Wouldn't ya just know it!! My dumb luck!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am cooking dinner for the first time for my boyfriend's family. We're supposed to be there for Christmas in 1 1/2 hours. Had the ham in the oven--good. Had the sweet potato casserole made up, stuck in the oven--good. Heard some big huge crazy racket, the BF saying, what the *beep*? Holy *beep*! Oh *beeping*no!
So, curiosity set in and I ran to the kitchen and my oven was on fire! Yep, whole element burned out on us. We had to trip the breaker b/c it just kept on going even tho it was turned off. Now I'm scared to leave the house for all this Christmas stuff.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! That's scarey! I'd be afraid to leave too, even if the power was turned off.

Several years ago my friend invited me to her house for dinner. She was supposed to be making the turkey, and some of the side dishes, and I was supposed to be making the dessert and some more side dishes.

Her oven broke the day before Christmas Eve. The inside elements and 2 burners! She she drove to my house before work on Christmas Eve and dropped off the Turkey and ingredients for whatever she was supposed to be making. I gave her ingredients for salads and a no bake dessert that I was going to make.

The next day I woke up early and stuffed the turkey and put it in the oven, did a bunch of side dishes. She did the potatoes at her house. Then she picked me up in the afternoon on Christmas and we carted hot food across town to have dinner. We should have just had it at my house since the bulk of the food was there, hehe

I hope your home is going to be ok and that there is nothing smoldering where you can't see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't end there. I just started separating gifts from under the tree and half the presents were wet or had been wet--I guess from over-watering the tree.
And the SO wonders why I'm not in a good mood.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, now,now!
Just unplug your stove and it will be fine!
It's Christmas and you don't want to be in a bad mood! Finish cooking it at their house!
They'll understand!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Well, it doesn't end there. I just started separating gifts from under the tree and half the presents were wet or had been wet--I guess from over-watering the tree.
And the SO wonders why I'm not in a good mood.
It's just water!!
It'll dry!!
Ho, ho, ho!! Santa's coming to town!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It actually could be worse.
Last year we were at my brother's and were just getting to sit down for our meal. The turkey and most of the food was already out of the oven and a few things were in there reheating. All of a sudden the oven starts sparking and black smoke starts pouring out. It stopped, but half of the house lost power. We ate our meal (some of which was lukewarm) and opened gifts by candlelight.
We normally play cards after opening gifts and were playing those by candlelight also.

One year I had my mother-in-law over for mother's day and set the food on fire. Excellent impression to make on my mother-in-law.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope things are better now.

Originally Posted by AbbysMom

One year I had my mother-in-law over for mother's day and set the food on fire. Excellent impression to make on my mother-in-law.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It actually could be worse.
Last year we were at my brother's and were just getting to sit down for our meal. The turkey and most of the food was already out of the oven and a few things were in there reheating. All of a sudden the oven starts sparking and black smoke starts pouring out. It stopped, but half of the house lost power. We ate our meal (some of which was lukewarm) and opened gifts by candlelight.
We normally play cards after opening gifts and were playing those by candlelight also.

LOL, that's what I love about this place. No matter what you do, someone's done it worse!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok--it all got cooked at the dad's house and the worst thing to happen over there was that I stepped on their dog that was in the kitchen floor
. But I gave her the ham bone (with lots of ham and fat on it) and she forgave me.

Thanks for the support. Supper was delish--but I might be partial

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Ok--it all got cooked at the dad's house and the worst thing to happen over there was that I stepped on their dog that was in the kitchen floor
. But I gave her the ham bone (with lots of ham and fat on it) and she forgave me.

Thanks for the support. Supper was delish--but I might be partial
Glad you got things worked out. I actually wonder sometimes if dogs don't deliberately position themselves so that you'll step on them and give them something really yummy to make up for it.

Sorry about the stove. That happened to us on 9/11. We were watching the news coverage, and I decided to make a quick dinner. When I turned on the oven, it went pfffft and burst into flames. Couldn't even get upset about it, for obvious reasons.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Glad you got things worked out. I actually wonder sometimes if dogs don't deliberately position themselves so that you'll step on them and give them something really yummy to make up for it.
and most definitely cats too! I wonder why they think if they trip me and break my neck, then I'll be inclined to give them a treat...

Glad your dinner worked out!