Highest calorie canned food?

laurencoombs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized that my vet's office closed for the holidays yesterday and I didn't get any a/d to last over the holidays, I completely forgot

I have a can of Nature's Variety Raw Instict Rabbit, but it's only one can.
Anybody know what the highest calorie canned food is, or what kind would be good for a cat recovering from fatty liver disease?
I'm looking for something that is more of the jellymeat type than the chunky type.

TIA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurencoombs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there is a pet supply store that has all the premium brands, I'm just looking for suggestions as to what kind would be best. With the dry food it has the calorie count on the bag, but I can't find it on the wet foods.
I have enough for 2 more days, and the supply store is open on Monday.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to think .... kitten food comes to mind ..there are some with14% protein 10 fat

laurencoombs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I know the NV has 9% protein and that's higher than the a/d, I believe the fat is higher as well, but I haven't opened it so I don't know the texture.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a Petsmart or a Petco near you? If so -pick up some Nutri-cal - it's a high calorie supplement that you can give to the kitty to help with energy levels/etc. It is very good!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stuff I got at walmart is called NaturalLife and it has a minimum of 10% protien and fat of 5% minimum!
I can go through all the ingredients and put them on here if you want me to and all the values! Just let me know! I know walmart is a store that is located almost everywhere but the downside to this is it is alot more expensive than the other kinds! The other kinds are $1.06 for four cans and this one is $.80 per can!! But my kitties really like it and its suppose to be alot better for them!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be able to contact an Emergency Vet in your area, explain your situation to them, and purchase a can or two of a/d. I think Eukanuba also makes a comparable product called Max Calorie (which is also only available from vets, but you might be able to get from the E Vet instead of a/d.) Good luck!

I also keep this link bookmarked to refer to, from time to time! (Great minds think alike!)
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

If you are unable to purchase food at the E Vet, look through the foods listed on the above link and just get the highest calorie one (remember to check can size, as calories are listed per can.) If it's the wrong consistancy, you can always put it into a blender with a bit of water to make it easier to syringe. Good luck!

laurencoombs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a Petsmart or a Petco near you?
Unfortunately no. I'm going to see if the supply store has NutriCal, I've heard of that for dogs and the supply store seems to have everything.

the downside to this is it is alot more expensive than the other kinds! The other kinds are $1.06 for four cans and this one is $.80 per can!!
I spent almost $1.84 for the can of NV rabbit, lol, so that seems cheap!
Thanks, I think I'll check out WalMart today and see if they have any, would you mind telling me what the can looks like, just so I don't end up spending hours there trying to find it?

Thanks for the link, it seems like the NV has a lot higher calorie count than a lot of the other foods!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten foods are going to be higher in calories--actually much higher than a/d. Science Diet a/d only has 180 calories. You might try Innova--it's around 220 calories. If you're syringe feeding, you may need to blend it a little, as it's a bit chunkier than the a/d.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pet Promise, has 10% protein and has no byproducts or carbs. Fred Meyer, Kroger, QFC sells it for about$1.09 a can.

Anything she'll eat though will be better than nothing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraG

Pet Promise, has 10% protein and has no byproducts or carbs. Fred Meyer, Kroger, QFC sells it for about$1.09 a can.

Anything she'll eat though will be better than nothing.
IT does have carbs .... rice , potato have good amounts of carbs

true anything is better than nothing but try to find the highest fat and protein will yeild the highest calories usually

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

IT does have carbs .... rice , potato have good amounts of carbs

true anything is better than nothing but try to find the highest fat and protein will yeild the highest calories usually
Oops, my apologies. At least it isn't the usual carbs.

I should add that in the 1980s, I had a cat that ended up with fatty liver. She was the 2nd cat in vet history to get a stomach tube put in place for feeding for the condition. She had a slurry of high calorie/fat canned food fed in the tube. She fully recovered and at the time, the vet was most concerned that she simply eat on her own. So initially, the concern wasn't the kind of food, but simply that she ate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraG

Oops, my apologies. At least it isn't the usual carbs.
Just an fyi ... most common sources of carbs in premium wets ... rice or brown rice , potato , peas , oats

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im glad you found the food! Walmart rocks, its my favorite store and I like it even more not that they are starting to carry SOME decent cat foods! I hope he does really well and heres some for you and him!