What happened to my kitten's leg?

lincoln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I got a kitten a few weeks ago and it was very playful. Last night I was downstairs and my kitten was upstairs, on my bed. It came downstairs and when I saw it I noticed it was favoring its front right leg. After watching it a bit longer it doesn't really put weight on that leg. When it sits down, it usually holds its paw up. It doesn't feel broken, and my kitten doesn't seem to be in pain, and is just as friendly as ever. He won't jump like he did before, but he can get up/down the stairs just as easily as he could before.

Could it be a sprain or something? I did look at his paw but didn't see anything (such as glass) stuck there. What should I do? A trip to the vet would be a last resort for me as they are very expensive and he doesn't seem to be in pain.

I hope somebody can help me! Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably nothing more then a sprain. I've had kittens jump from higher places (like a bed) when they were small and they tend to not land correctly. If its not better in a day or two, then you might want a vet to look at the kitten and see if its something else.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten may have strained its leg or maybe dislocated a joint.

Animals are good at masking pain and behaving as if everything is normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lincoln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's not moving around as much now. I've also noticed when he stretches his paw or brings out his claws, he doesn't do it on his affected leg.

I guess I'll have to take him to the vet. I feel like they rip me off whenever I go there.

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lincoln

Hi,

I got a kitten a few weeks ago and it was very playful. Last night I was downstairs and my kitten was upstairs, on my bed. It came downstairs and when I saw it I noticed it was favoring its front right leg. After watching it a bit longer it doesn't really put weight on that leg. When it sits down, it usually holds its paw up. It doesn't feel broken, and my kitten doesn't seem to be in pain, and is just as friendly as ever. He won't jump like he did before, but he can get up/down the stairs just as easily as he could before.

Could it be a sprain or something? I did look at his paw but didn't see anything (such as glass) stuck there. What should I do? A trip to the vet would be a last resort for me as they are very expensive and he doesn't seem to be in pain.

I hope somebody can help me! Thanks!
Really, I'd give it more time. I'm absolutely obssesive/compulsive when it comes to my kittens......."are they sick? why are they not playing, etc etc" so I know and I can relate when folks get nervous about their cats. When I got my two kittens at 7 weeks old I would notice from time to time the one kitten would be limping. I called my cousin who has 4 cats and has had cats for many years and she told me it was common for a kitten to sprain a leg when they were playing rough. I touched my kitten's leg, played with it and the kitten never moved or acted like he was in any pain. It went away after a few days. Do the same, play with and prod his/her leg and see if they meow in pain, if not, I'd give it another day or so. It's probably nothing to get too worried about.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way, If you FEEL like the kitty needs the vet then that is the best thing to do! Also, if you feel like the vet you are using is ripping you off then you need to find a different one or ask the one you have to explain the prices!!
I wouldn't wait it out though, I broke my kittys leg and waited it out and by the time I took him in it had already starting healing and was too late to do anything for it! Now he's seven years old and has arthritis?? Also, is your kitty a boy or a girl? That way we dont have to call kitty "IT"!! Or a name!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lincoln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's seems to have made a full recovery with no trip to the vet needed, so I'm happy about that

Oh- and my kitty is a boy. His name is Lincoln

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Lincoln's leg healed by itself. Probably just a sprain or maybe just a caught claw causing it to be sore.

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lincoln

He's seems to have made a full recovery with no trip to the vet needed, so I'm happy about that

Oh- and my kitty is a boy. His name is Lincoln
Just know that if he's an active little boy, it'll probably happen again. With my one boy that same thing happened about three times until he got to about 6 months of age.