Abandoned diabetic cat

labronner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. We adopted two male cats from the Humane Society on Sunday, we intended to adopt only one but you know how that goes. Naturally, we know that means more $$$ in the long run but that's fine with us, we feel we can handle it. We are having some issues with our two new guys which I've already posted under Behavior. Now. here's the S.O.S. call we handled on yesterday.

A little background: We moved into our house 6 years ago and was instantly befriended by the "neighborhood" cat named Humphrey. He is the sweetest cat I've ever known and his owners seemed committed to doing a good job. I could go on and on about how amazing this little cat is, but, you get the idea. Anyway, two years ago, his owner told me he was diabetic and that she had to give him insulin shots twice a day. She also told me what food was o.k. to feed him. I told her at the time that she should alert the entire neighborhood as we all feed him. Anyway, through the grapevine, I've heard that his owner has some serious emotional issues and may not even still live in her house at all, but, still we were seeing her adorable orange cat and he seemed to be doing fine.

Fastforward to yesterday - Christmas Day of all days. I look in my backyard and I see this adorable cat laying out on some rocks while cold, rain is coming down. I went outside and the poor little guy was shivering. We picked him up and brought him in the house, covered him with some blankets and he just continued to sleep. He refused to eat or drink, we really thought he would be gone by this morning. We've called his owner several times leaving messages on her voicemail. No one is at home at her house. When the little guy was still alive this morning, we decided to take him to the vet. The vet said he is in a "diabetic crisis". He is staying at the animal hospital for the next five days (assuming he lives) so that they can get his blood/sugar regulated, etc. However, they said that it's possible he won't pull through as it's obvious his "owner" stopped giving him the insulin shots.

It is breaking our heart that this poor little cat whose always been our friend is now fighting for his life because of his coldblooded owner. We've decided if he pulls though, we will move him into our home permanently. Of course, his hospital stay will be at $1400 and we will have to learn how to give shots but we can't just sit back and not do anything. Please keep this little guy in your prayers.

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my, the poor creature! I will certianly keep this guy in my prayers.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your hearts for helping this poor little guy.
Sending lots of and Prayers his way.
As far as his "Owner"...if you can call him/her that...goes, there's a special place in hell for people that treat animals that way.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That poor sweet boy. Bless you for helping him. Sending many vibes and prayers his way.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor little guy! I'm sure he did absolutely nothing to deserve that. Vibes for him so that he'll have a good andd happy recovery and that you can take him in permanently to a good home.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor baby...you are angels for taking care of this boy. I don't know how someone can have a pet for years and then just "throw them away" when they are not convenient or easy anymore. Would they do that to their children too?

My husband and I had a Maine Coon that lived until he was 18. During his last year he developed insulin dependent diabetes and we had to give him insulin shots twice a day. It was not difficult at all, and he did not really seem to feel the shots (in the scruff of his neck). You do have to watch his food intake much more due to insulin reactions and check blood sugars regularly - but again neither of these are difficult to do.

Please keep us updated on him.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, that poor sweet thing
You are amazing to take on this sweety..and I pray that he makes it through I hate imagining how scared he must have been before you found him.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for taking the kitty in
You are his Christmas Angel. I have a diabetic boy myself and the shots are very easy to give . It's much easier than trying to give them a pill .

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking this poor guy in. How awful he must have been feeling! You are truly angels. Please do keep us updated. Sending many healthy vibes and prayers for him

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After having cared for three diabetic Siamese cats over the years, there is a very, very special place in my heart for the "Sugar Kitties" as I like to call them. I sincerely hope that little Humphrey will survive the crisis and that he will be right as rain in no time.

The best advice I can give you is to remember to breathe, my dear. It all seems very overwhelming right now, but with time and a little perseverance, you will get the hang of it.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by labronner

Anyway, through the grapevine, I've heard that his owner has some serious emotional issues and may not even still live in her house at all, but, still we were seeing her adorable orange cat and he seemed to be doing fine.
Poor little guy...thank goodness he came to your yard! Has anyone checked on this lady to make sure she isn't in need inside her home? I'm sure if she had been giving him injections all this time, something really drastic must have happened to his owner!

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Poor little guy...thank goodness he came to your yard! Has anyone checked on this lady to make sure she isn't in need inside her home? I'm sure if she had been giving him injections all this time, something really drastic must have happened to his owner!
Bless you, Taterbug - you have a much kinder, more optimistic heart than I do. My first reaction was to jump to conclusions, go all cat-vigilante and report the owners for neglect. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

The main thing is, it's wonderful he's safe and sound with you. Sending vibes like crazy that he recovers and has many happy years with you.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're an angel. He sure knew the right yard to wander into, huh? Keep us posted; I'm keeping you both in my thoughts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labronner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose no news is good news. We talked to the vet earlier and she said there was no change in Humphrey. He's still sleeping while getting the IV fluids. The vet was going to run a few additional tests and call us tonight. We certainly appreciate all your prayers.

Taterbug - I would love it if there was some good explanation as to why this owner abandoned this cat and I can see why you might think perhaps something bad had happened to the owner. Well, that doesn't appear to be the case. I talked to another neighbor today and they told me that they saw her moving out a few weeks ago so unless she's laying dead at her new address (which I doubt), there simply is no excuse for this. Needless to say, my phone calls to her have never been returned and eventhough she moved, her phone number is the same and still has her voicemail message. At this point, I almost hope she doesn't call. We are hoping he will pull through in which case he will be coming to live with us. If he doesn't make it, we will place him next to our sweet Stripey who we lost last Spring. (Eventhough I have little experience w/cats, my husband had the Stripey cat when we got married). It's so ironic, Stripey & Humphrey were "rivals", now it looks like they will be rivals once again.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his little heart.
Come on Humphrey, you just have to get better.
You have a nice, warm, loving home just waiting for you.