Destructo cat

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zekkie just loves to create havoc. I put out the cat fountain for him a few days ago. He promptly knocked the plant off the shelf, spraying dirt everywhere (including the fountain). Today, I went to clean up the fountain and realized there was something missing--the filter. I'm sure I put it in there, but I also know that Zekkie had stolen in before I set the fountain up to begin with. I have no idea where he hid it, so I had to pull out a new one. I wonder how long it will be until he grabs the new one too.

Meanwhile, he's tearing through the house like a crazy cat. He pulled an empty laundry detergent bottle off the shelf above the washer, again, and has knocked over countless other things in the last 10 minutes.

Any ideas on what to do to entertain Mr. Destructo? I'm thinking of buying a few crickets since he seems to enjoy bug-catching. I'd start by releasing one in the bathroom to see if he'd actually catch it so I don't end up with bugs everywhere. I already know he likes to hunt--a few weeks ago I came home to a dead mouse on my floor, when I didn't even know I had mice.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the crickets sound like a great idea! (
why didn't I think of that?)

They also have these neat little "robot lasers" if your kitty likes to chase laser pointers. It's a base that projects the laser for you so you don't have to...
I've seen them at Petco and Petfood Express

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about the crickets - I'd ask a vet about potential parasites.

For one of our more energetic kitties, we put out birdfeeders. If you have big windowsills, or can put a cat tree next to a window - or even if you have deck doors (which we have) - scattering bird seed on the deck and putting the suction-cup bird feeder on the window (or in our case, deck doors) keeps the kitties entertained for hours. It's been years - and they all still attack the window!

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crickets can carry parasites. It depends mostly on the supplier and how they're kept. Common knowledge among herp keepers - Flukers is bad and have had insects test positive for carrying stuff.
Those usually stocked at petsmart and petco, that come in the little premeasured boxes are nasty too.

I second the laser pointer. They don't chirp.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ew I didn't know about the parasites...

even the ones they stock at the pet stores? hm. that sux.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I end up buying the crickets, I would be buying them from a local pet store. I could even go to the local reptile store near my work--I would guess that they are more likely to have healthy crickets. Do you know what parasite they carry? I wasn't sure if crickets would be safe/healthy--thanks for bring it to my attention that they could have parasites. I do have a fish tank that Zekkie loves. He also climbs on the cat tree that is nearly to the ceiling. It has a couple of toys hanging off it--he managed to get them both off on the first day. On one, he broke the chain, and on the other he bent the metal ring that attached it. I've reattached one of them, and he enjoys playing with that. I bought him a refill for Da Bird (he ate the remaining feathers a few weeks ago) for Christmas as well as a new mouse (he loves tossing them in the air). He has a million toys (and Odo as a companion), but he's a very busy boy and they never seem to be enough.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought Seamus a toy that you turn on and it has the moving mouse on it... he'll get it Christmas morning and we'll see how it goes... but maybe something like that to entertain him and keep him guessing... that was my though buying it today... Seamus is pretty bored with the same old toys lately so he's getting a bunch of new ones for Christmas.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

If I end up buying the crickets, I would be buying them from a local pet store. I could even go to the local reptile store near my work--I would guess that they are more likely to have healthy crickets. Do you know what parasite they carry? I wasn't sure if crickets would be safe/healthy--thanks for bring it to my attention that they could have parasites.
All sorts of insects, rodents, birds, amphibians, and even reptiles themselves can act as intermediate hosts for parasites -bit of info for those that let their cats catch and eat any of those, there's always a bit of risk.

Crickets are usually associated with carrying/infecting reptiles with pinworms. No idea how this parasite may affect cats.

What you can do if you wish to get a few crickets. Look around the store itself, is it clean? are the animal cages there clean and not overcrowded? People that let animals sit in waste aren't likely to keep the crickets enclosure clean.
If all looks well, ask to see how and where the crickets are kept. Look for dead crickets, a large amount means something is wrong with the crickets or the cage isn't cleaned (this should be done daily). If the smell is overwhelming from a large amount cricket poop, you might want to avoid it too.

Tips to stop chirping - cut the wings off.
That can be made easier by putting the crickets in a plastic baggy and placing them in the freezer for a few seconds.

There you go... more information then you or anyone else, that doesn't keep reptiles, wanted to ever know about crickets. (I could go on if anyone wants to know detailed cricket care too!
)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wouldn't risk the crickets, I'll tell you why!

A few years back, some of our downstairs neighbour's reptile food got into our flat. Chirped from before dusk to 3am every night all summer, fortunately when colder weather came they died. But it was AWFUL! It was before we had cats, but the cats couldn't have got them all because they ended up behind cupboards and pipes, and behind the plasterboard. I caught about 10 myself using a mixture of luck and an upturned pint glass.

We didn't get a wink of sleep for months, they sound quite pleasant outside, but when it's indoors a few metres away from where you're trying to sleep, or behind the walls, it's pretty dreadful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a lizard as a kid, and I didn't really mind the cricket chirping--I only minded finding out that I had been sleeping on a dead cricket for a couple of days after I rolled over on an escapee in the middle of the night.. If I try it, I'll start with putting one in the bathtub and closing the bathroom door. Zek catches moths and other little insects, so I would be surprised if he didn't catch the cricket. There's a really great reptile store near my work. I've been in there before looking for supplies for my hermit crabs (perhaps I'll get them a couple too!). The store is really well laid out and the people really seem to know what they are doing.

I'm off to tape down the lid the water fountain--and probably hunt for the filter again. This seems to be his new favorite game.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Epona - For as many as you had, it sounds like someone lost a whole box. Some people, depending on the supplier's packing, will have problems transferring crickets to a cage.
Average order sizes are 500 - 1000.I learned, I now transfer them outside.

In case there are any escapees, full grown adult crickets usually only live a couple of weeks.

liandre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For $10.00 you can pick up a "Cat Sitter" DVD at Petco. I bought one for my 2 cats and they love it. You can turn down the bird chirping and such if it bothers you, it works just as well. Make sure you have a chair near the tv so he can be comfortable watching it. Be prepared for cat paw marks all over your TV. : )
~~~Liandre

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liandre

For $10.00 you can pick up a "Cat Sitter" DVD at Petco. I bought one for my 2 cats and they love it. You can turn down the bird chirping and such if it bothers you, it works just as well. Make sure you have a chair near the tv so he can be comfortable watching it. Be prepared for cat paw marks all over your TV. : )
~~~Liandre
I've never heard of this! this sounds awesome cuz sometimes I like to leave the t.v. on for my furry friends.