6 toes on each paw?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww he wants to play! He is a polydactyl.

From Wikipedia: "sailors were long-known to especially value polydactyl cats for their extraordinary climbing and hunting abilities as an aid in controlling shipboard rodents. Some sailors also considered them to be extremely good luck when at sea"

I have never noticed that polys were more dexterious than other cats but that is one of the tales. It just makes it a bit more special - but you already knew he was

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, he sure is a poly - and oh so precious.
I am in love with him!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looooove my Poly's! My RB girl Tiger was one, and she'd grab pens and things from your hand when she wanted attention (usually durring homework time!). My parent's have another Poly now, Olivia, she doesn't seem to use her 'thumbs' like Tiger did. Bu Tiger was an unusual cat all round!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooooo - what loveable paws!!!!!!!!! I LOVE polydactyls! None of our kitties were blessed with those adorable feet - but I want to kiss those toes!

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a polydactyl in the last litter of orphaned kittens. When we first found him, I thought he had deformed feet, then realized he just had extra toes! "Elwood" was adopted to our dear friend and she tells us of all the things that he can get into that her other cats cannot. The extra toes gives him oposable thumbs. He can do things like turn knobs to open doors. We have a running joke about him that goes something like this:

Elwood is TOE-tally awesome!
Wouldn't he love to live in TOE-peka or TOE-ledo?
(you get the idea)

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Oh, I love Harley and Benji
Ya just gotta get them
Trust me, I would love to get them both. My husband would have a cow. I rescued Bella less than a month ago, and he wasn't too thrilled about that. At least Harley and Benji are with a rescue group and not in a shelter.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, Spyral)

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a sweetie!!

My RB kitty Chuckie was a poly as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's weird, he can totally paw a piece of food and feed himself from his paw. Tonight I gave him a piece of chicken from a sub I had for dinner. He snatched it from my hand and then brought it to his mouth, clutched with his thumb, and ate it from his paw! I have never seen a cat do that before. I wonder if he can open doors? lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

I wonder if he can open doors? lol
My friend's cat Elwood figured out how to turn the locking knob on the cat flap to let himself outside. If he didn't have the opposable thumb, he would not have been able to do that. The other cats would watch him do it, then tried to do it themselves in vain. My friend had to remove the flap as she only lets them outside (in her fenced yard) when she is out there with them.

So could he open doors? Probably so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can just imagine him unlocking the front door to let other cats in the apartment while I am at work. I can see it now, a dozen cats sitting on my couch watching The Animal Planet special on cats.