Aggressive towards kids

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have this probelem with my Skye. She is a well socialized kitty. Even to total strangers. Yet whenever my roommate has his children (3 & 2) over she gets really edgy. She hisses, bites and tries to scratch them even if they are simply walking by. Is there some reason she could be doing this to only them. I try to remind them to be extra nice to her and not to startle her but she still hates them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just like that. Twitch always beats up on kids if they're at our house because she's a crabby cat(got no teeth or claws, so no damage done). Ophelia will flat out try to kill them. I mean, no kids anywhere near her....she will do severe damage.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The obvious question is, is it possible that they were ever "mean" to her (in the cat perception sense if not in actuality), so that now she associates them with bad things?

Babies make lots of sudden, awkward movements, and they can be quite loud. Many cats don't deal well in that sort of environment.

Can the kids maybe use a wand-type toy to play with Skye? This way she can have fun in their presence while still leaving enough space for her to be comfortable, and for teh kids to not risk getting bit or scratched. Having them feed her a treat or two (or you giving Skye treats while they're nearby) might also help.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Twitch always beats up on kids if they're at our house because she's a crabby cat(got no teeth or claws, so no damage done).
So she's gumming and boxing kids around?

It's normal. If you were a cat you'd likely find these strange not quite properly shaped, often covered in odd smells, and very loud creatures to be offensive and frightening too.

Does Skye mind older children? Such as the 9-14 age group that can calm down and not be so grabby?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does Skye mind older children? Such as the 9-14 age group that can calm down and not be so grabby?
She actually loves my brother who's 14.
The kids try to play with her with her toys and it seems to aggravate her more. But the oddest part is that she has to know where they are at all times. So when they leave a room she follows right behind them. My roommate said that on christmas eve she actually slept in his doorway.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not so odd, she likely sees them as a threat to her territory - much like how a cat will follow a new cat around.

Since 2 and 3 years old is too young to really understand why Skye doesn't like them and she won't ignore the children, maybe it would be best to put her in your bedroom while they're visiting? It would be really awful were she to seriously scratch or bite one of them.

Make sure she's up to date on all of her shots just in case.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Since 2 and 3 years old is too young to really understand why Skye doesn't like them and she won't ignore the children, maybe it would be best to put her in your bedroom while they're visiting? It would be really awful were she to seriously scratch or bite one of them.

My cat loves kids. But that is exactly what I was going to suggest!
Better safe than sorry, if they are just visiting for a short time and you know your cat is aggressive, just put the kitty up in a safe place for that short time, that age is too young and it helps you not have to have to keep an eagle eye 100% of the time and you won't have to chance a child getting hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I try to do but sometimes they are here all day or they have to stay the night. It doesn't seem right to keep her couped up in our room for that long.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shut the door to the room they're sleeping in and let her out for a while.