First A Defective Printer: Now, No Computer!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ARGH!
I am so mad at my s/o!!

Something happened to our computer, and we had to do something called a "system restoration" (I think that's what it's called
). Before the process was to be started, there was a message saying that it shouldn't be done, unless there was some kind of back-up (if I recall correctly: all that computer talk confuses me). Anyway, I told my s/o that I didn't think we should run the program w/o finding out first if the program was already installed, b/c I didn't know. He stands there and tells me to go ahead, it's safe to do. I was really hesitant, but he just HAD to do it his way! The restoration supposedly ran its course, but after it was done, the computer froze up again, and now it won't do anything! We had a friend come over to check it out, and he said that b/c the program wasn't already on the computer like it should have been, the hard drive was probably destroyed.

I'm just so mad at my s/o right now!
Why did he have to think he knows it all, when he doesn't? I Why couldn't he just have left the darn thing alone, when he didn't know what he was really doing, and left it to someone else to fix??
Now we're w/o a computer again, with no money to fix it (I'm writing this from my "back-up" WebTV). I realize he didn't do it on purpose, but when you're not sure of what you're doing, DON'T MESS WITH IT!! Especially when it comes to stuff like a computer.

I'm sorry for ranting.
But I'm just so darn mad at him right now. If he just wouldn't have had to play "macho man", we wouldn't be in this pickle.

~KK~

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
system restoration- normaly means putting the OS(operating system) back on the PC like it looked when you first got it.
Part of that process it will normaly format your hard drive. Which will earse all the data that you have there..

if after the process the machine wont boot, that chances are you are having some type of hardware conflict. If you have printers, scanners, or anything type of devices hooked up during this time, then unplug them. if you have moved the PC make sure all the card and stuff on the inside are plugged in and tight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

system restoration- normaly means putting the OS(operating system) back on the PC like it looked when you first got it.
Part of that process it will normaly format your hard drive. Which will earse all the data that you have there..

if after the process the machine wont boot, that chances are you are having some type of hardware conflict. If you have printers, scanners, or anything type of devices hooked up during this time, then unplug them. if you have moved the PC make sure all the card and stuff on the inside are plugged in and tight.
Imp, I sure do appreciate all your advice/info, but I really have NO idea what you're talking about: I know nothing about all the technical computer stuff, and I'm not gonna mess with it anymore b/c I don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is.
I think I'm gonna contact my son who knows quite a bit about computers, and see if maybe he can walk me through it. Otherwise, a friend of ours who is in the Army is gonna be home on leave for Christmas, and maybe he can fix it: he's a genuis when it comes to computers! If he can't fix it, no one can!

I sure do appreciate your input.
But I'm not gonna touch it!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

So does that mean that all my programs & files are erased and gone for good??

~KK~

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

So does that mean that all my programs & files are erased and gone for good??

~KK~
Unfortunately, yes. When you reinstall, especially a 'clean' reinstall which is probably what you did, it wipes everything. Basically the computer is as it was when you took it 'out of the box' save for any hardware upgrades you may have had donesince you purchased it.

Now, I botched my 'clean' reinstall a few years back and all it did was give me a second copy of XP (BTW, I hate PC's now. I've had nothing but trouble... nothing). This computer (I have three, two are PC's but one has few issues... mainly because it never connects online) I mention is staying off right now because of some of those problems. My Navy friend thinks it's all because of how things are partitioned (I trust him to a point), but why act up now... it's had two copies of XP and its partitions for at least two years now... and it misbehaves now... I still think it's the motherboard (the thing that runs the whole computer, basically). So, he'll take it home after Christmas and play with it... he's going to see, at the least if he can salvage what's on my two hard drives (like ALL my music, which is a large collection), if not fix it. I'd rather just toss the piece of junk out a window... from a minimum of 5 stories up.

But I digress... I'd let your Army friend take a look. Don't you or hubby mess with it any more. I'd take the power cord and hide it from the hubby(so he doesn't do anything else), make him sleep on the couch at least one night, and then have the friend look at it.

Just my two cents...

Amanda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Unfortunately, yes. When you reinstall, especially a 'clean' reinstall which is probably what you did, it wipes everything. Basically the computer is as it was when you took it 'out of the box' save for any hardware upgrades you may have had donesince you purchased it.
I was afraid of that.
I talked to my son yesterday, and he said the same thing, too.
I could just smack my s/o a good one!
I have some stuff saved on a disc, but most of the programs and all were already installed when we got the computer (we got it from our landlady) and I don't have the discs to put the programs back on.
We're gonna have to start from scratch I reckon..

But I digress... I'd let your Army friend take a look. Don't you or hubby mess with it any more. I'd take the power cord and hide it from the hubby(so he doesn't do anything else), make him sleep on the couch at least one night, and then have the friend look at it.
That made me laugh.
I can't "punish" him by making him sleep on the couch, b/c I don't sleep w/ him anymore (I have a messed up back, and have to sleep in the spare bedroom on a hospital bed). Besides, I don't think he'll mess w/ it again: he knows how p/o'd I am.

I suppose I should be grateful that I still have my WebTV unit for back-up, but it sucks compared to having a computer. It's extremely limited as to what you can do, and it runs sooooo slowly: I have to wait for a minute or more, for most pages to load - it drives me nuts!
And the keyboard sucks too, b/c it sticks so badly and I have to pound the heck out of the keys when I'm using it.

When and IF we get the stupid computer fixed again, I'm gonna install an electric shock device, so my s/o never touches it again!

Thanks for your response & input, RSM. I appreciate it!
And I sure can relate to your frustrations, too. I'm about ready to throw both the computer AND the WebTV unit out the window myself!!

~KK~

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ARGH! Computer problems are the worst!! I had to system restore one tiem because of a virus..But I used the copies disks that I had made so that you still get your operating system up..I lost everything too, that is kind of the point I think..I wanted to "lose" the virus..so I had to lose everything else too. It does suck..I hope yours isn't that mucked up

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I've mentioned elsewhere I repair computers for a living and have done so for over 11 years now. I realize that you don't know me from Adam but if you had really important photos, word documents, etc. on the system I can probably recover them if you're willing to send the unit to me. I'd also reinstall Windows and try to find any programs you may need. However, the more you or anyone else does with the system the less information I'd be able to recover.

If interested, send me a PM and we can discuss details. The only money I'd ask for is $20 or so to cover return shipping and insurance.

Mez

PS - The friend who told you the hard drive was probably destroyed doesn't know jack about computers. Very rarely can software damage hardware and a failed system restore definitely won't do that.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, my hubby insists on "helping" me post pictures on TCS. He's got the comcast super password. So far, we haven't had a 100 % successful posting of a picture. Now, it may be comcast or it may be hubby. I should say that I have an MBA in management info systems but he has an MS from MIT. Uh huh. Maybe I should let Butzie supervise him!

Anyway, sometimes you can restore a hard drive. Just get those cute guys from CSI or Law and Order to help you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TroutsMom, Mezlo, & Butzie: I appreciate your input & advice also. Thanks!

I suppose it's possible I could have picked up a virus somewhere, and that's what messed up the computer - even though I had an anti-virus program running all the time.
Who can know for sure, when it comes to computers. That's ONE thing I do like about my WebTV: you never have to worry about all that junk w/ a WebTV unit.

Mezlo, I appreciate your offer, and may possibly take you up on it - although I think the cost of shipping the darn thing would probably cost more than the stupid thing is worth.
I'm gonna wait and see if our Army buddy can fix it first, though. As I've already mentioned, he's a computer genius, and I'm almost positive that he should be able to figure it out (he was a computer programer, before he went into the service). If he can't solve the problem and fix it, we'll take it from there..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

~KK~