Found Money

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read this article on MSN Money.
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/sm...ick-it-up.aspx

Where do you stand on picking up change, bills? If you do, what do you do with it?

I don't do pennies but will usually pick up nickles, dimes, quarters - definitely pick up paper money
This article has me rethinking the penny thing, though. I am about as financially savvy as a rock, so every little bit helps

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
money is money. it all spends the same whether it is earned or found. I collect pennies so I pick them up. For that matter, I collect nickles, dimes, quarters and everything else (the difference is that I don't spend the pennies). My dad will walk out into the middle of a busy intersection to pick up a penny. He walks a lot and he averages like $3 a week in found money. He has three 5gal carboys full of pennies.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents are big on 'found money'! They collect every coin they find on the ground. Mom and Dad actually keep track who is ahead in $ amount! Mom was WAY ahead of Dad last year. At Christmas, she found a $50 bill in the snow pile that they had plowed off the parking lot at the mall.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am walking and I find paper, silver, or heck anymore I pick it up. I have never found more than a quater tho.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once found a $20 in a bin at the grocery store and just this last year, I found a $20 on the ground. I always pick up nickels, dimes and quarters. I usually ignore the pennies.

This year though, I plan on putting all found coins/folding money in a jar and see how much I have after a year. Maybe every 3-4 months, I will cash it in and put in a savings account.

I don't know if I will be able to do that, but I will try... lol

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always pick up anything I see. John also leaves change lying around or in his work pants. I've started taking all the loose change and putting it in a jar... I've got well over $60 so far!

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8 weeks ago I found a zip-lock bag with $700.50 in it. It was next to the dumpster in my apartment complex. I took it home and had a huge moral dilemma over what to do with it. I actually posted a sign by the mailboxes stating I had found something and if you lost it, you could email me exactly what you lost and if it matches up, I will return it. No one responded. I also told the apartment management about it. They said if any one inquired they would let me know. It has been over almost 2 months and nothing. So, I called the police a few weeks back. They told me that it was basically found money and to keep it. It is still in the zip-lock bag, in my desk drawer. I suspect I will spend it eventually.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so funny, I was just going to start this very thread as I had just read the article.

I never used to pick up pennies, but a friend of mine always did. I asked him about it once because it's not like he needed that money. He said that he respects money, and so picks it up. It also makes him crazy when women put their purses on the ground. He feels like if you disrespect money, you won't draw it to you. From hanging around with him, I got in the habit of picking up money. Now I can't not pick it up...last night I found a quarter!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

8 weeks ago I found a zip-lock bag with $700.50 in it. It was next to the dumpster in my apartment complex. I took it home and had a huge moral dilemma over what to do with it. I actually posted a sign by the mailboxes stating I had found something and if you lost it, you could email me exactly what you lost and if it matches up, I will return it. No one responded. I also told the apartment management about it. They said if any one inquired they would let me know. It has been over almost 2 months and nothing. So, I called the police a few weeks back. They told me that it was basically found money and to keep it. It is still in the zip-lock bag, in my desk drawer. I suspect I will spend it eventually.
Wow...that's alot of $$$ for somebody not to claim it after all this time. You'd think they'd miss it! But if it was by a dumpster, maybe it was mistakenly thrown out and won't be missed for a looong time.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The largest amount of money I found was a $20 under one of the tables in the restaurant I was working at. I was getting ready to seat two guys at the table and I saw it and made an excuse to pick up trash under the table.
I needed it more than they did and I had gotten stiffed earlier that night anyway after being told I would be left a tip. Of course had the rightful owner been able to tell me how much and where he sat, I would have returned it, but no one ever came back to check.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually pick up small change. I'd say if it's a quarter or paper money then i'd pick it up. I'm too lazy to bend down to pick up small change. Sometimes I even accidentally will drop change out of my wallet and won't bother to pick it up.
Although if I'm walking along and see a penny that's heads up, I do pick them up, I'm a bit superstitious and have always thought they are good luck

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

Thats alot of money!!! I would think someone would be missing it!!!
I dont ever pick up pennies, but will pick up anything else!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually pick up any money, pennies, too. Now I have gotten to where it is hard for me to bend over, (Rheumatiod arthritis) so sometimes I pass on pennies, but nothing else.