Aggressive Male

labronner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I need to tell you first of all that I don't have much experience with cats at all so this is practically my first experience. This past Sunday, my husband went to the Humane Society and adopted two male cats. He chose them because they were the two that seem to be the friendliest towards him. We don't know much about these cats except that they are both males, approx 5 years old, neutered and both de-clawed (they came to the humane society that way - we all view de-clawing is wrong). Anyway, separately they are very loving, sweet cats. The problem is the smaller of the two cats is extremely hateful towards the other cat and has launched "surprise" attacks on him several times in the last few days. The other cat, though twice as big, is very "shy" and usually just runs away. When this happens, we've been putting the "bully" cat in our bedroom while the other cat remains in the rest of the house but we know we can't continue this way forever. We then try to bring him back out and as long as we watch him (24/7), he leaves the other cat alone but the minute our backs are turned, he's at it again.

My husband is ready to take the "bully" back to the shelter because he's making the other cat's life a living *ell. But, we really don't want to do that as, like I said before, he is a very loving cat - but only to people. Any suggestions would be more than welcomed.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I say give them more time. They will most likely work it out. Cats behave like this. Other people here will have great advice I'm sure. Good luck.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the cats know one another at the shelter? If not, you may need an introduction phase. Search the forums under "introductions" and you will find some wonderful tips. Two strange cats coming together will usually have issues with one another but with intros, you can most often resolve these.

As a quick thing to do, you can place a dab of vanilla extract on the head of each cat and at the base of their tales. That way they smell alike to one another.

Declawed cats may have their own special needs as well. Sometimes, they will exhibit behavioral problems due to the declawing. I believe these can be worked out but they need lots of love, patience and understanding. Someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon. Please let us know how things work out for all of you

Welcome and Happy Holidays!

morning

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For sure you need to give it more time. If the big cat doesn't even fight back, maybe the other one isn't really hurting him. Maybe you stopped their interaction too soon? If he runs away, so what? They need to settle their relationship and if that involves a bit of tumbling, that is okay. Cats do wrestle a bit, and I think it's perfectly to be expected that two adults are going to challenge each other.

Perhaps they could settle their relationship and interact in an area where there's nothing delicate to knock over or sharp to fall into?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labronner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the idea's. Right now, we still have them separated but I'm not sure that is going to help in the long run. I'm starting to think that maybe it's not so much the aggressive cat's fault as much as it is the other cat who simply won't attempt to fight back at all. I know that cat's or perhaps animals in general out in the "wild" will quickly target any other animal that shows "weakness" and the describes my other cat perfectly. Even we are having a tough time bonding because he is quick to run away even you move an ounce. Since we adopted him from a shelter, there's no telling what type of abuse this poor cat has endured in his life.

I do kinda think that maybe we should just let them "fight it out" but I hate to see the "shy" one take all of that. We also had another "cat" emergency on yesterday(involving a cat evidently abandoned by one of our neighbors) which I'll post under a different thread. Anyway, that took our focus away from working with our two new guys.

morning

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by labronner

I do kinda think that maybe we should just let them "fight it out" but I hate to see the "shy" one take all of that.
Since he has a weight advantage, he may surprise the other one, or himself, if he dares a swat. I think he deserves the chance.

I would be tempted to hold the big one and soothe him and then get near the other one and pet the other one while holding the big one. Then let each smell your hand, but don't let them attack it. Prevent with your voice, "No" if one starts to react. It might take a few tries and it might not help at all, but I'd try mediating that way.