My brother gave me a starving cat for christmas...

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He found her on his doorstep. Was trying to ignore her, but my nephews became very worried about the kitty crying outside. So, he called me. I don't know what to do with her. :p Aside from getting her to the vet tomorrow, I need some suggestions. She's currently locked in my bathroom with her own food, water and litter. The other cats in the house aren't happy about it. I gave her a quarter cup of dry wellness, and she scarfed that down. I think I'd like to give her some wet food, but am unsure of which; I have wellness turkey, innova, and one of my cats is on prescription diet c/d with seafood. Any suggestions?

Also, she's had one bowel movement, very difficult for her. It seemed...dry to me. I'm sure that is not good. Should I give her some laxatone? Or try for emergency vet services? She seems healthy enough, aside from being skin and bones, and the above mentioned bowel issue.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old do you think is the kitty?
Can you touch her? Lift a little fur of the neck between your fingers and let it down again. If this needs longer than 1 second she is dehydrated and needs fluid. Give her any wet food, no dry food, and maybe a little milk with water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've no idea how old she might be; I'm guessing young, 5 months to maybe a year old? But that is only because there is no weight to her. She is very friendly, very willing to let you hold her and pet her. If it weren't for her being so skinny, I'd think she was someone's pet. But she has to have been on her own for a while now. It breaks my heart to touch her. She is just so thin. Is it possible to feed her too much? She's inhaling every bite I give her. I think she may be dehydrated; sort of hard for me to tell, but the skin test seems to suggest it.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, give wet food and fresh water. Poor little thing isn't sure where her next meal is coming from so eats all she can at once. She may have worms as well. Thanks for taking this little one in. You know we'll want photos

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don´t think you can feed her too much, but she should eat slowly...poor little kitty! Maybe she was cought in a cellar or a garage?

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know where she came from. She's stopped eating now. Seems very tired. She was meowing enough to give me a headache, but now she's just laying on her towel, watching the door. Here are a couple of pictures. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully we can get to the vet tomorrow and have her on the road to good health.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dear little thing. I hope you can nurse her back. I would guess that she is older than 5 months.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my heart! What a precious little girl
She is probably tired and more than a bit anxious. I am sure she will settle down when she realizes she is safe. Do you have something big and fluffy she can snugge down in - maybe towels or a blanket in a box or a basket? She is just beautiful. Sending lots of vibes and prayers

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Do you have something big and fluffy she can snugge down in - maybe towels or a blanket in a box or a basket?
I had an old dog bed, but I wanted to wash the cover to it. When I pulled that off, part of the rest of the bed came off.
I'll glue it back on tomorrow, after I buy some glue. Now all I have are a couple of towels. I do wish I had a little more. Maybe I'll go dig around in the closet, and perhaps find something there.

I do think she's older than 5 months. I'm just not sure how much older. Hopefully the vet will be able to give me a better idea.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank god for your compassion! Check the little one for a chip at the vets - also, to feed her - baby food is always a good bet. Lots of moisture, pure protein and easy to digest. One jar is about right for a meal. Cats love the stuff...turkey or chicken with NO additives or garlic or seasoning. Just make sure to read the ingreidents to make sure its just puree of chicken with a little corn starch ...

Next, good food for calories - you get this at the vets - Hill Science AD formula. V. v. rich but also light and moussey in texture, cats will eat
this when at deaths door or will not otherwise eat.

Feed her in the mean time Purina Kitten chow, for the extra calories - to get her weight back up. Till the vet gives you stuff.

Contact ALL local rescues, call shelters within 3 county radius (cat could have travelled far) and also, put up flyers. That's the most important IMHO.
Flyers.

do a door to door with nearby neighbors also to see if someone could havemoved away and left, or she got out and got lost.

Poor baby. Looks totally sweet!!

Merry Xmas to you, and my hopes your good act is rewarded!

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise opilot! I wouldn't have thought to have her checked for a chip; strange, considering mine are chipped. I'll be sure to do that. The rest all sounds good as well. I've already gotten a flyer made; I didn't think about contacting shelters though. I know there are a lot of smaller shelters in the area; boy, this little girl is going to end up being a lot of work, I think.

Tell me; I'm a little worried about just turning her over to someone, assuming someone actually calls on her. Would there be a problem with charging a return fee? I'm thinking she's going to cost a bit at the vets tomorrow as I need to have her fully checked over before I can even think about letting her loose around the other cats; I wouldn't ask for all of that, but say... somewhere between $25 and $35 dollars maybe?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I dont think there would be anything wrong with you charging a return fee...seeing as how obviously she was someones cant and that the proper care wasnt taken which is why she is in the shape she is in now. Sending lots of your way that all is with with your little bundle of joy

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where in Michigan are you? We (rescue group) could possibly help.

Yes, make sure she gets lots of moist food and plenty of water. A dry BM may mean she is dehydrated... also, as someone else suggested, try checking her skin. If it "tents' - takes more than a second to slide back into place she is dehydrated. The longer it takes the worse the problem is and can also affect her kidneys, just like with people.

Small, frequent meals. If she was starving, gulping down large quantities of food could cause BIG problems.

AB

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's eaten 1/4 cup of dry cat food, and aprox. 6 ounces of canned food so far. I think she is dehydrated, but she has no interest in drinking from the water bowl I provided.

I'm between Holland and South Haven. I certainly wouldn't mind some help. If nothing else, advise is appreciated.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea to charge a "return" fee. this keeps the dishonest from getting the cat - I'd charge 65 - that would make ONLY the true owner who loves this kitty pay up. and IMHO she might need care - it sounds like a spay netuer and/or some good food at the leasts. If she is very dehydrated they
might give her an IV for fluids.

anyway, the baby food (Gerber no. 2 food, turkey, chicken or ham) works
the best I know. It has lots of moisture too... so it hydrates. And I've NEVER met a cat that turned its nose up at baby food.

In fact got one now who comes running when he hears the crinkle of a baby food jar wrapper being unwraped to be opened! Go figure, LOL. Looks at me and eats it like its heavenly stuff!!

Good luck. and do try the shelters AND rescues.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jeamy

She's eaten 1/4 cup of dry cat food, and aprox. 6 ounces of canned food so far. I think she is dehydrated, but she has no interest in drinking from the water bowl I provided.

I'm between Holland and South Haven. I certainly wouldn't mind some help. If nothing else, advise is appreciated.
Ah, I am in the Detroit area. Too far. You said you were going to take her to a vet? Good idea. Let them know she was a stray and maybe they will cut you a deal pricewise.

I don't know any west Michigan rescue groups. But check around - K-Zoo and GR, too. Try Petfinder. Can you foster in place if an organization gives you financial support or is it too tough b/c of your other cats?

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Ah, I am in the Detroit area. Too far. You said you were going to take her to a vet? Good idea. Let them know she was a stray and maybe they will cut you a deal pricewise.

I don't know any west Michigan rescue groups. But check around - K-Zoo and GR, too. Try Petfinder. Can you foster in place if an organization gives you financial support or is it too tough b/c of your other cats?
Oh, yes, too far. I'll try calling the local places; I know of a couple, and yes, was looking at petfinder for more. There are lots. I don't know what it's been like elsewhere, but I know at least a month ago there were way too many cats looking for homes. The largest group in the area had even cut there adoption fees by 30% trying to get cats in homes. I went there with my mom when she was looking for her dog. It was so sad. They had more cats than they could handle.

I don't know how my own cats will react; right now they aren't happy. I had to go looking in all the hidey holes to find my shy girl to feed her last night, though once I pulled her out she stayed out. And my favorite boy spent the night running in and out of my bedroom in a state of anxiety, mewing and trying to make me pet him. My eldest is just ignoring the entire situation, and my last boy just walks by the door hissing at it once and a while. I remember going through this when I brought my youngest cat home 3 years ago; it all worked out then, just needed a lot of patience. And I'm off work all this week, so I can monitor things, which will be nice.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good, Jamie. Same deal here on the eastern side of the state. We are over run with cats. Our rescue gets 10-15 calls a day from people about off-loading cats, strays, unwanted litters, you name it. Some of it is the economy here and some of it -as always - can be pinned on irresponsibility.

Good luck and post back when you get a minute.

Merry Christmas.

Adrien

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, all things considered, vet check went well.
She was horribly dehydrated and needed SubQ's to rehydrate. Vet gave her a body score of 2, and says that, judging by the fecal sample she's been eating sand and plant matter to try and get by. And she has a terrible flea infestation, which she has now been treated for with a Capstar pill, and Advantage. Other than that though, she's healthy. Blood work all came back negative for viruses, and negative for worms. The vet puts her at between a year or two in age. Forgot to ask him if she's been spayed though. I'll have to do that next visit.

He also guesses that she's been on her own for quite some time now, judging from her condition. She is so friendly though, I can't really imagine anyone turning her loose. I've put up some flyers at the vet's office and the local supermarket; need to head out and around a little more today and put up more. Trouble is, the longer I have her, the less I feel like giving her up.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww.... you are such an angel for taking in this kitty!

Eating sand and plants to get by? POOR BABY!

They can shave her to see if she's been spayed. Did you remember to ask them to check for a microchip?

Also, if you want to search for rescue groups in your area, http://www.pets911.com is an excellent place to start. ....though.... I have a feeling you may have a sixth kitty now if no one calls to thank you for rescuing her!

OH! I don't know where in your home you kept her, but it might be a really good idea to grab some flea collars from the supermarket, cut them up and put them in your vacuum cleaner bag or canister and give a really thorough vacuum. The collars can kill cats - but they're also great at killing fleas and eggs that may now be on your floor or carpet.

What are you going to call her?

Laurie