Sweeney Todd!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered tickets for my daughter and me for tomorrow for Sweeney Todd from Fandango. 7:50 pm. Johnny Depp!
Years ago, I took my Mom to see it on Broadway. Angela Lansbury was in it. It was great and she was wonderful.
But, Johnny Depp!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been dying to see it for ages! I'd say years, even, since me and my sister are HUGE Tim Burton freaks, especially when Johnny Depp is with him. And this one has SINGING!

I'm going to get some free passes, though with the holidays I'm not going to be able to see it until Thursday. Maybe I'll try for Monday or Wednesday after work, but my sister gets to see it with her friends on Saturday. Traitor.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first heard that Johnny Depp was going to be in "Sweeny Todd", I thought it was a biography of the band "Sweeny Todd."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweeney_Todd_(band)

I saw a commercial preview of the movie and TBH I have no idea what it's about at all. But from what I saw it doesn't look like it's a movie that interests me.

He was in another movie that I haven't seen because it just looked too stupid. Never Never Land or something like that. It was on one of the movie channels and I tried watching it, but tuned out less than 15 minutes later because I didn't like it. Sweeny Todd looks along those same lines. So I doubt I'll be watching it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

When I first heard that Johnny Depp was going to be in "Sweeny Todd", I thought it was a biography of the band "Sweeny Todd."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweeney_Todd_(band)

I saw a commercial preview of the movie and TBH I have no idea what it's about at all. But from what I saw it doesn't look like it's a movie that interests me.

He was in another movie that I haven't seen because it just looked too stupid. Never Never Land or something like that. It was on one of the movie channels and I tried watching it, but tuned out less than 15 minutes later because I didn't like it. Sweeny Todd looks along those same lines. So I doubt I'll be watching it.
Its based on some musical I guess.

I love Tim Burton's stuff though.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definately want to see this one. I love both Tim Burton and musicals.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant wait to go see it
I am a big Johnny Depp fan
as well as Tim Burton! I just am to excited to see this movie, it looks so good

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The headline of the review in the L.A. Times said "blood-bath"......I love Johnny Depp, but.....blood-bath.....maybe not for me.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see this.
I'm a huge Tim Burton fan and I love gore!!

I'm a little dark that way sometimes...

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanna see it wanna see it wanna see it!

Sweeney Todd is based on the musical Sweeney Todd, which is about a guy whose wonderful life (and wife) is stolen and he... well... blood! Yay!

And Singggging!

Burton + Depp = Love!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love this musical! I got to see it live several years ago at Chicago's Lyric Opera house. It's my sister's favorite, and she has a stage version on DVD. Stephen Sondheim wrote the music and lyrics.

It's based off a fictional serial killer from early English Penny Dreadfuls.

We're very excited to see it, and will probably see it while I'm in town next week. My favorite song from is "A Little Priest".

I love both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter!

Tricia

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Johnny Depp and Tim Burton!

My 5 year-old is allowed to watch some Burton movies. Her favorite is Beetlejuice. She was the sandworm for Halloween this year (I made the costume). For Christmas, I am making her a sandworm stuffed animal.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its looks like an interesting movie. I heard on the news that Tim Burton and Helen Bonham Carter are married??

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard it's very..........um..........gory! And that Johnny Depp doesn't sing very well.......... Other than that, it's apparently excellent. That was just one critic's opinion though - I'm dying to see it!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I just ordered tickets for my daughter and me for tomorrow for Sweeney Todd from Fandango. 7:50 pm. Johnny Depp!
Years ago, I took my Mom to see it on Broadway. Angela Lansbury was in it. It was great and she was wonderful.
But, Johnny Depp!
thought it was one of the best pictures that I have ever seen.
My husband said that it was like a "Greek Tradgedy".

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen it twice already, and I love it! I have the songs stuck in my head all day (my fav is A Little Priest, but for the past few days, I can't get My Friends out of my head. And when the lines are work are long, I find myself thinking, "Don't we all deserve to die?" ("Even you, Mrs Lovett, even I" lol)

I thought everyone sang wonderfully, especially since they weren't trained as singers. They're trained ACTORS, yet they could still carry a tune and carry it well. It depends on the person, of course, but I thought the songs were catchy and quirky and easy to listen to more than once.

And yes, it's bloody. Apparantly that's the point of the broadway show, or it used to be, anyway. The show had really massive amounts of blood, obscene amounts of blood, that was part of Sweeney Todd's charm. Over the years, the production cut back on the amount of blood, and (according to Tim Burton) the production lost a little something as a result. So Tim Burton made sure to have a LOT of blood in the movie (in one killing, blood splatters the camera, lol).

For the record, the story is that there's a barber, Benjamin Barker, who has a wife and daughter. There's Judge Turpin, however, who lusts after Benjamin's wife (Lucy), so he convicts Barker of a false crime and sends him away to jail for life, and then tries to pursue Lucy. She spurns his advances, though, and then takes arsenic after a tramautic incident. Judge Turpin then takes in the baby (Johanna) and raises her as his own while he waits for her to become of age so he can marry her (part of his lust for Lucy, I believe). Fast forward 15 years, and Benjamin Barker is back, under a new name of Sweeney Todd. When he discovers that his wife and baby aren't waiting for him like he'd been dreaming of, it was sort of the last straw. It was that dreaming that kept him sane all those years, and now his family was gone. So he vows vengeance on Judge Turpin, and kind of "loses it" a little bit and starts killing other people. When he comes back home to London, he meets Mrs Lovett, who owns a meat pie shop under his barber shop. She is a lonely woman and immediately falls in love with Sweeney and will do anything for him. So the plan becomes this: Sweeney Todd kills his customers and sends their bodies down to the, well, lets call it the cooking room (not the kitchen). Mrs Lovett in turn bakes the bodies into meat pies, and serves them in her shop (which becomes a success; previously, she was known for having the worst meat pies in London). It's Mrs Lovett who cooks up this idea, and Sweeney who thinks it's brilliant. I thought it was an interesting plot that Mrs Lovett was so enchanted by Todd; he in turn was completely oblivious, yet she keeps trying to attain his attention. "My Friends" is a great display of this, as he's crooning to his razors ("You've been locked out of sight, all these years, like me, my friends." and "Now I've come home, to find you're waiting." The razors are basically the only family he has left). He's focussed on his razors, singing, and Mrs Lovett is singing in the background ("I'm your friend, too, Mr Todd") but he completely ignores her. It's just him and his razors in the room. But even though she keeps getting burned (and in some cases, threatened with a razor, lol), she keeps trying to win his affection. I thought it was really sad.

I hadn't heard of Sweeney Todd before this movie was made, but I'm fascinated by it. The story is just so sad, you can't help but pity Sweeney Todd and pity the fates of what might have been (if Judge Turpin hadn't been such a hormonal creep, a serial killer wouldn't have been born). Granted, I do love the Burton-Depp movies, and I admit I totally love the idea of Johnny Depp singing (is there nothing the man can't do?), but man, I just love this movie. Probably the most pulse-quickening scene is when Judge Turpin comes in for a shave (the poor sucker; he doesn't recognize Sweeney Todd, aka Benjamin Barker). Turpin and Todd are both singing ("Pretty Women," another good song, probably one of the best ones in this movie) and Todd is turning maniacal in tune with the music (as it's getting faster and faster), as he gets closer and closer to slicing Turpin's neck with the barber knife. Since I'm on the subject, here's a clip of that scene (Alan Rickman fans, he's the one playing Judge Turpin; I'm using this as bait to bring mom to see the movie, even though she HATES gore, lol)

And speaking of Tim Burton and Helena BonHam Carter: no, they're not married, but they're "together" (parters, just like Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paridis, who've been together 9 years and have two kids. I hear, though, that after the health scare with Lily-Rose, Johnny and Vanessa plan to marry in the spring). Coincidently, though, Helena got pregnant in the last half of filming Sweeney Todd (she herself says you can kind of see it in the movie, in the changing sizes of her bosom, lol), and she gave birth to a little girl almost exactly a week before Sweeny Todd opened in theatres.

EDIT: Jeez, can you tell I love this movie? lol