Begs like a dog!

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new kitty, Bella, begs worse than my dog. Seriously. It doesn't matter what I'm eating, she hovers, meows and tries to get my food. The moment I open the fridge or pantry, she's right there, begging.

She was picked up as a stray, so I imagine she ate whatever she could find to survive on the streets, bless her heart.

She gets plenty of cat food (dry and wet) at my house. Will she ever quit begging for people food? We NEVER give her people food, despite the constant begging.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver begs like my dog too... he's at the fridge more than she is haha... also begs for his cookies - he goes over and paws the baskets that have the kitty cookies in them... he also knows sign language for cookie and food (among other signs) and all you gotta do is show him the sign and he's right where the cookies or food comes from... he's always had the need to sniff your plate and puts his paw on the edge if he wants something you've got... he nearly stole my steak last week, haha... I never used to share my food with him (I'm usually bombarded by the dog, lol) but now if I'm having un-spiced/treated meat, I'll give him a bit

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all beg too, some worse than others. If you don't reward the behavior, she may eventually give up and go on about her business.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isaac loves the milk at the bottom of my bedtime bowl of cereal and as soon as he hears the spoon in the bowl he's there. If I sit back on the couch, he rubs into the bowl so much he tips it. Now, I'm in a position so he can't do that so he begs up on his back legs and talks to me until I'm done and he's got his 'fix'. So cute!!

ammity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was going to make the exact same post...
my little one paws at my face to get the food, tries to get it off the plate and licks my fingers

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's always the possibility she has a tapeworm.

When I brought my cat home, he was so ravenous all the time, I'd have to put him into another room while I ate or he'd take the food from my mouth as it was going in.

Turned out he had a tapeworm.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

One of mine is such a begger, she sits up on her hind legs and begs like a dog
My cats get funny, its so funny though because with me they sit they beg but they dont get to close, when someone else in the house is eating they go jump on the table, on them and such, they will steal ur food

My cats are getting better at not begging me for food, Willie is so laid back he doesn't care unless its something he really likes
then hell watch u like a hawk and occasionally walk up and get a piece off of ur plate with out u looking
Now Tessa on the other hand will sit there and hit ur back while ur eating at the table
But Stormie, Blue, and Bella are excellent with me and my food just not when it comes to my dad or mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

There's always the possibility she has a tapeworm.
If it was a tapeworm, she wouldn't poop very much, right? She pees and poops A LOT - at least twice as much as Marley and they eat the same amount. They still have separate litter boxes and I don't think they ever share.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beg? My cat just takes. I used a water bottle for the longest time to stop this.
Ignoring did nothing.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snuggy's mom

If it was a tapeworm, she wouldn't poop very much, right? She pees and poops A LOT - at least twice as much as Marley and they eat the same amount. They still have separate litter boxes and I don't think they ever share.
Has she had a recent check-up?

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Has she had a recent check-up?
I'm taking her in next week. She has other issues, too. She's been with us for a month now and still growls non-stop at my other cat and dog and they never bother her. They are afraid of her.

I'm beginning to think she isn't spayed. The shelter said she was, but they also said she was "great with other cats and dogs". Whatever! They lied! I did introductions by the book and very slowly. She still sleeps in her "safe room" (for everyone else's safety). She hasn't bitten, but she growls and hisses.

Maybe the vet can help with her behavior. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make her happy and healthy. I have a lot of patience.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cat had diarrhea when he had the tapeworm.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm taking her in next week. She has other issues, too. She's been with us for a month now and still growls non-stop at my other cat and dog and they never bother her. They are afraid of her.

I'm beginning to think she isn't spayed. The shelter said she was, but they also said she was "great with other cats and dogs". Whatever! They lied! I did introductions by the book and very slowly. She still sleeps in her "safe room" (for everyone else's safety). She hasn't bitten, but she growls and hisses.

Maybe the vet can help with her behavior. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make her happy and healthy.
You sound very caring, glad she has a good home now.

Just a thought, she might have a health issue that is making her act out behavior wise. Many times that is the only way they have to express illness or discomfort. Update us after the vet visit. I am interested to know how she is doing. I hope for the best.

You also might want to check into the diffuser. This forum is a wealth of great information when it comes to behavior problems. There are all sorts of ways to help your kitty, and also of course time. How long have you had the cat? What type of dog do you have?

I got lucky I guess, my cat is the opposite, way too friendly and overbearing towards every creature in the house, the vet, etc.

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

How long have you had the cat? What type of dog do you have?
We've had Bella for a month now. My dog is a large mixed-breed (rescue). He is sweet, rarely barks and gives Bella plenty of space. He's scared of her.

I'm thinking she is just naturally defensive after having lived on the streets. She's probably still a little fearful and so she "plays tough".

I'll let you know what the vet says next week.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
squishy never really begs for food. Every once in a while we will offer her a nibble of something but most of the time she will sniff it and turn it down. when we got her at 8 wks. whenever we would eat she would jump on the couch and we would set her on the floor and tell her no we are eating and after about a week all we had to do was say the word eating and she pretty much will ignore us now while we eat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have many rules for the kitties in my house, but begging for food is one thing I absolutely will not tolerate
Some catch on quickly, others take a little more reinforcement

I usually eat at my computer desk or on the couch at the coffee table and what I do is repeatedly push them away or remove them from the area (pick up and put down) all the while saying no in a very firm voice. Apollo and Perseus (my little boys, go figure
) keep forgetting
and when I first got Electra, I swear I did the pick, put down like 75 times in a row. She finally got the hint

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that whenever I use to feed my babies enfamil (nutramagin) because my kids had health issues, the cats would litteraly steal the bottle out of their mouths!! I finally gave in and started putting some down on the floor for them. After a while they got over it and havn't begged for formula much since then. Eek is little and he does steal the occasional noodle off your plate! But at this point its still cute... lol

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have another cat who, every time I take any food out of the refrigerator or cupboard, gets all excited like it's the dream food he's been waiting for all his life. So he goes and jumps onto the arm of my chair and waits for me to sit down. Then I let him sniff the food, which 99% of the time makes him realize he doesn't want it and his dream food's still out there...somewhere...