Dog liver treats: safe for cats?

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always keep cooked chicken livers in the freezer on hand since Niko will do ANYTHING for one little piece. It's extremely useful when I need to get him into his carrier or as an after grooming/clipping treat. I've been wanting to try some freeze dried liver treats as they're easier to store and just grab instead of having to thaw them out first. I came across these Beefeaters Freeze-Dried Liver Treats for Dogs on PetSmart's website and was wondering if they would be safe for cats.

Their website states:
Ingredients: 100% Freeze Dried Chicken Liver.

No additives, no preservatives, no artificial flavoring. Made in the USA.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 60.0%
Crude Fat (min) 11.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.0%
Moisture (max) 6.0%
Ash (max) 6.0%.
If they are just liver, with nothing else added, I can't see why it wouldn't be the same as a liver treat marketed towards cats. Obviously, they're bigger than kitty treats, so I'd cut them up into smaller pieces, so their feeding recommendations would be lowered significantly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they should be fine just ensure to make them cat sized

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get dog treat liver and chicken pieces (100% liver/chicken as above) they won't eat regular cat treats.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its nice to know that no one elses cats like kitty treats either! *phew* I thought mine were just nuts! I didn't know it was okay to feed my kitties those so I didn't try them even though when wilson has them they always want some so THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say they are safe if you cut them up. I know that Charlie likes to steal (if he can) Keno's soft treats and it hasn't hurt him. As long as its only a bite or two, that should be ok.

Liver is rich, so you don't want to give too many at a time
Charlie likes the Kitty Greenies - he gets one or two about twice a week.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be fine - Grandma Lucy's makes a dehydrated chicken liver treat that is just chicken liver. I wouldn't let them make a meal of it, but as an occasional treat, alix says "yummo!"

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Its nice to know that no one elses cats like kitty treats either! *phew* I thought mine were just nuts! I didn't know it was okay to feed my kitties those so I didn't try them even though when wilson has them they always want some so THANKS FOR THE TIP!!
sorry...but we think you just haven't tried the right treats...the kind that is just delicious protein and nothing else

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had fed Freeze dried liver to my cats in the past and they loved it.

What I am wondering is, is this liver cooked or is freeze dried raw?

Nature's Variety offers there frozen raw products freeze dried now, since it is a little more balanced and marketed as food, it might be better for cats.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...8204Ilx3BB8781