My coworker's cat passed away last night. She is all to pieces.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night my boss's (Kim) cat Sconic died. She adopted Sconic over a year ago as an only kitty. He was FELV + and she knew that his time would come eventually, she just wanted to give him a wonderful life and home so that even in a short life- he knew he was loved. He was a gorgeous snowshoe, just the most sweet and loving little man you've ever seen. My boss is very tender hearted and she is just having a really hard time with his passing. My heart absoluely goes out to her.

He was guessed to be about 3 yrs old when she adopted him...so since she had him for around a year, he passed on at age 4. I told her that he lived a very long, good life for being a FELV+ kitty. Many times they don't make it very long- so for him to have hung around as long as he did and to have been in such good shape prior to this week, i told her she did an amazing job with him. Sconic was her baby- she absolutely loved him to pieces. He was very bonded with her other dogs so now her dogs are going around her house looking for him

She brough Sconic in several days ago to the shelter for me to look at. He had been ok prior to this- but just overnight he stopped eating, drinking, and he began having seizures. She brought him in and I was able to give him fluids (he became severly dehydrated in a very quick span of time) and nutrical supplements to try and get his strength back up. He then began to only eat small amounts of tuna (we couldn't get him to eat his normal food/etc) for the next few days and we discussed with the shelter vet just yesterday while she was there what should be done. Her suggestion was to put him down if he began to become worse and was beyond the point of maintance therapy/keeping him comfortable.

Well, last night when my boss got home from work, she found him in the floor struggling to breath and seizing. She scooped him up and called my other coworker and I to come and meet her at the shelter to put him down because he was not doing well. By the time we pulled into the parking lot to meet her with him, he had already passed on
I am sooo sad for my boss. He was such a sweet, loving baby. She is just all to pieces over loosing him, and it makes me soo sad to see her like that.

We have saved his body in the freezer, so the next time we do a cremation ,my other coworkers and I plan to save his ashes in a nice container for our boss to do something special to help preserve his memory for her.

In the mean time though- would you guys mind sparing a few vibes for my boss Kim? She is soo kind hearted- and it is just soo upsetting that she has lost her beloved kitty in such a fast time frame. He was fine last week, and then this week, it was just all bad news. That's how FELV is though sometimes,....they can live with it for a while and be ok, then just overnight things can change. I am sad that he passed away, but at the same time i am soo greatful he had such a wonderful, loving home with her and did as well as he did for soo long. He definitely outlived the estimated life expectancy-she gave him soo much love....i'm just glad that prescious little guy passed on knowing how much his owners and even all of us shelter staff loved him.

RIP SCONIC

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, I am so sorry for Kim..may Sconic rest in peace..and I hope Kim can have some peace in her heart soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou guys...I am sure she will appreicate all of your kindness. I feel soo sad for her
I gave her a hug this morning and she just held onto me for a few minutes there and was just soo upset- i just feel soo sad for her- she just adored him soo much. i really want to help her but i'm not sure what to do to comfort her a bit. I think this week i'm going to go out and find a nice sympathy card for her and maybe make some yummy homemade treats to go with it just to maybe cheer her up just a pinch during such a rough time.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou guys...I am sure she will appreicate all of your kindness. I feel soo sad for her
I gave her a hug this morning and she just held onto me for a few minutes there and was just soo upset- i just feel soo sad for her- she just adored him soo much. i really want to help her but i'm not sure what to do to comfort her a bit. I think this week i'm going to go out and find a nice sympathy card for her and maybe make some yummy homemade treats to go with it just to maybe cheer her up just a pinch during such a rough time.
That's nice of you. It's hard to know what to do at a time like this, but the cards and gentleness all help.
to her.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this, as I said on your other thread it was a wonderful thing she did for him, but it wont help with the pain at the moment, although I hope in time she will be able to realise that she did the best thing for him, she gave him that home and love that he deserved, and that not everybody is able to do. RIP little one.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences to Kim on her sad loss of Sconic. I have been reading that cats' and humans' brains have the same emotional center, which, IMO can make that certain bond between the two even stronger than with other pets. And I know how heartwrenching seeing the other grieving pets is - when I had my daughter's thoroughbred horse put down (he was 36yo and bitten by a black widow spider), my mare gave the most heartrending whinnies - it was so painful to hear her
In fact, the only comfort she got was when I turned her loose in the yard and she grazed the lawn, in the constant companionship of my dog Tasha's and Tasha's step-kittens. Night would find the horse standing next to the dog house, with Tasha & kits inside; if I put the horse up in her corral, she would refuse to eat.
Bless you for being there for Kim.... Sconic says thank-you for it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww...... the timing couldn't have been worse.
You're so sweet for being so wonderful right now when she really needs it.

It can be really hard to be so giving sometimes. The pain of love is the hardest part.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kim. What a wonderful thing she did for Sconic, may he rest in peace.

Laurie

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor sweet baby!
It sounds like he had a wonderful last year in her loving home. She did for him what many people wouldn't have been willing to do; in her loving him inspite of his illness. She's an angel for it!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel so much for your boss. Taking Sconic in, knowing of his condition, doesn't make it any easier when that time comes. I can imagine that she feels bereft without her sweet boy, but she can feel comforted that for the time he had left she gave him a wonderful life.

Rest in peace sweet Sconic

Big hugs for your boss (even though I don't know her)
. It may be little comfort, but she only feels this deep deep sadness because her heart was filled with so much love for her lovely kitty
when this immediate sadness is over, she will carry those wonderful memories of Sconic with her always.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Sconic. I'm sure he had a very happy last year full of love. It was a beautiful thing that Kim did for him. Rest in Peace Sconic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a little while since i've updated this thread. Kim is doing a little better over the loss of Sconic. Just taking it a day at a time....she's even talking about adopting one of our shelter kitties when she feels like she's ready to.

We cremated Sconic's body and Kim ordered a beautiful little wooden memorial box for his ashes with his name engraved on it. She put it in her office with his little collar around it. It's a very beautiful way to honor his passing
She is doing better- but still very much misses her beautiful kitty.
We're just all trying to be supportive when she it.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I do hope she is finding things a bit easier, and it is good that she is considering adopting another cat at some point, i think that is always a big help.