What a strange ingredient

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I was making a cup of my favorite hot tea. (Tension Tamer) While I was waiting for the water to boil I read the ingredients in the tea and one of them is catnip!!!!
I let Popsie sniff one of the bags and he didn't seem interested so there can't be a lot in it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm???? really? I took a small college course (for fun) on Wild Edible plants and at the end we had to create something "natural"...so having cats, I tried making catnip tea from fresh leaves. It was HORRIBLE - even the cat would not drink any of it and he loved catnip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

hmmm???? really? I took a small college course (for fun) on Wild Edible plants and at the end we had to create something "natural"...so having cats, I tried making catnip tea from fresh leaves. It was HORRIBLE - even the cat would not drink any of it and he loved catnip
I can see how that would taste bad.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Catnip is supposed to relax you. It will make me sleepy if strong in a tea. You can get pure catnip at health food stores to make tea with. It's in the mint family - but definitely does not taste like peppermint tea. Mixed in with other teas it's not too bad.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have Celesteal Seasonings "Tension Tamer" tea, and it has "catnip" as one of the ingredients.

The tea is absolutely awful. I keep thinking that I'll start putting a bag in with the water when I soak my feet, because it's too ghastly to drink.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is weird!!
I had one of the guys I work with on the weekend ask me what catnip was exactly... I told him it was a dried herb
sorta like something else

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have Celesteal Seasonings "Tension Tamer" tea, and it has "catnip" as one of the ingredients.

The tea is absolutely awful. I keep thinking that I'll start putting a bag in with the water when I soak my feet, because it's too ghastly to drink.
That's exactly what mine is.
I love it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes dried catnip could be mistaken for another illegal dried "herb"

In fact, some of the tiny pieces can also resemble flea dirt! I found that out at a cat show long time ago. Was showing one of my cats and gave them a little bit of dried catnip in the cage. Well the silly cat rolled in it and I didn't notice it before going to the ring - judge was going over the coat and thought it was flea dirt and questioned me later. I explained that it was catnip (in the cage) and the judge told me to be sure you comb very well before you bring the cat to the ring next time!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catnip is long been used as a mild relaxent in a tea form ... YUP it kinda does resemble a not so legal plant but the smell is a give away

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never thought of making tea from fresh leaves -- I wonder if it might taste better if you dried the leaves first...?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've never thought of making tea from fresh leaves -- I wonder if it might taste better if you dried the leaves first...?
OHHH YEAH it does

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes dried catnip could be mistaken for another illegal dried "herb"
Psychologically too!

Back when I was 18 years old, I hung out with one of my cousins and his friends and he and some of them were into smoking marijuana. One day I decided to play a joke on them. I bought some cigarette papers and rolled up 4 of them with catnip.

They couldn't stop gushing about "what great weed" etc etc!