fleas

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a quick question here..

would you recommend that i use head & shoulders shampoo on my cats to get rid of fleas/keep them at bay? it's just that i've been reading on the internet, & quite alot of sites seem to recommend this being a good idea until you have some propper flea killer.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of that specifically. However, I live in an area that has no fleas. What I HAVE heard, is using Dawn in water, and dipping a very fine toothed comb into it and combing the kitty's fur. Then "swooshing" the comb in the water again. You could search the forums using the keyword Dawn, probably.

Of course that's if you've got fleas already...not to prevent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh right, thanks for that! i think they may well have fleas, as my boyfriends been bitten a couple of times. am hoping to get some treatment for them both tomorrow.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

oh right, thanks for that! i think they may well have fleas, as my boyfriends been bitten a couple of times. am hoping to get some treatment for them both tomorrow.
Whatever you do...DO NOT!!!! use Hartz or store brand. Get it from the vet. We've had members here whose cats have died using that type of flea treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks! i'll bear that in mind. i was planning on using frontline, as that's what my mum uses.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

thanks! i'll bear that in mind. i was planning on using frontline, as that's what my mum uses.
I do believe that's safe. Might want to search around the forums a bit, but that seems to me to be an ok one.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do yourself a favor though and buy it from the vet, I've heard that sometimes the frontline and advantage they sell in the stores isn't the same??

also you'll need doses specific to the weight of your kitty, if you buy it at the vet's you can be sure it's the right amount.