Bengals and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the Bengal rescue list about a week ago a woman from Maine was looking to rehome her 4 year old neutered Bengal because of issues with her NSDTR puppy (8 months old). She initially wrote that the young puppy won't leave the poor cat alone.

I emailed her and she responded back. I'm trying to get more info about what exactly is going on but would like to get opinions on how to integrate these two high energy, intelligent breeds.

Here is what she wrote so far:

My dog is about 8 months old. He is a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever and his breed has a high prey drive and just generally do not tolerate cats. He has been to obedience school and I am working with him, but I work on a computer all day at home and it is a little difficult to keep him next to me all day. The cat is now trying to eat out of the dog's bowl and is causing quite a bit of upset to the dog. I feed the cat up high so that the dog can't get into the cat food. I guess I am just tired of all the chaos. We almost lost the Christmas tree between their tussling around it. Its a combined household now of my dog and his cat and we thought it might be better to find another home for one of them.

It sounds like she had the dog and her friend/boyfriend/husband? had the cat and they moved in together. All the changes can be hard enough then add the holidays to it and she is totally frustrated. In my email I asked a ton of questions and hopefully she will be willing to answer them.

She also said that the cat is 'free to a good home' so I'm hoping she won't let him go to the first person who inquires.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those experienced with Bengals.

Thanks!

Lisa

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AT 8 months the prey drive is likely a play drive ... She should consult a behaviorist or a IN HOME trainer ... IMHO that is what most dogs need to get trained is training at home for specific issues... I have a terrier with a HIGH prey drive and no issues with her and the cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

AT 8 months the prey drive is likely a play drive ... She should consult a behaviorist or a IN HOME trainer ... IMHO that is what most dogs need to get trained is training at home for specific issues... I have a terrier with a HIGH prey drive and no issues with her and the cat
That's what I was thinking, since he's still a puppy it's most likely him playing. I also suggested getting help from someone. I did suggest that she leash him to her so she has total control. The moment the pup tries to chase to give him a quick leash correction and the moment he looks at her to praise the heck out of him and treat him. I told her she needs to be consistent in his training.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah consistant is something that needs to be ...lmao.. I have trained everything from a bull mastiff to my yorkie...lol.. the yorkie was the toughest

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about NSDTR's but if she "needs" to adopt out the Bengal please tell her to contact the breeder, any decent breeder wants their cats back if the owner needs to rehome them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I don't know anything about NSDTR's but if she "needs" to adopt out the Bengal please tell her to contact the breeder, any decent breeder wants their cats back if the owner needs to rehome them.
One of my questions was asking if this cat came from a breeder. You're right, any reputable breeder will want the cat back.