Question about health care.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, my cat Holden is a 7 month old rag doll cat. He is a real cool guy. I want to make sure I take as good care of him as possible. The local PetSmart has a vet attached to them, it is called Banfield Pet Hospital. They have a website www.banfield.net. They offer a pet health care program I am seriously looking in to. For $21.95 a month they have a plan called "Basic Plus" http://banfield.net/health/owp_kittens.asp . This plan includes all doctor visits and includes neutering in the cost of the plan (no cost surgery) along with all shots and what not. The only cost would be prescriptions and they are 10% off regular price with the plan. Initial cost to join is $69 enrollment fee and the first monthly $21 payment. This enrollment fee also includes a doctor visit and a full battery of shots. If you look at the link, you will see the break down of the services provided. My question is, is anyone using a program like this and is it worth it? I think it is, but would like your opinions on this.

Thanks!
Tom..and Holden

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to Banfield as well. Two of my cats are/were on the health plan. Marbles passed away
but his sister, Snickers, is still on the plan. It has been a nice thing. You never know what will happen. Even though my precious Marbles passed with all our efforts and costs, the health plan helped with the costs during that horrible time. I am thinking I am going to be putting Oreo on a health plan cause she gets bladder infections and such a lot. If you can afford it then go for it. You can always cancel later if you don't think it is worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I will be bringing him in after Christmas to get set up on the plan and get his initial check up and such. I will also be scheduling him for his neutering.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The health care plan is great, but I would really watch the Banfield hospital vaccination policies. They tend to REALLY over-vaccinate, which is an especially big problem in cats.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What vaccinations should I not get? They list all of the shots in that link, Can you tell me what he does not need? He is a strictly indoor cat.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

What vaccinations should I not get? They list all of the shots in that link, Can you tell me what he does not need? He is a strictly indoor cat.
I wouldn't get either Felv, Fiv or FIP vaccinations for my cats.
They are indoor, so the chances of them getting either of those diseases are extremely small as they do not come in contact with other cats. Yet this one vet wanted to vaccinate my cat for Felv.
If rabies were not mandatory I would not get them either. The cats don't go out, how would they get rabies? but since rabies are mandatory the cats had to get them.
I mean, the risk of indoor cat getting either Felv, FIP or Fiv is very small and it could only happen if the cat somehow managed to escape and come in contact with other cats, but vets still want to vaccinate indoor cats for it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know rabies is the only REQUIRED shot over in Spokane... call animal control to find out Madatory .... where I live NONE are for cats... THou I think the Banfield here offers the 3 yr plan after kitten series , it is Spokane ... I believe FIV is NOT recommended as they test + if vaccinated..... Do you know how to do a search on here??? if so look up shots youll learn loads

I have looked at there plans and of "pet insurences " they look good ... For me It comes down to the vet ...

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rabies is required here in Seattle. They wouldn't even groom Holden without a rabies shot. So, I am going to do some shot research. I have an appointment for next week. Thanks for all the help! I need all the advice I can get. So far, he is a happy, healthy cat and I want to keep him that way!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vaccinations (rabies) are a good idea, in my opinion. Even if we plan to never let our cats out, things happen. Natural disasters, house fires and such where a cat could be out of our control just long enough to get out and be lost. There is some controvery over how often a cat should be vaccinated. I think the three year plan works.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the way he needs to be neutered ASAP before he starts spraying. Don't delay.
Adult male un-neutered cats might start spraying. Then, if they do, even neutering might not help.
It needs to be done ASAP.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Some vaccinations (rabies) are a good idea, in my opinion. Even if we plan to never let our cats out, things happen. Natural disasters, house fires and such where a cat could be out of our control just long enough to get out and be lost. There is some controvery over how often a cat should be vaccinated. I think the three year plan works.
Well, realistically, I have more of a chance getting rabies than my cats. I at least go out every day. And if the cats ever gotten out, then being hit by a car, or stolen, or starving to death would worry me more than them somehow managing to come in contact with an animal that has rabies.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

Well, realistically, I have more of a chance getting rabies than my cats. I at least go out every day. And if the cats ever gotten out, then being hit by a car, or stolen, or starving to death would worry me more than them somehow managing to come in contact with an animal that has rabies.
I understand your point of view. I simply stated mine, which of course, makes sense to me

When Katrina happened, it really made me think of what I would do in that situation and what could happen to my pets. I know the chances are slim, but things happen. So, will keep getting those shots
Rabies are required where I live, so that is a given.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

The rabies vaccination is to protect PEOPLE, not pets. The incidence of human rabies exposure has decreased exponentially since the implementation of regular vaccination of pets.

Also, if your cat bites someone and you do not have proof of a rabies vaccination, your cat will be immediately euthanized according to the law. If your cat has been vaccinated, but not recently, the cat must be quarrantined at a vet clinic or shelter for 10-30 days depending on your local laws.

As for the rest of the vaccinations, get the FRCP (panleukopenia, calicivirus, rhinotracheitis) and rabies. If your cat will ever go outside, it should be tested for FeLV and vaccinated for it. DO NOT get FIP or FIV.

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...ines_JAVMA.pdf

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

The rabies vaccination is to protect PEOPLE, not pets. The incidence of human rabies exposure has decreased exponentially since the implementation of regular vaccination of pets.

Also, if your cat bites someone and you do not have proof of a rabies vaccination, your cat will be immediately euthanized according to the law. If your cat has been vaccinated, but not recently, the cat must be quarrantined at a vet clinic or shelter for 10-30 days depending on your local laws.

As for the rest of the vaccinations, get the FRCP (panleukopenia, calicivirus, rhinotracheitis) and rabies. If your cat will ever go outside, it should be tested for FeLV and vaccinated for it. DO NOT get FIP or FIV.

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...ines_JAVMA.pdf
I already said I had to get rabies because they are mandatory. If they were not mandatory, then I would not get them, because the cats do not go outside. My cats would not bite anyone as they hide when people come over.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spyral, I haven't looked at the health plan. I only know that we rescue cats, and we've tended to keep the *special* ones. Two of our three males had urinary tract blockages from crystals in their first three years. One had crystals form on his bladder wall, and that required VERY expensive diagnostics to discover and surgery to fix. He got an autoimmune disease, required extensive testing, a blood transfusion, and HUGE amounts of medical care for several years - with very expensive medicine. Our little Flowerbelle went through heaps of problems, required several surgeries - one of which was to have her eye out.

All of this is to say.... with a cat from a breeder, you shouldn't have the kinds of problems our ferals did - but with male cats, blockages and crystals can be a real problem. Surgery of just about any kind is expensive. I'd check the policy for the costs of surgery, the costs of imaging diagnostics - and most importantly, if you go with the plan, if you have ANY questions about the care your kitty is receiving if he ever does become ill, make sure you are prepared to take him to another vet that isn't covered by your plan for a second opinion.

Laurie