Oh the joys of finding work that...

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has hours you can actually work. As some of ya'll know starting week my husbands hours get cut. As a family unit I think we will get by but as for my gas money and what not that will hurt. So I have taken on trying to find a part time job with hours I can work to pick up that end of the money. So I just started asking around and looking around. But what hurts me is the hours and the fact that one of my son's is not in all day school. So that adds a kink oh and the summer with all the boys. But I do have some things in the works I think. I found out how much I can make doing pecans on my own and taking them to the processing plant. I can make anywhere from .50-.85 cents a pound. Which if you break that down it around 360.00 for 2 weeks to 417.00 for 2 weeks before splitting with the property owners. So take home that would be 180-270 for 2 weeks to 208-312 for 2 weeks. So not to bad.

I am also hoping to pick up some house cleaning. either during or after pecan season (lasts till March). So we are looking at 3 houses a week (I know of 2 people already) at 50.00 per house per week 150 a week.

I have talked to a local store to me and I might be able to work some hours there. So I have some wood in the fire.

Some good vibes on the top 2 options that I can get at least a few houses/properties a week for this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know up until today how much I could make doing it on my own. I know I have one property for sure I can work on. Its a friend of mine. She said she does not know how much is out there but according to her daughter a lot is down there. She also said she has not checked them since the harvest season began so she does not know how they are producing. So we are gonna go out there in the morning and check and see how they are producing.

I also have my eye on several other properties but I just have to get over my fear of knocking on people's doors.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Luck! With the pecans, do you just gather them up, or is there something you have to do to prepare them? Are there actual Pecan farms, or just people that happen to have pecan trees on their property? I'm just curious...I've never thought about where pecans come from.

I would let you come up and clean my house, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!

Hope everything works out for you! Sounds like you got some good prospects.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No there is not much you have to do to prepare them. Just pick them up, bag them (in just about anything) and take them over to the processing plant. We don't have many processing plants around here and out of the 3 I know of only one accepts sellers like what I am doing.

Well I would not really call them farms per say. They are more like small groves that people have as well as just random trees on some properties. Around here pecans are big business lots of people have at least a few trees in their yard. A small grove of say 10 medium trees can produce several hundred pounds. One grove I worked for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks yeilded roughly 840 lbs. Now bigger trees produce more.

Pecans come from all over the US. And there are many varities. I just heard about soft shell pecans.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could your husband not watch the children on his cut hours allowing you to have more flexibility in finding something, or could he not find something for those extra hours or look for something that has enough hours?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Could your husband not watch the children on his cut hours allowing you to have more flexibility in finding something, or could he not find something for those extra hours or look for something that has enough hours?
Could he probably and honestly he had a like 3 days off before christmas and he watched my youngest in the afternoon so I could get 3 more hours in in the afternoon. Right now I am not pushing this issue to much. 1. because I know on his days off he will watch him and 2. I am not really looking for a straight 8-4 part time job just yet. I am waiting until next school term for that because I will have all the boys in all day school.

So for right now if I can just get some steady side jobs it will be alright. Tight yes but alright.

ETS: No he can't really find anything around here to pick up the extra hours. We live in a small small town with not a lot of formal jobs. This is why he is tempted to move back to Fla first of the year. I know someone right now looking for a formal job and can't find anything. Quite frankly the only reason I know of all these side jobs is because I talk to a lot of people in town and I get told about all these other jobs. Not everybody knows about these because they are not advertised.