Grooming his belly

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now Chestnut really does not like to be groomed, but I've been able to get to his body every day with out too much fuss.... but I can't get to his belly, where he really needs a good brushing. He doesnt like his belly to be touched at all. Any suggestions?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming this is a longhair. They tend to be pretty sensitive on the tummy as it probably hurts a little more when combing (brushes don't do anything on a longhair).

So you almost need 2 people - one to hold the cat on the back, the other to gently start combing till its all combed out and no tangles. Once that is done, then its a lot easier to get them trained to more/less stand on 2 feet and you hold the top part of the cat and comb the tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay.... whats te differance between a comb and a brush, I have 3 different grooming impliments.... all supposedly good for long hairs, only one I can get close to him with

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Combs are usually fine, medium and wide toothed steels combs. If you use a normal "brush" on them without the "teeth" it won't get to the skin. You either need a regular metal grooming comb (fine and medium are best) or one of the brushes with longer teeth.

Furminator brush has little teeth in them that groom. Maybe one of them would work.

Now if your cat has mats/tangles, then you might need to get a detangler comb to use first.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you get your kitty to like getting groomed at all? If i even get close to her with a brush or comb she freaks out. I have tried everything i can think of but to no avail. She is a long hair but she grooms herself quite well and does not have matted hair. But she does shed alot now that her hair is getting longer. Any suggestions?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Chestnut to let me groom him by lavishing him with treats when I wanted to to groom him and never calling him over to groom him, I go to him. I've also gone through 4 brushes until I found one he would tolerate. I found that the first few times all I was able to do is one or two stokes, now I can do his entire body and only have to give him treats to do his belly, which is still a work in progress.

I hope this helps!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can give that a try, she loves her treats so it is a definate possibility, also she just came in heat yesterday for the first time i think, you touch anywhere near her tail she hunches down and freezes til you quit touching her. lol with the treats and the new found heat cycle it might work.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The belly is always tricky. It sounds like you're doing a good job though. I Use short strokes with a comb on my cats bellies. Combs do a much better job at getting all the dead hair out (which is what causes matts). I start at the top and work my way in toward their skin. Just keep bribing him with treats and hopefully it will get easier for you!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

I can give that a try, she loves her treats so it is a definate possibility, also she just came in heat yesterday for the first time i think, you touch anywhere near her tail she hunches down and freezes til you quit touching her. lol with the treats and the new found heat cycle it might work.
Please have your cat spayed (unless you are a professional breeder of purebreds).

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Combs do a much better job at getting all the dead hair out (which is what causes matts).
He won't let me NEAR him with the comb... he sees it and RUNS... I really wish they knew what was good for them!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update i have been trying what you said and squishy actually will allow me to use the brush on all of her back an most of her sides and even behind her ears now. i am so excited i hope she continues to allow me to brush for longer and longer. the last brushing lasted about 2 minutes way better than the usual 2 seconds if i am lucky

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like that. Is the cat a long or short hair? If long you should be using a comb, not a brush. It could be that the coat is tangled. If so, you might need two people - one to hold on the back and one to groom. Otherwise if its not too tangled, then grab your cat by the shoulders/front feet and make him stand on the back and groom the belly.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried that, still doesn't work well. I'm going to try finding a treat that he will eat (he's super picky) that is only for grooming time, and see if that works.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the beginning, Niko wouldn't let me brush him at all. I tried treats and attempting to catch him napping, but neither worked. What did work was if I kept him occupied with a toy on a stick, I could brush him and he wouldn't protest. Now, he'll actually purr and shift positions (sometimes, not every time) when he feels I should start on the other side.
I'm able to get his belly, as well, if I dangle the toy above him so he'll roll on his back.