How many of you are getting tired of ...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
colored Christmas lights?!!?
Our neighborhood looks like "Six Flags Over Pennsylvania", with all of the stuff on the lawns, the flashing colored lights, etc. We all have tiny front lawns in this area, yet people have giant, inflatable snowmen, Santas, carousels, etc. AND the lighted reindeer, AND other big figurals! Enough is enough, people! (Wonder what their electric bills will be?) As I get older, those clear mini-lights are starting to look even better to me. I like the houses that only have the clear lights, and the fake candles in the windows, and some greenery. We have almost nothing outside, partly because I'm lazy. Yesterday, I found 2 Alpine (fake) trees at the Goodwill, 50% off. They are about 6ft and 5 ft tall. And $3.50 and $3.00 each! I put the taller one on my porch, and strung clear lights on it. I also will decorate "Rosie" (short for Rosencranz), my Victorian dog statue I always keep on the porch. He gets a red satin cape, and a white half-mask for Halloween, too. I may put a Santa hat on him, or, as in past years, put a greenery wreath around his neck. Actually, he's not antique, but modern polyresin, and bought at a grocery store for $24.95!

Inside, I put the shorter Alpine tree on the upstairs landing, and put clear lights on it. Downstairs, I have a real tree, again with white lights, but some onrnaments. In the foyer, I put a small, fake tree, with clear lights on a plaster pedestal (that thing has been dragged around to 3 houses!). I have the twin tree in the family room, on a large, round table, which the cats seem to think was put there for them as a sort of duck blind (in order to observe the birds outside, through the French doors). I also have tiny fake trees in both 1 bathroom and the master bedroom (no lights, but an ivory-colored velvet ribbon as a tree-topper. The trees are only about 18" tall, and tiny.)

I'm starting to like the faux trees without the ornaments more and more each year. I have little patience when decorating a tree, and the cats only take the ornaments off anyway. At night, when the trees are lit, and the lights are low, it really looks pretty. It's kind of subtle, not in your face.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I miss some color myself. In my neighborhood, everyone has clear and white lights. Its majestic looking when you drive by it all, but I need some color, red at least, but I usually have the white and clear lights, too

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the color, but I think white looks classier.
The one problem I do have is the people who seem to run out of one color lights halfway through.
We have one of those on our street.
One little corner of the house is red then about 10 or 15 feet is green, then a couple of strings of colored...the colored ones blink, the red and green ones don't.
Two windows are white, one is the blinking colored and the rest are blue!
In the front yard there's an inflatable snow globe thingy and a Navity scene, but the part that I really don't get is that Frosty the Snowman is standing in the manger right behind Baby Jesus.
Last but not least Santa and the reindeer are on the roof.

I mean come on people, pick a color/theme and stick with it.
Frankly, it looks like a circus came to town over there.

The guy that lives behind them told Mason yesterday that they also have a big star on their back porch...not so bad in itself, but he said it flashes for a little while then the lights go around in a circle...he told Mason it's enough to give a person a seziure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I guess I should've have phrased my post differently, I'm sorry. Whay I SHOULD have said:

I prefer the white lights, but like colored ones if they all match, and look coordinated in some way. The ones I've seen here mostly are just haphazardly strung, draped, etc., and there's no theme going on--just random stuff crowding the lawns. When I said, "Inflatable Santas, snowmen, etc.:, I meant all on ONE lawn! And, we have tiny, tiny lawns here.

When I had a stiff neck last week, it reminded me of my neighbor's mechanical reindeer, which s-l-o-w-l-y turns its head to one side--just like me!
(Except that the reindeer is prettier than me!)

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I prefer the white lights, but like colored ones if they all match, and look coordinated in some way. The ones I've seen here mostly are just haphazardly strung, draped, etc., and there's no theme going on--just random stuff crowding the lawns.
Sounds like that house on my street.
We're from the same State...maybe it's a PA thing...or at least SOME people in PA.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Sounds like that house on my street.
We're from the same State...maybe it's a PA thing...or at least SOME people in PA.
It's not a PA thing... the tackiness is everywhere...

Put my vote down for all white lights. I like seeing the all-white icicle lights on houses.

When I do decorate I do all white lights and my tree is silver (yes, the tree is silver) and I do blue decorations.

Thi year I wanted to find a Grinch blow up thing for my patio (I'm in an apt). I couldn't have afforded it even if i found one... but it would have fit my mood this year.

Amanda

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm color blind, they all look brown to me..lol

just kidding..I love the colors.

Imagine living next to this

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a home in the nearby big city that packs it little city lot with light up displays. I mean every inch of yard has something on it.

I admit after seeing so many white light trimmed houses nearby, that I loved this one house. It looked like they took all their light strands, connected them, tied one end to the dog, and had the kids chased the dog around the yard. It was so chaotic I loved it!

As for me, I like the colored lights. Looks more festive to me.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

I'm color blind, they all look brown to me..lol

just kidding..I love the colors.

Imagine living next to this

Lucky for that guys' neighbors, he's moved the show to a local park because of all the traffic that moved through their neighborhood.
There's a house not far from here with a show like that, but the sound can only be heard if you tune into the right radio station.

Anyway, I like colored lights that are organized/neat, but white lights can be nice too. My mom is a queen of tacky-colored lights!
DH is thankful that I don't have the same sense of style as she does.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Christmas lights whether they are clear or coloured... it's all good! A couple of years ago I went driving around the city looking at all of the light displays. Some people even had walk through displays which are really cool! One even had a mini train that took you around their property to see all of it.

I wish I could do that every year, but I don't drive so I'm at the mercy of those who do and who invite me along to go with them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I love Christmas lights whether they are clear or coloured... it's all good! A couple of years ago I went driving around the city looking at all of the light displays. Some people even had walk through displays which are really cool! One even had a mini train that took you around their property to see all of it.

I wish I could do that every year, but I don't drive so I'm at the mercy of those who do and who invite me along to go with them.
Me too, I love them all! As long as they look nice and not sloppy

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really a fan of the gigantic blow up stuff, but I love large, chaotic Christmas displays.

My decorating theme is "as much color as possible"

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live the multi-colored lights. As kids, we associated the white lights with rich people
I like the white when it is done nicely and in the right setting. We visited a very old cabin some years ago all done up for Christmas. I can't imagine the colored lights looking good there. The white added to the overall ambience of the place.

The only thing I don't like is when people set the light speed really fast. EEK. Makes my eyeballs jiggle. I like slow blinking pretty colors

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the lights but do have to agree that there are some people who really go over the top. We have one house down at the end of my street that I swear they can probably see at the international space station it's so bright.

Right now however I am totally sick of Christmas Music, like really how many times can you hear silent night before you want to pull your hair out....

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I don't mind the color, but I think white looks classier.
White might be classier, but when you drive down a street and everyone has white lights, it just loses something. I like the color, I don't care if it's coordinated or not, it's more festive. I'm not a fan of the huge blow up things, but if that's what the family inside the house likes, it's there call. I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to care what someone else's display looks like

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like anything if it's done well...I prefer the classic look of just lights & some classy low key displays. i hate the trendy big blow up monstrosities & the overdone stuff like the cheesy wire framed figurines & spiral tree things. Ugh. They look terrible in the harsh light of day. It looks like a "tacky" bomb went off in someone's yard.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind colored lights. And I love it when I see houses that are "over decorated" for christmas. It just show's that their having fun and are in the holiday spirit. White lights look good as well, but I think variety is what keeps things interesting. If everyone had plain old white lights it would be quite boring. I love driving around and looking at everyone's displays.