Feral to Pet

molly158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three male indoor cats. I had been feeding a feral male cat for a while and then coons came. I read that a coon can kill a cat so I got a trap and after a few tries caught him. In August I set up it with a vet that he would let me come in with the cat once I caught him. He was tested, got his shots and nutered and released in a spare bedroom where he spent a month behind an area I had set up for him. He eventually went to my bedroom in the far corner of a walk in closet where he spent another month. My boys did not have a problem with him at all and would go visit. I estimate him to be about 1 1/2 -2 years of age. He started walking around the house at night and got along with everybody. In November he started eating out in the open with my cats and watched me closely. I never tried to get near him - only spoke to him. He would let me walk near by and did not move. Once in a while I was able to run my hand down his back while he was eating. He really like it but ran. Then he watched for me when he ate so I stoped. In December he started sleeping at the foot of my bed (on the bed). All my cats sleep with me. One night I woke and saw him sleeping so I very slowely moved closer so I could pet him. He was sound asleep and didn't have time to 'think' just 'feel' and he loved how it felt. But when he discovered (after about 30 seconds ) what was going on he fled. It happened once and a while 5-6 more times and he would let me pet him for longer periods -and of those times he was awake when I started the petting. A couple times he hit me with his paws but did not use his claws (boy was I glad). Then the last week or so he lets me pet him, he rolls over, allows me to pet his neck, all up and down his back and even rolls over and allows me to pet his belly. He dosen't want me to stop when I am rubbing in his ears. If he is on the bed or on the back of a sofa chair he will let me reach out and pet him even though I am standing -and he loves it. He will not however let me touch him when he is eating or when I walk near by and he is on the floor. He feels safe if he is on the bed or up high. I don't understand it but am thankful. I am so glad he is able to enjoy my petting him. He has brought great joy to me.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just love to hear stories like these!! You, my dear, have the patience of a saint to just allow this boy to come around when he is good and ready to. You are obviously very intuitive about cats!

Cats love to be up high to look down upon their world. If you can afford one, he might really love a tall cat condo.

I applaud what you are doing and would love to hear continued stories about him.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've obviously done a great job with this boy and you should be proud of yourself for taking everything nice and slow each step of the way.

I'm not surprised that he doesn't like to be pet while he's eating. I think that's true of most animals in general, but especially from a (soon to be former) feral cat. Who knows what lengths he had to go to in order to eat while he was out on the streets? He wants to be able to enjoy the food without having to "defend" it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by molly158

If he is on the bed or on the back of a sofa chair he will let me reach out and pet him even though I am standing -and he loves it. He will not however let me touch him when he is eating or when I walk near by and he is on the floor. He feels safe if he is on the bed or up high. I don't understand it but am thankful.
Our homecats, especielly the father, Muskis, do also like petting only when lying down on a sofa or bed. I dont know if Muskis being a shy cat has something to do with it??

Excellent your new cat uses his paws to show you when he doesnt want to be petted. In this way he is very easy.

Good job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses everyone, I love cats and have always had them. All of mine have been homeless but not feral. I feel all cats deserve to be loved and have food at hand - but I think they need to be indoors for safety.

I was very lucky my boys accepted him- and I do believe it was because of them he was able to come around. Also, no kids in the house, few noises. He about fliped when TV would come on or the ref.- and back to the closet every time the heat came on. He was sure it was after him. But he has adapted to them now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a love you are for rescuing this boy!!!!!!!!

We do find that our feral boys are much more social and accepting of newbies than our feral girls.

You did the exact right thing to earn his trust - you gave him what he needed (food, water - and SPACE) without asking for anything in return. In socializing ferals, so many of us get anxious and don't give them the time they need.

But he's one smart kitty - and obviously has a great meowmy!

Laurie