or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › help!help!help! she ate something!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

help!help!help! she ate something!

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
i am freaking out right now. I had this stupid glow bracelet thingy -- you know what I mean? where it is a tube, and you bend and break it, then it starts to glow flurousent color, and you secure it around your wrist (or neck, depenidng.) and for some stupid, ill advised reason, when I went to bed, Girlfriend came to lay down with me to sleep, but i was playing with it with her.. she loved the light in the dark. then of course, she wants to bite it, and for some stupid a**ed reason I let her, and of course, duh, suddenly she bites a hole in it and the crap inside squirts out and she FREAKS out, running around trying to get it out of her mouth. so, picture this, it's all dark and you see bits of glow on a freaking-out cat. lol.. so i find her (finally) in the closet with FOAM coming out of her mouth.. more clear than opaque.. and after wiping the stuff from her mouth, she *seems* normal, that is, she wants no part of me crying and trying to open her mouth to see if something's in there.. she runs away.. now she's under the freaking couch.. it's freaking 430 in the morning.. i think i'm too completely weirded out, horrified to cry... never in my life am i asking god to please, please undo the stupid crap i just did -- til now.. i don't know what to do/think. if she doesn't die from this, who knows when she'll come out from the couch -- she tends to hide for a long time when her momma has gone haywire after her.. help.. help..! help! vet? presumably.. i think i'll see either way in the morning.. lord, will i start a campaign to outlaw those damn things if she d-i-e-s from this.. anyone have a similar issue with cats and these things??? the stupid package (dangit, got it as a gift for my neices/nephew) says "DO no ingest".. i could hurt myself for being so stupid... will let you know what happens..
post #2 of 4
You can always call Animal Poison Control run by the ASPCA. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much for the info..! i guess i'm terrible in a panic situation and needed to be talked down.. anyhoo, thinking more clearly today i did check out the APCC and found some info online, too. I'll post something here just in case someone else has a freak out like me:

"Glow Jewelry
Did You Know… Colorful plastic glow-in-the-dark jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets and even hand-held glow sticks are popular items often sold at fairs, festivals and other summer time events. While the luminescent liquid inside these products might look like it could be poisonous, the relatively small quantity of fluid generally has a low potential for toxicity.

This oily, glowing substance is called dibutyl phthalate and can be found in a wide variety of products, from plastics to insect repellents. Based on ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center experience, most animals that chew into glow jewelry can exhibit signs such as profuse drooling, hyperactivity, agitation or aggressive behavior. However, while these effects may seem serious and quite alarming to pet owners, they are typically transient (lasting only a few minutes) and are only a response to the unpleasant taste of the liquid. Generally, the only treatment needed is diluting the taste residue with a small amount of milk, tuna juice or soft pet food; if the residue is on the skin or hair coat, mild soap and water can be used to wash it off and avoid the possibility of further ingestion via grooming." (from ASPCA.corg)
post #4 of 4
sorry i wasnt on when this happened!

I knew they were non toxic and I have eaten the liquid before.
Dont ask why..... It tastes horrid though!
I can definitely see why your cat would have the reaction.

The only thing you would need to worry about is the shards of plastic of glass that are inside if the hole was big enough to let them out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › help!help!help! she ate something!