What I got my Dad for Christmas

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=bus...about&id=28755

My father has everything he'll ever need in his life. He's worked hard, and lives in a very nice home. Every year I struggle on what to buy him.

So this year I decided to donate money to the Kiva in his name. The lady in the above post lives in Viet Nam and needed $1200.00 USD to expand her chicken business. She able to supply eggs to all of her neighbors. She has 12 months to pay back the loan.

Now, I have a very warped sense of humor about all of this so I'm attempting to find a Christmas Chicken related card.

4blueyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure I completely understand this but t sounds like a good thing, a way to help people so if thats somthing your dad will appreciate I'm sure he'll love this. Way to go in finding smething special for him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4blueyes

I am not sure I completely understand this but t sounds like a good thing, a way to help people so if thats somthing your dad will appreciate I'm sure he'll love this. Way to go in finding smething special for him
It's a micro-credit organization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit

What happens is that a person in a developing country wants to start their own business, but he or she is unable to get a loan from a traditional bank. Either, he doesn't have enough of an established credit history to get one, or he needs such a small amount the bank laughs him out of the office. Micro-credit is the practice of loaning small amounts of money that are in that situation. Often times people really only need less than $100.00 to get product to get a business started.

Hence, the chicken lady in Viet Nam.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you sure did find a original gift! I have never heard of this before. Great idea I hope your dad really likes it. Helping others is always wonderfull. Its a loan? So you get the money back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Well you sure did find a original gift! I have never heard of this before. Great idea I hope your dad really likes it. Helping others is always wonderfull. Its a loan? So you get the money back?
Yep it's a loan! So I should get the money back and be able to loan it out again.

I'm excited about this process!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a fabulous idea! With just a little extra money, you can do good for one person after another after another, all over the world!
GOOD WORK!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin's mom is from Vietnam....lots of struggles and hardships in that country, i've heard story after story, and it just makes me soo greatful that i have never had to face a fraction of the hardships many others have. I think that your gift to your dad is just wonderful!!!
It will REALLY help those that need it the most - and instead of keeping things to your family circle- you'd really be paying it foward and sharing kindness/love...that goes such a long way!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great gift! If you can't find a chicken card, wrap up an egg and give it to him (hard boiled would probably be the best!
) Let him try to figure it out for a while, then explain it to him! His reaction would be priceless!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

What a great gift! If you can't find a chicken card, wrap up an egg and give it to him (hard boiled would probably be the best!
) Let him try to figure it out for a while, then explain it to him! His reaction would be priceless!
Oh how cute! I like that idea
You should fix up a little basket with a rubber chicken in it, a book about chickens, an egg, some fake $...aww it'd be cute!