Cleaning products and cats

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm relatively new here, so please excuse me if this question has been asked before. Are you at all concerned about cats and the cleaning products you use? What I mean by that is, do you use cleaning products when mopping your floor? What about using Tilex and stuff when cleaning off bathroom countertops? I was way overdue for a good scrub down of my floors today and OF COURSE, the kittens had to be there every move I made. I was concerned that they would get a little on their paws and then end up licking it off. I suppose between the water diluting it and then them walking around a while, even if they did lick their paws it wouldn't be enough to hurt them, but I was just curious as to what you all thought.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use water and a microfiber mop when I scrub the floor. I can't forget reading about someone who used diluted bleach to mop the floor, and all her kittens died from it. I'm very very paranoid about using chemicals around my cats (even though they aren't kittens). I clean with Dawn detergent a lot.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone knows of any pet safe cleaning products. I really would like to give my house a good scrubbing down.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like Clorox Anywhere spray. It's safe for pets and kids. I also use Method Naked all surface spray. And Seventh Generation Free+Clear is nice too.

I also clean with dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda a lot. We just moved and the place was positively disgusting on move in. I had to use some pretty tough cleaners that I don't normally use. In that situation I keep the cats out until the surfaces dry.
Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I really like Clorox Anywhere spray. It's safe for pets and kids. I also use Method Naked all surface spray. And Seventh Generation Free+Clear is nice too.
Thanks for the tips! Are these cleaners that can be purchased at Wal Mart or a grocery store? I have never seen them, but then again I don't search out new cleaning products, but rather stay with ones I have used previously.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orltwa

Thanks for the tips! Are these cleaners that can be purchased at Wal Mart or a grocery store? I have never seen them, but then again I don't search out new cleaning products, but rather stay with ones I have used previously.
Just about everywhere has the Clorox Anywhere.
So that's the easiest to find. Method is at some grocery stores and Target. http://www.methodhome.com/support/store_locator.php
And Seventh Generation is at some Targets, and some grocery stores. I found Seventh Generation in Hy-Vee when I lived in Iowa.
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our...find_store.php

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Dawn dishwashing liquid to mop the kitchen floor and then I rinse and dry it.

For the room where the litter trays are, we use diluted bleach with a rinse.

The boxes themselves, we use diluted bleach with a complete thorough rinse. Bleach, of course is toxic to any critter, including humans, so the idea would be to contain cats too young to stay away on their own until you're finished.

I have also used Nature's Miracle to clean boxes, but it's not as effective.

I've always understood that Lysol is particularly toxic to cats as are essential oils. So going with a natural type cleaner should still include a once over on the ingredient list to make sure there's no essential oils in it. Cleaning products might have lavendar essential oils.

Murphy's oil soap is also something I use and is effective, even if you don't have a wood floor but rather a vinyl floor

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only products I use are vinegar and baking soda.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always rinsed any surface a cat will come in contact with once or twice.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost any product with bleach in it sets my DH's asthma off, so I had to go organic. It's good for him, it's good for the environment, and it's good for my kitties. An added plus is that it's good for my pocketbook, too!

For floors, windows, and mirrors I use a vinegar/water solution.
For bathtubs and sinks, I use baking soda.
For my toilets, I use Borax. I use an orange oil solution to clean the oven and stove top. For tile in my shower, I use this recipe:

1 C white vinegar
1 C blue Dawn
2 C water
Mix in sprayer and apply to shower walls, curtains, and glass doors after showering. Leave on and let the steam and water from your next shower clean the walls, curtains, and doors. If you're scrubbing, then apply, clean the rest of the bathroom, then rinse with warm water and a wash cloth.

To clean the litter boxes, I use baking soda.

I could go on and on about using vinegar and baking soda to clean!

Stephanie

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use Murphy's Soap on the floors and Method Cleaners (which are suppose to be pet-safe) on most of our surfaces. I do use diluted bleach in the bathroom and kitchen (20 parts water to 1 part bleach), our cats are not allowed on counters, tabletops, or in the bathrooms. We also use baking soda to scrub surfaces. If I have to disinfect an area where my cats do hang out I use a 32 parts water to 1 part bleach instead and make sure kitties don't come into contact with that area until its dry. I can't stand using white vinegar, I've tried it and though everyone says that the smell dissipates my nose can still pick up the scent and I hate it.