Cleaning out the box

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm not really writing because I have a problem (thank goodness) but more of a general question. So I scoop out my boxes at least once a day, if not twice when I'm home all day. My kittens have never gone outside the box so I don't have any issues with that (knocking on wood). What my question is, when I clean out the box and put fresh litter in once a week or so, should I be scrubbing out the boxes? I haven't done it up to this point because I'm afraid if I do hose them out each time I'll need to let them dry and I don't want the box to be absent for any length of time for fear they will go looking for it, needing to go, and it won't be there. What are your thoughts?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do scrub and disinfect them every time I change the litter because I want to make sure it's as clean as possible for them. I have four boxes, and I clean them out one at a time, that way there are still three down for them to use in case someone really has to go while the box is missing. I also dry them down right away with paper towels so it's even less time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I do scrub and disinfect them every time I change the litter because I want to make sure it's as clean as possible for them. I have four boxes, and I clean them out one at a time, that way there are still three down for them to use in case someone really has to go while the box is missing. I also dry them down right away with paper towels so it's even less time.
Thanks for your note! What kind of disinfectant do you use?

catsrule40

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also wash out the catbox with Pine-sol disinfectant, and dry with papertowels. About once a month or so, I use bleach.

If anyone has a better idea about what to clean the catbox out with, I'm open to suggestions too!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clean mine fully out and disinfect once a month..I have one cat. I just use whatever cleaner I have at the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if you are using scoopable and you are scooping out 1-2 times a day - you don't need to completely empty and scrub it but once a month. Now if you are using clay litter, then you might have to scrub it once a week or once every other week as you can't get all the pee odor out.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would say if you are using scoopable and you are scooping out 1-2 times a day - you don't need to completely empty and scrub it but once a month. Now if you are using clay litter, then you might have to scrub it once a week or once every other week as you can't get all the pee odor out.
This is a good point. I clean once a week because I have 13 cats using the litter boxes, but if you only have one or two cats it may not necessarily need to be scrubbed weekly.

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I just have two little kids and I do use scoopable litter, so maybe I'll start doing it once every three weeks or so.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I scoop 2-3 times daily, and scrub the boxes everytime I fully switch out the litter (every 3 to 4 weeks). I wash them with diluted bleach in hot water and then dry them with paper towels. I like a clean box and the boys don't seem to mind

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Iluvdevons

I scoop 2-3 times daily, and scrub the boxes everytime I fully switch out the litter (every 3 to 4 weeks). I wash them with diluted bleach in hot water and then dry them with paper towels. I like a clean box and the boys don't seem to mind
That's another good question, with scoopable litter do I need to change it out every week like I'm currently doing? Or is that excessive?

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i scoop 5x a day with 10 cats(6 just learning the litter box) and clean them fully once a week and disenfect the whole area they are in every week.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop after Charlie has done number 2s so during the week he always has litter to dig in. When it is changed once a week, EVERYTHING is thrown out, the tray is scrubbed clean, any litter on the floor is brushed away and paper under the tray replaced as well.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got two cats, three boxes that get scooped at least once a day. I have a schedule where I completely clean one each week and then take a week off. This helps me keep an eye on the boxes and if the grooves in the bottom get too deep, I just get a new box.

All in all, I'm scooping 1-2 times a day, refilling a bit after scooping, cleaning out one box completely on a three week cycle and probably replacing a box every 7-8 months...

I clean them with dilute bleach and rinse very very well. If I don't rinse the bleach well enough, the box will be ignored.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orltwa

Thanks for your note! What kind of disinfectant do you use?
I wash ours with dishsoap and hot water. Because Nabu pees on the back of our high sided boxes I spray the sides with Clorox Anywhere spray. I've noticed they seem cleaner since I added Clorox Anywhere to the routine. I use Method wipes in between washings for when he hoses the sides.

A side note-I know some people who never scrub the boxes. They just add new litter all the time. Those boxes are sooooo gross.
I can't even imagine the bacteria living in the box.

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scoop daily, adding a little fresh litter in. I dump completely about every 2-3 weeks. I take the boxes outside, hose out, then clean with vinegar and water and use paper towels to dry.

I have only ever used vinegar and water to disinfect the boxes. I keep it in a spray bottle. It's great for cleaning EVERYTHING, even glass and mirrors. I love it.

If your pets have accidents on carpet, vinegar will get it out and completely remove the odor, so they won't mark the same spot. It's a lot cheaper than other products and more effective IMO.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the litter clumps, I think you could strech out the time between fully emptying the box, but really its a matter of preference. Maybe try holding off for a week, and see how you feel about the state of the litterbox. I would disinfect the litterbox everytime you fully empty it

Originally Posted by orltwa

That's another good question, with scoopable litter do I need to change it out every week like I'm currently doing? Or is that excessive?