the dough however. (Can also pull off bits of dough and roll each bit into circle and fill but it takes longer and not uniform) Put the filled pierogi on floured wax paper. Keep separate.

While making pierogi (stuffing them) put large pot of water on stove to boil, bring to rolling boil and drop pierogiâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a few at a time. Allow to boil a few minutes after they start to float. Remove, drain and brush with melted butter.

Eat or cool and store in refrigerator or freezer.
(If you freeze and then cook later – bring to room temperature and fry in margarine ‘til warm and browned).

FILLINGS:

Cheese Filling
Mix well and fill – makes about 16 medium size

1 lb. dry or bakers cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp. sugar and salt
bit of pepper

Sauerkraut Filling

Small head of cabbage shredded
2 – 2 lb. cans of sauerkraut
1 ½ lbs. onions chopped
½ lb. oleo

Cook cabbage covered with water and boil for about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and cool. Drain and rinse sauerkraut and cook 20 minutes covered with water. After cooking both, drain, squeeze out as much water as you can. Cut kraut a bit so it is not stringy. Salt and pepper to taste.

Chop about 1 ½ lbs. of onions and fry in about ½ lb. oleo. Cook onions ‘til well done but not burnt. Mix cabbage and kraut and onions together and set aside to cool. If cheese is available put a few tsp. of cheese in kraut and mix well. Fill.

Makes about 70 medium

Potato filling
Cook and mash about 3 lbs. peeled potatoes. Add about 3 to 4 tbsp. of cooked, buttered and chopped onions and mix well. Allow to cool. When ready to fill, add about ½ lb. dry cottage cheese and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. (cheese is optional)

*You can also use cherries or plums for filling- canned in stores; well drained

Fillings can be adjusted to taste. More or less onions, cheese, salt etc. Filling must be precooked or something like cheese that can be eaten as is. The cooking time is short, so filling is warmed, not cooked.

To warm after they have been cooked – put in large pan with melted margarine and warm either in oven or stove using low heat and keeping covered so they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t burn or dry out.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This one doesn't have Kielbasa, but you could probably substitute the pork with the Kielbasa, or add both to the pot. It's a lot easier than some of the other recipes I've posted. Yes, I'm married to a pure bred pollack (no offense to the polish as I'm also one) and he loves his polish meals. The lines are drawn pretty sketchy between all slavik country foods.

Pork and Cabbage

Country pork ribs (or small pork roast)
1 large head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
½ lb. peeled carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces
2 potatoes, cut in large chunks
1 large onion

Brown pork in large pot. Add onions and 1 inch
water. Cover and cook 1-1/2 hours. Add cabbage,
carrots and potatoes and cook for 30-45 minutes until
cabbage is tender.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spaetzle (almost a noodly-dumpling)

Mix:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Use rubber spatula to press batter through colander
into pot of salty rapidly boiling water. Cook and stir
5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

PM me if you want some polish desert recipes. I think I have some in the family cookbook.